Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roughest/Nicest parts of Leeds?

joustmaster said:
A bit fighty, and people shooting up in your garden.

I've lived in a few of those places. The other half of the house I was lodging in in Armley was a probation house. Would smoke weed with some of the TWOCers who resided there. Can't remember much about Seacroft. Can't have been there long enough to form an opinion. Headingly was alright if you don't mind students. Roundway was very well to do. But that's where Savile lived who turned out to be the biggest crook of all. There's good and bad everywhere.

My mate lived in Harehills without any problems. I've heard Gipton is a bit tasty but have never been there.

Roughest part of leeds IMO is richmond hill - a lot of back to backs owned by landlords, many of them are tinned up and a fair few are burnt out. Most of the shops are bordered. The place is like a war zone.

You've got big social housing estates like seacroft, gipton, halton moor, middleton and belle isle which suffer from being isolated from the rest of city, high unemployement and tend to be dominated by a few families who've been there for generations. Theres a lot of people doing good work on these estates, but theres also a fair few cunts who dont like 'outsiders' - especially if they are black or brown.

Beeston, Harehills and Chapletown are rough and look it , but far more mixed, so you dont get targetted as not 'local' but you get a lot of drug related aggro and burglary. A lot of eastern europeans have moved in over the last ten years so this is changing the flavour of these areas. Chapletown I like - despite its problems - theirs a strong tradition of community action, a tolerance of oddballs and dropouts and a long standing west indian community. you could walk around chapletown painted purple wearing a bowler hat and a kilt and you wouldn't cause much of a stir. Harehills and beeston feel a lot meaner and depressing.

Little london, burmantofts and lincoln green are mainly tower blocks - very diverse, lot so of younger people from immigrant and refugee backgrounds. I live in little london and its poor, but pretty quiet.

Hyde park is a studnet ghetto - lots of shops, takeaways etc, lots of shit quality terraced housing. Very very high rates of burglary and would seem to be sliding back into being a dodgey area again.

Headingley is student dominated - but the more affluent ones. A nice place if you can put up with all the henrys and Henriettas.

Chaple Allerton is leeds' notting hill - 'the village in the city' - trendy, expensive shops, high rents, lots of young professionals/wankers.

Meanwood is nice - its quiet, pretty mixed, not far from city but quite surburban and boasts the best park in the city.

Adel, cookridge, Horsforth - affluent suburbia - meh. Adel woods are very nice though.

Roundhay, oakwood - very expensive suburbia.

Headingley is student dominated - but the more affluent ones. A nice place if you can put up with all the henrys and Henriettas.

My brother lived in Headingley when he was working in Leeds. He hated it. He said it had all the downsides of a student area in terms of noise, burglaries and finding people pissing in the garden or vomiting on his car, but it was also very expensive. That was a few years ago now, though.

To the people who say that Leeds is ruff. Come on give it a chance! You've probably only been to outh and east Leeds (rough parts) north and west are nice. Lived hear all my life. No trouble at all. I live in Yeadon (near the airport) and I have friends from Middleton, seacroft, harehills, chapeltown saying 'wow you must be rich to live I. Yeadon' . I live in a basic 3 bedroom house.

I would agree with the list but I would say only parts of Wortley and Morley are nice

Also nice parts Yeadon rawdon guiseley

And bramhope is well posh!! Millionaires row honestly!!!

Headingley, West Park's and Kirkstall are nice. I don't think Roundhay and Scotthall are too bad either.

I lived in Meanwood (Beckhill) years ago and it got very rough after we left but most of Meanwood's OK.

Most of Moortowns alright but there is some rough parts round there (usually worse at night), I've lived there in the past

Chapel Town's rough, people say Little London is rough but it seems alright to me n Seacroft's full of chavs.

It's been many years since I lived in Leeds, but in all the areas I lived in I never had a problem. Lived in Headingly, Hyde Park, Woodhouse Moor, Horsforth and Chapel Allerton. The big estates in the south and east of the city felt dodgier back then, but admittedly I didn't know that much about them apart from visiting now and again.

What do people mean by 'rough'?

Undesireable? Seems an awfully snobby thing to discuss.

Also very subjective - I don't know Leeds at all but I imagine it's similar to any other city -Some areas your face'll fit and you can make the place work for you, other places it won't and you won't.

Hi..Can anyone let me know how Halton is like to live? I am planning to mov in to Hunters Court on Hunters Way in Halton.

Halton Moor used to be a pretty rough area but was working there recently and chatting to local lad, he said it'd got much better in last few years

Hi..Can anyone let me know how Halton is like to live? I am planning to mov in to Hunters Court on Hunters Way in Halton.

Non-descript suburbia really. Not as rough as halton moor, not very ethnically diverse. Not a posh area.

Hello everyone, I have enjoyed reading your posts and it's time I ask for some advice: we are a family of 4 and are considering moving to the New Forest Village in Leeds. It's an LS10 post code but it seems nice there. Am I missing anything? Thank you for your time!

According to official Police statistics Harehills is the roughest area in Leeds.
- Chapeltown isn't rough but yardies moved there in early 2000 so there is a lot of drug dealers there, they also rioted about 3 times
- Lincoln green/burmantofts/Ebor garden is dominated by young adults (15-21yrs) that carry knives
- Beeston is quite bad but it has calmed down over the years
- Meanwood is a nice area but there is a few rundown parts of it
- Harehills is the Slums of Leeds. Stay away if you can.:eek:
- Gipton is a very poor and dirty area. Notorious for nicking socks (LOL:facepalm:) Full of crackhead chavs
- Roundhay is a very nice area
- Chapel allerton is a very posh area, very little crime
- Seacroft is a chavy area
- Moortown is good
- Little london is quite but deprived
- Belle isle is one of the worst areas in Leeds so stay away aswell

According to official Police statistics Harehills is the roughest area in Leeds.
- Chapeltown isn't rough but yardies moved there in early 2000 so there is a lot of drug dealers there, they also rioted about 3 times
- Lincoln green/burmantofts/Ebor garden is dominated by young adults (15-21yrs) that carry knives
- Gipton is a very poor and dirty area. Notorious for nicking socks (LOL:facepalm:) Full of crackhead chavs
- Moortown is good
get to fuck

- Moortown is good
I live in gipton, originally from cookridge and have lived in horsforth, Morley, tinshill, hawksworth, bramley, farnley and armley. Tinshill, horsforth and hawksworth - shithole, horsforth use to be nice, my mum still lives there with my brother and they say it's disgraceful now. Morley is nice. Bramley , farnley and armley are nice in parts but mainly armley is full of migrants now. I can honestly say that gipton, where I live now is nice and quiet- only bother is now and again kids flying around on bikes. I live closer to harehills than seacroft but visit both places quite a lot and seacroft is just full of Muppets that think there something there not. Harehills is the slums of Leeds but to be honest despite what you hear I have walked up there late on a night to the 24 hr shop and never had a problem, maybe just luck I don't know. I also no that beeston and holbeck are not too great beeston is full of thieves and drug dealer and holbeck is full of prostitutes and smackheads. In my opinion the best places to live in Leeds would be Morley, moorgrange though moorgrange is surrounded by bad areas it still is nice. Chapel allerton and meanwood are nice too just not beckhills or miles hills ( forgot to mention I lived on beckhill avenue around 13 years ago though it may of changed now when I lived there there were a couple of big families that had a reputation steels and rileys but got on with me fine though I did bray one of the rileys once so can't be too hard haha). Don't really know much about many other areas but I am aware parts of otley, yeadon and guisley are suppose to be nice.

My brother's just moved to Bramley. I don't know anything about it, apart from that it's on the other side of the valley, it's huge, Leeds Cougars American Football team used to play there, their fish n chip shops are busy, the neighbours are friendly, there are lots of huskys (well there are at least three on my brother's street) and some people are snobbish about it and the schools there.
Anyone know owt about it?

I live in gipton, originally from cookridge and have lived in horsforth, Morley, tinshill, hawksworth, bramley, farnley and armley. Tinshill, horsforth and hawksworth - shithole, horsforth use to be nice, my mum still lives there with my brother and they say it's disgraceful now. Morley is nice. Bramley , farnley and armley are nice in parts but mainly armley is full of migrants now. I can honestly say that gipton, where I live now is nice and quiet- only bother is now and again kids flying around on bikes. I live closer to harehills than seacroft but visit both places quite a lot and seacroft is just full of Muppets that think there something there not. Harehills is the slums of Leeds but to be honest despite what you hear I have walked up there late on a night to the 24 hr shop and never had a problem, maybe just luck I don't know. I also no that beeston and holbeck are not too great beeston is full of thieves and drug dealer and holbeck is full of prostitutes and smackheads. In my opinion the best places to live in Leeds would be Morley, moorgrange though moorgrange is surrounded by bad areas it still is nice. Chapel allerton and meanwood are nice too just not beckhills or miles hills ( forgot to mention I lived on beckhill avenue around 13 years ago though it may of changed now when I lived there there were a couple of big families that had a reputation steels and rileys but got on with me fine though I did bray one of the rileys once so can't be too hard haha). Don't really know much about many other areas but I am aware parts of otley, yeadon and guisley are suppose to be nice.
"full of migrants" fuck off.

My brother's just moved to Bramley. I don't know anything about it, apart from that it's on the other side of the valley, it's huge, Leeds Cougars American Football team used to play there, their fish n chip shops are busy, the neighbours are friendly, there are lots of huskys (well there are at least three on my brother's street) and some people are snobbish about it and the schools there.
Anyone know owt about it?
Angel and swarthy live there. The swimming baths are beautiful and there are mermaid classes for women (and possibly kids?). The daisy looks nice from outside but never been in.

I was actually looking out for Angel when i was there earlier! I was hoping they'd be neighbours. I don't think they'd get on though :D

Angel and swarthy live there. The swimming baths are beautiful and there are mermaid classes for women (and possibly kids?). The daisy looks nice from outside but never been in.
the Daisy was next to one of the ridiculously busy fish n chip shops
nearest pub was called The Rock. Looked OK.

Last edited:
Morley's full of racist twats, my mate and his missus bought a house there but had to move back to Harehills because of the amount of shit they got, in local pub etc.

Morley's full of racist twats, my mate and his missus bought a house there but had to move back to Harehills because of the amount of shit they got, in local pub etc.
:(

Two of my favourite wives lived there and conceived and brought up two of their kids happily till they couldn't afford the rent and had to move away. One is a human rights lawyer - if i knew this when they were still in Morley i would have asked them to kick arse if needed.

Harehills is lovely and i feel safe there :)

cocktails_neon_sign_063-B27-C.jpg

Tufty introduced me to Chapeltown Bellinis, which should be sipped through a Philippe Starcke twirly straw. Divine.

The recipe is as follows:

I part paint stripper
2 parts DDT
4 parts meths
crushed ice
Pinch of curry powder
Sprig of mint
1 cocktail sausage.

Back
Top Bottom