Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Samsung Galaxy Nexus coming soon - could this be the phone of 2011?

Some bloke has done some jiggery-pokery to isolate the phone from the video and it doesn't look so curvy after all:

nexus-prime-cleaned-up-550x238-540x233.jpg

http://androidcommunity.com/a-better-look-at-the-nexus-prime-teaser-image-20111005/

Leaked specs. If true, it's a mean mo'fo' alright, knocking the 4S out of the park
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 9mm thin
  • 4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
  • TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 32GB of built-in storage
  • 5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
  • 1080p HD video capture support
  • LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
  • Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
  • NFC
  • 1,750 mAh battery
http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/06/samsung-galaxy-nexus-full-specs-revealed-verizon-wireless-exclusive/

That's exactly the point, internal stupid names are fine but using it for marketing is bloody odd. Especially as the names are more than a little shite!
It's easier to remember than numbers for outsiders.
Though we don't know why they choose desserts for their OS names, names are all in alphabetical order for each version. Cupcake > Donut > ... Ice Cream Sandwich.

GSM Arena reckon they've go the 'real' specs:

Exynos dual core 1.5ghz processor
PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU (same as iPad 2 and iPhone 4S)
8mp camera with 1080p video
2050mAh battery

If these are true then I'll be lining up to get one.

Assuming it's as epic as it looks like (i really like the curved screen, at least in theory) and that they don't take the piss as much as with iPhones I recon i'll probably be picking one of these up shortly after launch.

That's the fella. If it's the real deal and the screen is 4.7" it doesn't look as big in the hand as I thought it might.

I think the aspect ratio is different, so it's longer but not neccessarily wider, and as part of the screen is taken up by the buttons it doesn't seem so big.

I was concerned when I saw the first leaked photos that the bottom bezel was too large, but now I've seen this pic I really don't think it could've been much smaller.

Can't say I'm especially impressed by Ice Cream Sandwich so far, although I'll wait until I get the phone in my hands to decide. The Galaxy Nexus doesn't look too big in that video.

Seems that Samsung and Google thought that it perhaps may not be the best time to unveil the 'iPhone killer' at the same time as Steve Jobs' funeral was taking place. Good call.

Bollocks it's a good call. Steve Jobs was about innovation and new products, cancelling a launch is misunderstanding what the man was about.

I doubt it was out of respect tbh...seems to me it just makes good business sense, the amount of press Apple and Jobs is getting right now is staggering, that will convert into iPhone sales. No point going big until they dies down a little (excuse the pun!)...but you know I could be wrong, they might have just been really emotionally affected by the loss of Steve...maybe?

I recon they're going to take the extra time to hammer out some more bugs from Android 4.0. The timing was forced by the expected iPhone 5 release but the 4S isn't that much of an upgrade so they're not under the same pressure to spike the launch by announcing something that pisses all over it. Job's last PR stunt is just a byline.

Back
Top Bottom