Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Save Lambeth Libraries and the Carnegie Library occupation

Really good turnout despite the weather

One of the speakers said that council had rejected a funded proposal to keep the libraries open yesterday. Anyone know any more about that?

Photos:

save-our-libraries-march-2016-01.jpg

save-our-libraries-march-2016-06.jpg

save-our-libraries-march-2016-08.jpg

Photos: large crowds gather in Brixton for Save Our Libraries rally and march

Really good turnout despite the weather

One of the speakers said that council had rejected a funded proposal to keep the libraries open yesterday. Anyone know any more about that?

From Brixton Buzz piece:

It will be the rejection of the Barnes proposal that will anger most library campaigners in Lambeth. This was the work of Susanna Barnes, the much-respected Head of the Library Service in Lambeth.

Cllr Edbrooke has dismissed this proposal, stating:

“Their assessment found that while the Staff and Community Mutual proposal contained some good proposals for service improvements, there was not a business plan in place that could deliver the significant savings required by 1 April 2016.”

Greenwich Leisure Ltd has yet to publish a business plan for the book-ish gyms that will continue at Carnegie and the Mine

Who called the OB?

Coincidently I was at Brixton Neighbourhood Forum meeting tonight. Brixton high up cop turned up to speak. Interesting discussion about policing.

Said that it was the Council that called the police over the Carnegie occupation.

We were discussing the difference between straightforward policing ( theft etc) and keeping "public order". This was live example of the situation that police find themselves. A political dispute rather than a criminal one.

I did say to him with what is happening in London ( increasing divide between rich and poor , the Tory cuts hitting the less well off bigtime) that social conflict is liable to increase.

They put a request on twitter for soap, toothpaste, etc. @Defendtheten seems to be the main account.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom