Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Say hello to Barratt Homes' 'Brixton Square' on Coldharbour Lane (old Cooltan site)

They can't even get the basic facts right.

Brixton Square is NOT on the site of a former warehouse. It is on the site of the old unemployment office/Cooltan squat and Voice offices.

I'm sure their original literature said flats were going to be from £250,000.

i love this line

Thanks to the government-backed NewBuy scheme, those qualifying can purchase a one-bedroom flat with a deposit as low as £13,250.

that is still 5% of the full ticket price for a basic flat. I know a lot of the talk is (rightly) about the setting of social rents and length of tenancys but if low income people did want to buy, getting that kind of money together for a blinking one bed flat is bonkers and is certainly not worth of a 'from low as' and pretending like anyone is being done a favour.

Just a question on details but did Barratt homes get the original permission? I may be wrong but thought planning was sought by Places for People and then sold on to Barratt last year? Applications as recent as Sep 2011 (and maybe later) are in the name Places for People. Regardless of whether it is right to have the s106 removed, Barratt are seeking changes to a planning application that they played no part in getting so the comparisons to Tesco in Streatham Hub don't seem quite right. It would be a shame if the protest could be dismissed as uninformed or alarmist on that technicality.

But my understanding is that Barratts bought the site with the planning application that Places for People obtained. It got passed onto them. This made the site more valuable. It also meant that Barratts could start building. The Section 106 went with the site.

It is not unusual for someone to sell on a site with the current planning permission.

They played no part in getting the planning permission but they benefit from it being in place when they acquired the site. It would have been reflected in the value of the site.

The ploughed ahead with building works then started moaning about the onerous Section 106. There problem as far as Im concerned.

It irrelevant whether they got the original permission.

And the other thing is that this is about what local people feel about the demise of Social rented housing with secure tenancies. The whole point of using Section 106 agreements was to make sure that social rented really affordable housing was available on large private developments. Its a political issue. There should be a social mix in local neighbourhoods. Cleaners should live next to City professionals.

Connections to Victoria via the Victoria line are within seven minutes and The City can be reached in under twenty minutes.

Gary Patrick, regional sales director, comments:

“Brixton Square is very convenient for young professionals working in the City, with a commute of under twenty minutes by underground. And Brixton Village, an excellent place for meeting friends and shopping, is on the doorstep.

“And living at Brixton Square is affordable thanks to NewBuy, offering a real opportunity for those renting in the area to step onto the property ladder.”

FFS it used to be that those selling in Brixton went for the media/ creatives/ advertising crowd. This is going for the City boys. They have more money that creatives. Especially as the industry has been bailed out by Government.

Brixton Square, a brand new development on the site of a former warehouse, borders Brixton Village, a vibrant indoor market that offers fresh market produce as well as high quality restaurants, bars and shops. Some of the popular names in food that have flagship restaurants within the market are Honest Burger and Mama Lan, the latter of which appeared in Channel 4’s Gok cooks Chinese. There is also a wide selection of independent shops and delis such as Cannon & Cannon, the British cheese and charcuterie and Market Row Wines. Entertainment in the area includes the popular Ritzy cinema and Brixton o2 Academy.

They only mention the recent delis and independent shops :facepalm: Some of the older places like Rosies have been successful for a long time.

(Next bit is a little off topic)

Here is my favourite, so far, RSL advertisement for places on Effra Road.

http://www.lqgroup.org.uk/_assets/files/Effra-Rd-Brochure-FNL.pdf

The front page pics on the Brochure are of McDonalds and the Underground because these are the most important things in Brixton! The next images are of a street in Shoreditch (because none of our possibly look any good) some fruit and veg, a random pond and the Brixton Academy (and when it was a Carling Academy which is awhile ago).

You can only apply if you live in Lambeth yet the brochure explains what Brixton is like...:facepalm:

i love this line

that is still 5% of the full ticket price for a basic flat. I know a lot of the talk is (rightly) about the setting of social rents and length of tenancys but if low income people did want to buy, getting that kind of money together for a blinking one bed flat is bonkers and is certainly not worth of a 'from low as' and pretending like anyone is being done a favour.

The problem there isn't that they're asking for a 5% deposit, it's that it's 5% of a stupidly large sum of money, which reflects how insane house prices are in London.

Typical deposits for first time buyers are about 20%, which has been averaging out at something like £60,000 in London, which is just an unthinkable amount of money for pretty much anyone who is relying on saving from their income to build a deposit.

So yeah, it really is "from as low as...", nuts as it sounds. This NewBuy scheme is one of the only ways you can buy with a 5% deposit at moment, because ordinary 95% LTV mortgages are all but non-existant.

I've only really skim read their application and it seems to be arguing that the economic climate has affected project viability. I would say something like this:

Permission was originally given to Places for People to build the ‘Brixton Square’ on the basis of having socially rented housing. Barratt Homes then bought the site in the knowledge of this and should not be allowed to break that promise.

Barratt's application to remove the s106 points out that the original discussions for the site (by original developers People for Places) date back to 2005 since when the financial environment has changed. They also cite deflated private housing markets as an obstacle to development viability. Whilst parts of the economy are undoubtedly struggling in a way that was not forseeable in 2005 it is worth highlighting the fact that, according to the Land Registry House Price Index, average flat / maisonette prices In Lambeth for 08/2012 are currently indexing 143 against 08/2005. Notwithstanding, Barratt only purchased the site from the original developer last year and would have been well aware of the moribund financial climate when calculating the site value. Despite the prevailing economic gloom, the same Land Registry figures show that flat / maisonette prices are currently 8% higher than they were at this time last year when the deal was negotiated as well as 8% higher than they were at the peak of the market in August 2007. Furthermore the latest Findaproperty.com rental price index is showing inflation of 9.3% year on year Q1 2012.

Actually this is useful background info to Barratts whinging about the viability of scheme.

Though I do not think Barratts are saying its not the private sales that are affected. My reading is that they do not think its possible to get a traditional RSL interested in acquiring 13 flats for social rent in the present economic climate.

What I am not clear on is whether Barratts would be obliged to sell the 13 flats to an RSL at a lower price than market price? I do not know how the system works on these Section 106 agreements.

As Brixton Hatter said the original Section 106 would be useful to see.

A lot of there argument is that the environment and funding for "affordable" housing providers has changed radically in since the original Section 106. So from Barratts point of view they are reasonably working with officers to find a solution that works. Otherwise the flats would be left empty.

I don't think it's that simple. They're trying to widen the scope from the original which defined RSL as being registered with the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA). However, these days you can be registered with the HCA and still be a private for-profit landlord (there was a rumour that a supermarket was registering with the HCA). And you can be unregistered and not-for-profit. So it's not a clear distinction between profit/non-profit.

Yes it something Barratts imply in there covering letter. They go in detail into the changing face of "affordable" housing providers.

I suppose what I really want is traditional RSL Housing Associations who build houses/ flats for a secure tenancy with a social rent not one linked to private rents for the area. . But they are increasingly behaving more like developers due to the financial system they work under now.

The increasing lack of a clear distinction is exactly what this ( and up to a point the last ) government have been moving towards.

FFS it used to be that those selling in Brixton went for the media/ creatives/ advertising crowd. This is going for the City boys. They have more money that creatives. Especially as the industry has been bailed out by Government.
City big cheeses will still live in Hampstead, and junior city types don't earn anything like what they are rumoured to. This is aimed squarely at the buy to let brigade- persuading them Brixton is a safe place for suits

City big cheeses will still live in Hampstead, and junior city types don't earn anything like what they are rumoured to. This is aimed squarely at the buy to let brigade- persuading them Brixton is a safe place for suits

You could be right. I noticed that Barratts say on the link that the flats would be good for buy to let use.

lambeth has the highest number of council tennants in inner london. These post's go on about diversity, and as soon as people not like you want to move into brixton , you complain... Whats so wrong with as you call them suits move in and bring some much needed cash into the local economy ? that cool tan site has been a dump for over a decade, and think much needed housing is good for the area.

Lambeth has the highest number of council tenants in inner london. These posts go on about diversity, and as soon as people not like you want to move into Brixton , you complain... Whats so wrong with as you call them suits move in and bring some much needed cash into the local economy ? That Cooltan site has been a dump for over a decade, and think much needed housing is good for the area.
So what precisely prevented the owner from building housing on that site 10 years ago? If it was a dump it was because it suited someone that it was a dump.

Are we either in favour of robbing banks or speculating on property on these boards these days? Hmm. More thinking needed.

So what precisely prevented the owner from building housing on that site 10 years ago? If it was a dump it was because it suited someone that it was a dump.

Are we either in favour of robbing banks or speculating on property on these boards these days? Hmm. More thinking needed.
i think you should ask barratt homes or who owned the land before why its been empty ? probably been left like that because of planning permission, then the recession. why do you know why its been left empty ?

lambeth has the highest number of council tennants in inner london. These post's go on about diversity, and as soon as people not like you want to move into brixton , you complain... Whats so wrong with as you call them suits move in and bring some much needed cash into the local economy ? that cool tan site has been a dump for over a decade, and think much needed housing is good for the area.
The housing which Barrat Homes want to put on that site won't fit local need, which is for genuinely affordable social housing. :facepalm:

The housing which Barrat Homes want to put on that site won't fit local need, which is for genuinely affordable social housing. :facepalm:
My point is that whether you believe we need social housing, penthouses or family accommodation, no-one can force Barratt's or anyone else to build. If it was left empty it was because it was more profitable left empty.

Thinking people have coming with the idea of a land tax or wealth tax to discourage this kind of non-use of valuable natural resources. I'm sure you could google it.

lol :D

<snip>If it was left empty it was because it was more profitable left empty.

Thinking people have coming with the idea of a land tax or wealth tax to discourage this kind of non-use of valuable natural resources. I'm sure you could google it.
You don't realise how many courses etc were run for several years on the Cooltan site then? Nor how much benefit they were to locals? I'm sure you could google that, sweetie.

Yes, the recession. I'm sure the directors of Barratt Homes are struggling to make ends meet.
yes the recession , the directors of barratt homes are not a charity, they build homes to make a profit obviously, but the flats they build are still needed

You don't realise how many courses etc were run for several years on the Cooltan site then? Nor how much benefit they were to locals? I'm sure you could google that, sweetie.
No no no
I think you misunderstand my point. In that case it *wasn't* empty. When I say "empty" I mean "unproductive", and it is often in the interests of a developer to leave a site "empty" for a while in order to make better profits later.

If Barratt's gave it back to a squatter or community group while they were waiting for property prices to rise then I admit I have underrated them.

more homes more competition , which should be better than less housing, less availability equals higher rents.... why cant a house builder build homes on an empty site ?

Back
Top Bottom