Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Samsung Galaxy Nexus coming soon - could this be the phone of 2011?

Launch is set for Oct 19th now - 9.30am Hong Kong time, 3am UK time.
icecreamsandwich.jpg

That all depends on the quality of the sensor and the lens etc. An 8MP camera will not automatically be better than a 5MP one, not by a long chalk.

not too bothered about the camera, as has been said more MP does not mean better pics, but i had hoped more MP would lead to a better sensor. the leaked, probably false battery specs of 2000mAH+ had me interested tho. what's the best battery on offer at the mo, anyone know?

not too bothered about the camera, as has been said more MP does not mean better pics, but i had hoped more MP would lead to a better sensor. the leaked, probably false battery specs of 2000mAH+ had me interested tho. what's the best battery on offer at the mo, anyone know?
I think the best batteries right now are about 1850/1900mAH. You'd think with the tech industry being the massive game of Top Trumps that it is Samsung would push the boat out abit more.

Don't care about the camera, but disappointed if it doesn't have a micro-SD card capability.

Not again, FFS! These Nexus phones are meant to be developer phones, how are you meant to develop if you can't do something basic with your app such as move it to the SD.

From engadget:
  • Option to use virtual buttons in the UI, instead of taking up capacitive touch buttons
  • Widgets are in a new tab, listed in a similar list to apps
  • Folders are much easier to create, with a drag-and-drop style similar to iOS
  • A customizable launcher
  • New phone app with visual voicemail functionality that lets you speed up or slow down voicemail messages
  • Pinch-to-zoom functionality in the calendar
  • Gmail has offline search, a two-line preview, and new action bar at the bottom
  • Swipe left or right to switch between Gmail conversations
  • Integrated screenshot capture by holding power and volume down buttons
  • Improved error correction on the keyboard
  • Ability to access apps directly from lock screen (similar to HTC Sense 3.x)
  • Improved copy and paste
  • Better voice integration
  • Face Unlock, a facial recognition service
  • New tabbed web browser, allowing up to 16 tabs
  • Browser now automatically syncs your Chrome bookmarks
  • Modern "Roboto" font
  • Data Usage section in settings lets you set warnings when you reach a certain amount of use and disabling data when you go over your limit
  • Ability to kill off apps that are using data in the background
  • Camera app: zero shutter lag, time lapse settings, zoom while recording
  • Built-in photo editor
  • New gallery layout, organized by location and person
  • Refreshed people app with social network integration, status updates and hi-res images
  • Android Beam, a NFC feature that lets you exchange websites, contact info, directions, YouTube, etc.
  • Don't like some of those preloaded carrier apps? Disable 'em. Android Engineer Dan Morrill mentions that, among other new features, any app can be disabled, and while it will still take up space in ROM, it won't be snatching any of your precious resources or clock cycles again if you don't want it to.

Don't like some of those preloaded carrier apps? Disable 'em. Android Engineer Dan Morrill mentions that, among other new features, any app can be disabled, and while it will still take up space in ROM, it won't be snatching any of your precious resources or clock cycles again if you don't want it to.

That's a good idea...I wonder how the phone companies will take it.

The new OS looks great. The notifications bar looks like it's borrowed a bit from webOS - very nice - the data limit settings are going to be really useful for some people and I like the idea of being able to slowdown voicemail. How can offline Google search work?!

Google say that ICS will run on any device that runs Gingerbread. So as soon as they release the source expect custom roms to start popping up in the usual places. :cool:

Google say that ICS will run on any device that runs Gingerbread. So as soon as they release the source expect custom roms to start popping up in the usual places. :cool:

Anyone know if it will be more resource hungry? I'll have a play if I can expect the same performance, but won't jump if it slows the phone down.

My Nexus One came up with low memory space yesterday on internal (take into account it only has 512MB internal) I have a 32GB SD in it also, which also packs in about 20GB worth of music. Massively disapointed that both Nexus followups have not had a MicroSD card slot. Not sure 32GB internal memory alone would suffice for me without losing functionality of what I already have. At least not for as long as I'd want the phone to last for.

Going to have to consider something else instead, Probably the new Razr or the Galaxy S II. Ultimatly I'll wait for CyanogenMod's supprted device list for their mod of ICS.

If what Google say is true that any device running Gingerbread can run it, then there might be life left in my N1 yet, but I think I'm going to have to upgrade to something with a bulkier internal memory sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom