Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Darcus Howe

Always found his approach persuasive, if that's an adequate way of putting it. He'd start his programmes with a line that sounded selective or provocative, unblinking certainly. And within minutes you'd realise he simply went to the heart of things. RIP.

Yeah, I know he's still going. Just meant his 70s/80s stuff was great - not very well put.
I found myself sat next to the great man the other week at the Stuart Hall book-launch over at UEL, I went a bit 'star-struck' but was going to speak when I realised how intently engrossed he was in the proceedings.

e2a: ...and I say "is" because I was lucky enough to hear his 'lecture'/performance at UCL's "Cities Imaginaries" Lecture a year ago. He was mesmerising.

Special Brixton Event Will Honour Darcus Howe’s Life
Black Cultural Archives will host tribute speeches and an outdoor screening of his best known documentaries on April 9
Written by Vic Motune
04/04/2017 10:16 PM
darcushowepa.jpg

BRIXTON TRIBUTE: Darcus Howe

A SPECIAL free event to honour the life and work of Darcus Howe is set to take place this week at Brixton’s Black Cultural Archives (BCA).

The revered campaigner, broadcaster, writer and former Voice columnist died unexpectedly last week. He was 74.

The BCA will host an outdoor screening this Sunday (April 9) of two of Howe’s best known documentaries, Mangrove 9 and Travels With My Camera: Is This My Country? and are inviting the community to come together to celebrate the man often referred to as “a champion of equal rights and justice”.

The event, which is open to the public, will start at 7pm at the BCA in Windrush Square, Brixton. Tributes will be paid from 7.30 pm and the screenings will begin at 8 pm and are due to end around 9.30 pm.

Dawn Hill, Chair of Black Cultural Archives said: “Darcus Howe, highly intellectual, undeterred activist against racial injustice in Britain, will live on in the DNA of those of us living through the 1960s in London. We should always remember this. Thank you Darcus, you made a difference for all of us.”

And speaking to The Voice, Howe’s widow Leila Hassan expressed gratitude for the thousands of messages of support that the family had received since news of Howe’s passing was made public.

She said: “The overwhelming kindness and support that we’ve been shown has really helped to ease our pain. It has made us incredibly proud to see all the tweets and messages on Facebook and social media from as far afield as America, Canada and all over the Caribbean.”

For further details please visit www.bcaheritage.org.uk

The funeral arrangements for Darcus Howe on Thursday 20 April 2017 are as follows:

10.00am: Cortege leaves home in Norbury

10.30am: Stops at 165 Railton Road, SE24 0LU, for wreath-laying

11.30am: Funeral Service at All Saints Church, Clydesdale Rd, Notting Hill, London W11 1JE

2.30pm: Brief stop at former site of the Mangrove Restaurant on All Saints Road, London W11

3.00pm: Interment at West London Crematorium, Kensal Green, London NW10 5JS

C8bKKstXkAAtvgV.jpg

Although it was not possible to discuss the work of Brixton-based Marxist-Leninst Political Activitst, Writer and Broadcaster Darcus Howe within the context of the Brixton discussion forum ... it is possible to discuss it in Brixton !:

'Here to Stay, Here to Fight' launch event at the Tate Library, Brixton, hosted by Lambeth Libraries, Friday 25 October 2019, 7.00 p.m., Brixton Library, London (UK), Brixton Library, Brixton Oval, London, SW2 1JQ

"From 1974 to 1988, Race Today, the journal of the revolutionary Brixton based Race Today Collective, was at the epicentre of the struggle for racial justice in Britain. Placing race, sex and social class at the core of its analysis, it featured contributions from some of the leading voices of the time: C. L. R. James, Darcus Howe, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Walter Rodney, Bobby Sands, Farrukh Dhondy and Mala Sen and many more.

Join members of the Race Today Collective past contributors and those today who take inspiration from Race Today, to launch the first book-length anthology of articles – Here to Stay, Here to Fight.

Organised by the Darcus Howe Legacy Group in collaboration with Lambeth Libraries."

51JzT71NjTL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Although it was not possible to discuss the work of Brixton-based Marxist-Leninst Political Activitst, Writer and Broadcaster Darcus Howe within the context of the Brixton discussion forum ... it is possible to discuss it in Brixton !:

'Here to Stay, Here to Fight' launch event at the Tate Library, Brixton, hosted by Lambeth Libraries, Friday 25 October 2019, 7.00 p.m., Brixton Library, London (UK), Brixton Library, Brixton Oval, London, SW2 1JQ

"From 1974 to 1988, Race Today, the journal of the revolutionary Brixton based Race Today Collective, was at the epicentre of the struggle for racial justice in Britain. Placing race, sex and social class at the core of its analysis, it featured contributions from some of the leading voices of the time: C. L. R. James, Darcus Howe, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Walter Rodney, Bobby Sands, Farrukh Dhondy and Mala Sen and many more.

Join members of the Race Today Collective past contributors and those today who take inspiration from Race Today, to launch the first book-length anthology of articles – Here to Stay, Here to Fight.

Organised by the Darcus Howe Legacy Group in collaboration with Lambeth Libraries."

what does it have in it by bobby sands?

Blue plaque for Darcus Howe on Brixton’s Railton Road

FH3Ba9UWYAIVttU

FH3ZPGxXMAEY7Xy

Funny how your memory plays tricks. I saw the thread title and was initially :( because my memory seems to pull up whether people are alive or dead a couple of seconds before remembering who they are (were).

Was a good egg.

I think I saw him speak in Belfast years ago - but I'm damned if I can remember anything else about it!

Back
Top Bottom