Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Matthew Perry (Chandler from Friends), aged 54

'From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18 carate run of bad luck. But truth is...the game was rigged from the start' one of the most iconic lines in computer games for me, RIP Benny.

I'd forgotten he played Benny, love New Vegas even though it's been a while since I played it

Apparently he was the only cast member who was on the writing team. I didn't know this until I was listening to radio 4 earlier, where David Baddiel was explaining why Perry's comedic timing was so brilliant - turning the emphasis on words into a comedy artform. It was something that largely went over my head but when he breaks it down through the lens of the standup comedian he really makes you understand why Matthew Perry was so good at acting.
Which show was Baddiel interviewed on?

My Friday night for 10 years revolved around Friends and having chilli for dinner. Dinner would be timed for the start exactly. Happy memories. Sadly missed and respect for how he tried to deal with his substance use honestly and openly to make things better for other people.

Maybe the long term message of Friends should be.. "1 in 6 of us... "

i was always pretty sniffy about Friends, but when mrs redcogs and offspring imposed it i quickly realised it was genuinely funny. Chandler was a fine and talented character within the cast- and had human decency in actual life , unlike cunt Hitchens . RIP Matthew.

friends was a guilty pleasure for many years, but I've seen it way too many times to want to watch ever again.

That said, he seemed like a nice guy and a very funny actor. Clearly Chandler was the standout character (IMO). Sad news.

Of course I watched Friends, it was in the days before streaming TV and of fewer channels, especially if you couldn't afford satellite TV... There was much about to be sneered at "How can they afford to have those apartments in New York??" etc... But there was much that was funny too. Phoebe playing guitar and making up the chord names was a favourite... Also Chandler and Monica's relationship arch - it felt genuine and sweet.

Such a shame he never managed to have the family that he wanted :(

But also for all the people who do embarrassing/unpleasant things while under the influence of their addictions, it seems that somehow he managed not to.
That's probably more common than it's acknowledged, but given how many celebrities fall from grace and do shitty and even criminal things in the grip of their addictions it feels refreshing that he had that kind of integrity.

Last edited:
A post-mortem examination concluded Mr Perry died from the “acute effects of ketamine” while contributing factors included “drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine” - which is used to treat opioid use disorder.

“The manner of death is accident,” The County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner confirmed on Friday.

Hold on, hold on, hold on.

Doctors helped distribute ketamine to Perry, authorities allege

We're now hearing how two doctors, Jasveen Sangha and Salvador Plasencia, worked with others to distribute ketamine to Perry over a period of two months from September to October 2023.

They distributed approximately 20 vials of ketamine to the actor in exchange for $55,000 (£42,800) in cash.

You what? Over £2K a vial? How big are these vials? Or how much is private medicine in the USA maybe?

You what? Over £2K a vial? How big are these vials? Or how much is private medicine in the USA maybe?

The two doctors joked about how much Perry would pay

The indictment now alleges that Plasencia, on Sept. 30, 2023, texted co-conspirator Chavez about Perry and selling him ketamine.

“I wonder how much this moron will pay,” Plasencia allegedly said, aware of Perry’s substance abuse and addiction history. “Let’s find out."

Looks like a massive criminal investigation for a drug death, which, to be fair, seems to have unearthed a serious crimininal conspiracy. Is this because USA has a much more punitive attitude to drugs than over here and the police have bigger budgets? Or is it just cos of Perry’s status and wealth?
A friend of mine died from a ket overdose and police didn’t get involved. I doubt police do much investigating over here unless the victim was a child.

Looks like a massive criminal investigation for a drug death, which, to be fair, seems to have unearthed a serious crimininal conspiracy. Is this because USA has a much more punitive attitude to drugs than over here and the police have bigger budgets? Or is it just cos of Perry’s status and wealth?
A friend of mine died from a ket overdose and police didn’t get involved. I doubt police do much investigating over here unless the victim was a child.
they're medical practitioners who sourced the ket that killed him, thats got to be criminal surely.

The two doctors joked about how much Perry would pay

The indictment now alleges that Plasencia, on Sept. 30, 2023, texted co-conspirator Chavez about Perry and selling him ketamine.

“I wonder how much this moron will pay,” Plasencia allegedly said, aware of Perry’s substance abuse and addiction history. “Let’s find out."

Reading this is a bit of a shocker, and the doctors/people involved are going to be sent down proper job and going on their own admissions/actions rightly so

Back
Top Bottom