Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

San Francisco campaign threatens workers with redundancy if they demand a living wage

No need for help from the orient, Uncle Sam already has the technology to deal with restive workers

090127f7383p004_2.jpg
its not like they've never hired thugs to drop bombs on striking workers before- in their own country too

[QUOTE="Lemon Eddy, post: 13286554,

There's also the slight issue that most people don't want to go to a restaurant running a skeleton staff where you place your order via a tablet. That's before we get to the health and safety issues of passing a touchscreen interface amongst people eating at a restaurant.[/QUOTE]

Especially one that serves raw fish to Australians.

I refuse to use the things. If they want my money, they provide someone to collect it, otherwise, I go elsewhere. Mrs Sas has refused to go to ASDA with me again, because when directed to a 'self service' checkout, I put a trolley load of stuff on the belt and walked out. Resist these fucking things, sabotage them by clogging them up, and the shops will maybe see the light.

My goodness. That sounds awfully like direct action, Sas :D

:thumbs:

The opposite is true in the UK. Lidl and Aldi, whose selling campaigns are based on quality at a good price, have increased their market share greatly in the last twelve months. The 'big four', ASDA, Morrison's, Tesco and Sainsbury's are seeing their market share eroded.

That's the 'squeezed middle' moving down a rung, joining skint people who already shopped at netto/Iceland etc.

The downward movement is probably a concern to the 'big four' but they're unlikely to push for higher minimum wages which would increase their costs.

(I've shopped at Aldi for quite a few years, one thing I don't miss is all the bullshit two-for-one offers etc. from the big shops which are borderline insulting).

I refuse to use the things. If they want my money, they provide someone to collect it, otherwise, I go elsewhere. Mrs Sas has refused to go to ASDA with me again, because when directed to a 'self service' checkout, I put a trolley load of stuff on the belt and walked out. Resist these fucking things, sabotage them by clogging them up, and the shops will maybe see the light.
When they ask me if I want to use them I ask them if I'm going to get a discount for doing their job for them. They usually leave me alone. At a couple of stores where I've had no choice and then the bloody thing wasn't working properly I've upended baskets of food over the thing and stormed out a couple of times.

The minimum wage thing is a bit of a red herring. What's going to happen is they'll just get replaced by automation anyway, if it's possible. The utopian future where everyone can work less is almost here! :hmm:

Almost as comical as the future they sold us where both men and women can work and that'll be a good thing, because it'll mean we can all work less and have more money as well as letting women be equals :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom