Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roath flood scheme, Cardiff

this one was still standing yesterday. a section of that timber could make a really beautiful frame in time. also the mosses could be kept. i would keep the mosses :oops::D if the job's going to be completed i can turn a bit into art rather than flogging or burning it...

is there any left that i can go claim a piece myself? that i can find out without actually getting up? :oops:

i got up :thumbs::D

Last edited:
Yes, we have indeed won a reprieve. From the campaign's Facebook page:

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has agreed to pause tree felling and construction in Roath Brook Gardens and Roath Mill Gardens (Phase 3 of the Roath Flood Scheme) for four months after listening to the views of the community and the concerns of the Roath Brook Trees campaign group.

This pause will allow us time to further scrutinise NRW’s modelling (the hydrology and hydraulic model used to predict the flood risk) and the options appraisal that selected the current design. We will be assisted by our own appointed professionals to review Phase 3 and if appropriate submit new evidence to NRW. NRW has committed to consider any new evidence prior to making a decision on how to progress. We will need to fundraise to pay the fees of these experts and will provide details of our fundraising as soon as possible. At this stage we think we may need to raise up to £5k. This will need to be reviewed once experts are formally appointed (although some work has already been undertaken).​

You can read more here - Reconsider Waterloo Gardens & Roath Brook Flood Defence Scheme

I take this with a pinch of salt. Under the regulations they can’t fell trees in the nesting season anyway. Think they maybe using a legal restriction on their activities and claiming it for PR!

You can take it with a pinch of salt if you like but we've already had two months out of them from protesting. It was raised in the Assembly Petitions Committee and AMs are starting to ask some awkward questions - like why have you spent £12.5m on this when there are places in Wales which are flooded regularly every winter.

You can watch it here Senedd.tv - Archive - Petitions Committee - 27/02/2018.

I'm hoping that the nesting restrictions will actually push them out until September in any event as the wildlife regulations mean they have to allow time for the chicks to fledge.

am horribly out of touch with progress on the scheme, whether it's on a permanent hold or what. while i scour the internet for news does anyone on this thread have updated status on the works?

the wild-ish part left at roath brook gardens (that was scheduled for works, now postponed) is beautiful atm. ancient specimen native trees with their complex ecosystems of mosses, lichens, insects, birds, squirrels (not sure about other mammals?) & undergrowing flowering plants seem to be really enjoying the wet weather :cool:

i don't often go down to waterloo gardens where the most extensive felling took place, but even a season's softening helps a lot.

... wanders off to look at planning maps...

keep forgetting to post these, not Waterloo gardens but top of Roath Rec
think they've cleared loads of bushes from here?? not sure about trees
View attachment 123475 View attachment 123476
in good news this section is looking happy and "wild"(ish) again. i can see that it's helpful to keep cleared spaces alongside the more mature trees. my cynical head looks at the main traffic routes and notes adjacent clearing (same up by the flyover), but combine that with a 20mph limit, and improved general awareness of pedestrians around the lake, can't complain (about that end).

also, all the pitches/open space still there and still in use from what i see when i swing past :cool: (typo: swig :hmm:)

latest official update: Natural Resources Wales / Roath Brook Flood Scheme) (lang=en feel free to substitute your preferred choice)

above link said:
March 2020

We've completed our re-assessment of the flood risk in the Pen-y-lan area of Cardiff following our decision in January 2019 to consider the third and final phase of the scheme as a separate piece of work.

The re-assessment considered the work already completed downstream and the new footbridge built in Roath Brook Gardens by Cardiff Council. The footbridge was constructed after the original flood risk was assessed but formed part of the design for the works in Roath Brook Gardens as part of the wider scheme.

The initial result estimates the number of properties at flood risk during a 1.33% (1 in 75) chance flood event has reduced to 11. We remain committed to working with partners and the community to find a solution to manage the flood risk, and this risk will only increase due to climate change.

There may be a way to address this remaining risk as part of work that Cardiff Council is considering at Roath Park Lake, upstream of Pen-y-lan. We are discussing this with Cardiff Council and won’t consider further work in Roath Brook and Roath Mill Gardens until these discussions are finalised.

We will inform the local community once this work is complete and what options we have to address the remaining risk.

which appears to = "we're leaving it the fuck alone, until we next think we can shimmy it past" :thumbs:

eyes peeled, cardiffians...

Back
Top Bottom