Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scotland in 8 days

inflatable jesus

I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
So it's time for my biannual 'I'm going back to Scotland, bringing an American, help me think of things to do' thread.

So I'm getting back in late September, got a wedding to go to down in Ayrshire, probably spending a few days up near Aviemore, swinging by Loch Ness to catch the monster then back to the central belt for 4-5 days. I'm thinking about a day out in Edinburgh and maybe one in Glasgow.

Any suggestions? I know next to nothing about being that far north and it's been about 7 years since I last lived in Scotland so I may not know what's good in Glasgow or Edinburgh any more.

My girlfriend is a 29 year old vegetarian who loves animals, local beers and wants to see some castles if that helps narrow it down. We're thinking more activity-related or involving food and beer than scenery type stuff.

Cheers

Urquhart Castle is good for Nessie-spotting.

Brewdog pubs in Edinburgh and Glasgow and possibly Inverness for good beer.

Have a look for Fuller Thompsn bar/restaurants - amazing burgers, lots of vegi options.

Ichiban on Dumbarton Rd two mins from Kelvinhall also does a good range of vegi food - very pocket-friendly prices.

Kelvingrove Museum & the Art School in Glasgow. Take her for a decent curry too.

Glenuig. The west is the best.

I like the Scottish and Scotland. They're just geordies with their heeds kicked in.

Glenuig-Beach.jpg

glenuig_scotland_7729.jpg

Good suggestions so far. I used to love Ichiban when I lived in Glasgow. I've never managed to find a yaki noodle dish I liked more than the one in there. As it happens I was talking to her about it last week when we went out for japanese food.

I've only ever been in the Art school union, is there something to do there besides get pished or stand outside and look at it?

Can anyone think of anything involving animals in some way? When we were looking at stuff near Aviemore she was trying to convince me to go to some kind of sheepdog demonstration. Can anyone help me avoid the 'One man and his dog' show by substituting something less terrible?

Good suggestions so far. I used to love Ichiban when I lived in Glasgow. I've never managed to find a yaki noodle dish I liked more than the one in there. As it happens I was talking to her about it last week when we went out for japanese food.

I've only ever been in the Art school union, is there something to do there besides get pished or stand outside and look at it?

Can anyone think of anything involving animals in some way? When we were looking at stuff near Aviemore she was trying to convince me to go to some kind of sheepdog demonstration. Can anyone help me avoid the 'One man and his dog' show by substituting something less terrible?
West end branch is much better than the one in town too.

You might consider doing a loop: Ayr - Glasgow - Oban - Fort William - Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh. I'd avoid Aviemore unless you want to get eaten by midges. You might also consider dolphin-watching out of Inverness.

I second Urquhart Castle. You can do a boat trip on Loch Ness to the castle and if you do don't do as I did and miss the boat back..:D

I love just driving around the West Of Scotland...gives me goose bumps just typing it. I can't think of specifics for animals other than dolphin watching and of course The Highland Cows which there will be plenty of. Will you be aiming to do a walk or would this be classed as scenery?

And if you do end up in Glasgow then you def have to IMHO do the Mackintosh stuff...I would do The School Of Art Tour then visit The Kelvingrove Art Gallery.

Whenever I take folk to Glasgow the police boxes always send them mental but I guess you need to a Dr Who fan.

You might consider doing a loop: Ayr - Glasgow - Oban - Fort William - Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh. I'd avoid Aviemore unless you want to get eaten by midges. You might also consider dolphin-watching out of Inverness.

Fort William is awful. It's just a giant sixties shopping centre selling tourist crap in the middle of the highlands with a few locals.

Fort William is awful. It's just a giant sixties shopping centre selling tourist crap in the middle of the highlands with a few locals.

Oh dear. I remember it being lovely country round there. But I suppose that was 25 years ago now.

the east coast, take the A1 south to coldingham and go to coldingham bay.

if it is good weather the views around the nature reserve are cool too.

if they like dolphins go to channory point* just north of inverness. can also vist fort george there

*tip go at high tide when the tide is turning for the best chance to see dolphins

If you're going to go to the Highlands do it properly. Ignore suggestions to go to Urquhart Castle or Aviemore or Oban etc. That's what everyone does, including all the busloads of Americans and you won't be seeing the best of what there is.

Get yourself up into the far northwest - the west coast starting from somewhere around Kyle of Lochalsh and northwards. And the islands.

Probably too late now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom