Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP David McCallum

Oh that's a shame I quite liked him. I felt he was famous but not ostentatiously so. A low key celebrity but I'm probably wrong
Invisible even.

I loved The Man from Uncle repeats they used to show when I was a kid in the nineties. At school a few of us used to run around talking into our biros!

Hold up -the main sample used on Dr Dre's The Next Episode was from a David McCallum song.

For me he was most famous for The Invisible Man and Sapphire and Steel. I was a bit too young for The Man from Uncle but, as a kid, I inherited all my older neighbour’s annuals and toys.

Never meet your heroes, because they're sure to disappoint you

"I think my favourite quote over the years was from Margaret Thatcher when she said that welfare is a wonderful idea until you run out of other people’s money. That really sums up the way I feel. We spend our lives concerned about people who are not well off and you can’t just wave a magic wand. These problems go deep into history. The complexity of international and current affairs has reached mind-blowing proportions."

He was a great actor in his own way. He didn’t seem to be overacting but just being his part. RIP

Terrific actor - very adaptable in his roles & as his preparation regarding portraying "Ducky" Mallard showed, he was very thorough and knowledgeable. I did like the by-play when Caitlin Todd asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man, "Ilya Kuryakin" ...

No idea he was musical ! [from his obit].
Nor did I realise he was quite "that" right wing. Sad.

Just managed to get over the 90th hurdle
Overall, RIP

Well, this has managed to remove any sadness I had for his departure:

I think my favourite quote over the years was from Margaret Thatcher when she said that welfare is a wonderful idea until you run out of other people’s money. That really sums up the way I feel. We spend our lives concerned about people who are not well off and you can’t just wave a magic wand. These problems go deep into history. The complexity of international and current affairs has reached mind-blowing proportions.

I welcome the fresh air Trump is blowing through the Republican Party. He’s not a politician, and so how someone from outside politics comes crashing in and then has to become a true politician and a diplomat… I’ll be fascinated to watch what happens.

Back
Top Bottom