Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

saffron threads

Indian grocery stores? They would probably be cheaper than supermarkets or specialty food emporiums.

Yep. You'll probably find them in a supermarket if you get pushed - look for oversized packaging masking a few threads, usually in the herbs and spice section - but they're cheaper elsewhere.

Any middle eastern or indian stores around you?

I;ve got a load at home right now. Don't get the in the supermarket, well expensive. Although some Asian supermarkets have them quite cheap.

I love saffron

I nearly suggested Brindisa, but thought that would seem both too poncey and expensive.

Hark at the spendthrift cook eh. Hope it goes well

I got a huge bag of the stuff years ago in Cairo for about a fiver. Probably not the best grade saffron, but still a few hundred quids worth at Schwartz prices. I think the remainder of it is probably well past its best by now though, if it didn't lose its flavour after a while I'd never have had to buy the stuff here again!

Got some at Borough Market which was really nice and a good price compared to supermarket saffron.

Three people liked it. One certain person (guess who) didn't and a child didn't either...

it wasn't that we didnt like it, the sauce was nice, it's just the meatballs were a bit bland (for me) and the child doesn't like beef. would have been lovely with some fresh chilli in :)

it wasn't that we didnt like it, the sauce was nice, it's just the meatballs were a bit bland (for me) and the child doesn't like beef. would have been lovely with some fresh chilli in :)

bland? I thought they were alright. Perhaps I could have put more wine in them? or more breadcrumbs? perhaps coated them in more flour? Don't know. Maybe they should have been smaller.

I don't go for the chilli idea though.

More breadcrumbs and flour would tend to take taste away flavour rather than add it.

I reckon that other folk around the table had less sophistimicated palates than you Rehlani. Clearly you should have lumped ten tonnes more salt and a couple of bonnets in there, plus more 'erbs and garlic
;)

You can always fry a little bit of the mixture for a taste test I guess. And if that fails, well there's always potato wedges from Rollem
:eek:

More breadcrumbs and flour would tend to take taste away flavour rather than add it.

I reckon that other folk around the table had less sophistimicated palates than you Rehlani. Clearly you should have lumped ten tonnes more salt and a couple of bonnets in there, plus more 'erbs and garlic
;)

You can always fry a little bit of the mixture for a taste test I guess. And if that fails, well there's always potato wedges from Rollem
:eek:

There was four of us and a child. It got the thumbs up from 3 of us and the child initially.

Oh yeah, blame the alcohol.

Still, there's one thing I'll say about your potato wedges; they captured the spirit of the potatoes in the field in way that only uncooked spuds can
:cool:

Nearly forgot about fight night. Move allowing, I'll bring a big tray of sticky ribs down for simple reheating. And we could have a chicken wing based tribute to Paul Newman if you fancy it - I've got his leering face on a bottle of sticky BBQ marinade and it's beginning to discomfort me from beyond the grave...

I think he's talking about covering your kitchen in flour as he makes the bases himself. Lola will help and you can clean up.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom