Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roath?

Gavin Bl

terrible awful baaad
Hi
Whats Roath like as a place to live? I'm thinking about living there, seems like a nice area up around the park there. Particularly family life, as I know its pretty heavily student-y.

Any advice on plusses and minusses?

cheers
Gav

It's great, albany/ welfield/ city Roads are lovely shopping streets, you're a short walk from the city centre, quick links to M4. Lovely properties and you've got a load of parks on your doorstep. Some good resturants and I LIVE HERE! :D

The only downside might be that it's quite studenty in parts.

I love it, have a bunch of mates who live there. If I'm going to live in Cardiff when I'm older, I want to live in Roath. :cool:

Oh and pigtails I live in Rumney, not really small world but I'm saying it anyway.

Lovely AFAIK so long as you choose the right area in roath... check the cardiff high catchment area for decent family streets...:)They wont be as studenty as ones which arent I suspect

We lived in Bangor St for a year, right opposite where the Starbucks is now :)(), and it was fucken lush having Roath Park literally on your doorstep.

Decent charity shops as well, if that's your thing!

Thanks folks - we had a look at Roath Park school on Friday, seemed really nice and friendly (though a teacher really effing annoyed me by saying that Welsh was 'just another language' at the school).

My plan to live up Birchgrove/Whitchurch way is dying miserably at my wifes unyielding desire to get the kids into Cardiff High.

I really like getting out into the sticks - would love to be able to go out onto the Wenallt/Caerphilly mountain, whenever I could, but without a car, the public transport options from Roath look a bit ropey compared to just taking a bus up to Rhiwbina. Also its to far to run out to, and have an decent amount of running time on the hills.

I sold the house a while back, and got voluntary redundancy from my employment in a well-known semi-state owned financial institution, so my year plus old plan to move to cardiff is coming into the cold light of day!

Just gotta get a job before the redundancy runs out, and decide which area it will finally be that we live in.....I can certainly see Roath's attractions, but I had my fill of student neighbours living in Brighton!

Decent charity shops definitely my thing - as my rather fetching tweed jacket testifies!

why dont you investigate the radyr area? both radyr and whitchurch highs have a really good reputation.... esp radyr and there are some decent properties in radyr, morganstown and danescourt :)

I live near there and its lovely:)

s'great family wise - loads of extra curricular stuff all within walk/bus is worth a lot imho, primary schools all good in their own ways, cardiff high catchment meh cos we're not in it :p actually the nicer areas to live seem to be without the catchment, cos you're not paying over the odds to live on one of the neverending streets by the park. our bit's low on students but we're prolly an anomoly.

can't help you with transport links to the sticks though, one of my favourite things is being within reach of civilisation at all times (scarred for life growing up in nwales :()

Roath's nice, If you stay down the Newport Rd end of Albany Rd, you'll be away from the students. How much you looking to spend?

I read somewhere that Roath and Cathays are the most burgled areas of Cardiff. A good place to live when you first move away from home. But maybe too much of a: 'I don't give a shit' attitude from its transient student population for family living. If you want to live on the east side try Penylan if you can afford it. Otherwise do the sensible thing and check out the west side of Cardiff.

Roath's only studenty in parts, though, I'd say. It depends which street you live on.
Roath Park Primary is a great little school, I've heard.

Roath's only studenty in parts, though, I'd say. It depends which street you live on.

Roath varies incredibly over just short distances. There are really nice streets only a few roads away from horrible student housing. If you can get anywhere near the parks then it's a great place to live.

Hi
Whats Roath like as a place to live? I'm thinking about living there, seems like a nice area up around the park there. Particularly family life, as I know its pretty heavily student-y.

Very expensive around the park. So yes very lovely but can you afford it, if you can... can you lend me fifty quid please? Go awn you got loads.

Other parts of Roath. Yes very studenty. I've heard there was a big complaint about the students' handling of rubbish before they bugger off for the summer but don't know much about it.

Some parts are also very asian. So closed communities if you aren't asian.

Got a nice live music venue in the Globe now I hear.

Close to town.

Lots of local shops and restuarants.

Someone mentioned Radyr. I'd concur. There's this little-known nature trail in Radyr which leads you out into what feels like the middle of the countryside. I think it just skirts various farms for a few miles. It's really cool.

Radyr ain't cheap either. More expensive than Roath. One of the higher council tax brackets.

The train link isn't bad but otherwise its a car oriented place.

The trail from Forest Farm to Taffs Well is great though. Plus the river with the wier etc. Popular with fisherfolk.

Be careful with catchment areas as my friend who lived on Colchester Av had to go to Llanedeyrn High School. I also went and although we both came out alive, him in Cardiff uni, me at Manchester, it is a fucking dump and I doubt you want your kids to be stabbed with needles on their first day of high school.

Be careful with catchment areas as my friend who lived on Colchester Av had to go to Llanedeyrn High School. I also went and although we both came out alive, him in Cardiff uni, me at Manchester, it is a fucking dump and I doubt you want your kids to be stabbed with needles on their first day of high school.

:D

Llandeyrn High = pussies. I remember playing them in rugby - they were even more sh*te than us and that's saying something.

:D

Llandeyrn High = pussies. I remember playing them in rugby - they were even more sh*te than us and that's saying something.

When half the school is on the mitch, helping the police with their enquires or high I'm surprised they managed to get enough people to form a team let alone a good one.

Back
Top Bottom