Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Mishi, Dulwich Hamlet legend, 20/12/2019

Writing this today, must be one of the toughest things I have had to do during my time on the Trust Board.

How can you put into words what Mishi meant to everyone connected to this football club, it is an impossible task.

It is very difficult not to be sad at a time like this. Personally, I am so proud to have shared, be it a small number of years, not only a spot on the terraces with Mishi but have had the pleasure of being in his company for the many special occasions Dulwich Hamlet has seen in recent years.

There are too many occasions to mention, the most recent being that not only did he finally get to see us on the telly, he appeared on it!! We may have now been on TV, but Mishi I am going to ignore your ‘friendly advice’ that I need to edit my “Dulwich Hamlet Will NOT be televised” stencil on the Greendale side of the main stand.

In his many roles at the club over the years, including serving on the Trust Board, his tireless work has been instrumental and inspired many others, like myself, to volunteer and help create the amazing community football club we are so proud of today.

Next time you step into Champion Hill look around you; there is no fitting legacy for a great man.

Finally, myself and the rest of the Supporters’ Trust Board’s thoughts are with his family and friends at this very sad time.

Rest in Peace our good friend.

Scolly

Joint Chair
DHST

Last edited:
Such sad news - I just assumed that the stubborn old sod would pull through once again but I guess his strength finally gave out. The word 'legend' is over-used but Mishi truly was one of those - not just as a Hamlet supporter and for the initiatives he championed but for his being such a big part of the non-league scene in general. Proud to have considered him a friend.

Not a hamletter myself, but sorry to hear about your mate Mishi.

Sounds like an irreplaceable character.

RIP.

A great image someone on Twitter has put together.

Attachments

• 93BD2167-FD8E-49B2-957D-872C609E4F34.png
    93BD2167-FD8E-49B2-957D-872C609E4F34.png
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 22
Not a follower of the Hamlet, never met Mishi. However, when you where fighting to save your ground I did what little I could to help. In that time I realised just how important people like Mishi are to those of us supporting the little teams are.

More Mishi are needed. RIP Mishi. I know you're going to be much missed.

He will be missed by his many friends all around the non league scene as well as by those at Worthing who knew him.

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time

Reactions: Ax^
I am very sad. Mishi you will be missed terribly.

My thoughts are; no one loved Dulwich Hamlet more than Mishi. He saw 'his club' go from strength to strength in recent years. Thanks to the hard work he and all of Hamlet officials and volunteers put in, his dream came true. He had every reason to be very proud. Up the Hamlet.

Last edited:
There's a nice tribute here from Roy Izzard, the Hitchin Town Secretary. Mishi came all the way up to Top Field to support The Canaries at a protest meeting when their ground was under threat from development five years ago. He made a great impression on those in the meeting that night and it showed his passion for the whole non-league scene.
WEEKLY BULLETIN – 20TH DEC

Would anyone like to write an obituary for Brixton Buzz? It would be fitting to have a full tribute on the site. I knew him for about 12 years but I'm sure there's people here with more stories to tell,
I would like to do this, but won't be able to produce anything until at least Sunday. I wouldn't want to rush it. I knew Mishi as a friend for 30 years, and an acquaintance for about a decade before that. We were of the same era, I never expected The Hamlet to have the resurgence of the last decade, I was as excited about it as Mishi was.

He wrote at great length about death and what he would want in a fanzine or coach article a few seasons back. Does anyone have that? I have no doubt some of his wishes might be inappropriate (!); but I'm sure it would be worth reflecting on if anyone can unearth it...?

I didn't see that but from chats over the years I have three memories of things he said. I can't rule out the possibility his opinions may have changed however....

I know he wanted a minutes "ranting" not silence. A minutes applause may be the appropriate compromise!

He wouldn't have wanted a part of the ground naming after him as I believe some are suggesting - he believed that honour was for players.

,He wanted the photo of him with the FA award taken at Stamford Bridge on his coffin. Perhaps that image could be used be the club as part of whatever memorial they decide upon?

I didn't see that but from chats over the years I have three memories of things he said. I can't rule out the possibility his opinions may have changed however....

I know he wanted a minutes "ranting" not silence. A minutes applause may be the appropriate compromise!

He wouldn't have wanted a part of the ground naming after him as I believe some are suggesting - he believed that honour was for players.

,He wanted the photo of him with the FA award taken at Stamford Bridge on his coffin. Perhaps that image could be used be the club as part of whatever memorial they decide upon?

There were a couple of photos I took of him that he said he also wanted on his coffin. Celebrating a goal - billericay away and slough town away in the fa cup. I’d happily sort out the prints. When he said that I never thought it would be so soon. He was always supportive and encouraging of my photo work. So very sad. I’ll miss him terribly.

Lovely stuff

79603752_2740761282656822_5691027277190529024_n.jpg

[Pic: Mirja Grupe]

Just wanted to add my thoughts as someone who's followed the Hamlet for 20 years. From occasional visits to Champion Hill all those years ago, I don't remember a lot anymore, but I do remember Mishi being around, probably more than the football He is unforgettable for his passion for the club and being a fixture around the ground. Our club is a lot poorer and he will be missed massively. He deserves to Rest In Peace.

It's very hard to imagine a Dulwich match without Mishi being there. He will be greatly missed. It's no exaggeration, I think, to say he dedicated his life to the club.

For those that aren't on Twitter I thought I'd just post the below. Dan Walker, the BBC presenter that interviewed Mishi prior to the Carlisle game, has posted the Tweets below and gave him a mention on Football Focus today. Walker, for some reason, seems to get quite a bit of shit, but I think the below are just incredibly nice and empathetic things to do. Huge respect for him.

Back
Top Bottom