Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP John Pilger

Graun obit here

They say nice things about him only. No surprise: he was very eager to get a copy of our magazine covering the Assange case. But when he realised it forensically covered how the Guardian shafted him communication ceased…..

became an unhinged conspiraloon
In a sense conspiracy theorist seems to have replaced investigative journalist in modern language, probably because there's hardly any 'journalists' who do real journalism any longer. The best investigative journalists will theorise about conspiracies and dig further. And interestingly the term conspiracy theory used to be much more accepted and was used back in the day unashamedly by the left.

Not the work of John Pilger but when stuff like this leaks out they want it to be dismissed and ignored, not given the attention it deserves. Colin Wallace was banged up basically for blowing the whistle on that shit in Northern Ireland in the 70's. And if it wasn't for investigative journalism nobody would know anything about it.

Conspiracy fact is that the British army and security services were running loyalist/fascist death squads in Northern Ireland during the troubles. Northern Ireland was a lab for alot of stuff. Again, they don't want this stuff to be given serious attention. The troubles are illustrative of how the British state would behave on the mainland if it felt truly threatened by a rebellious population.

I think it's useful when stuff like this is reported because it reveals the true nature of the state, no matter how 'democratic' it's supposed to be. Behind all the bullshit and propaganda it's a vicious instrument for ensuring the ruling class hold on to power.

The 'great tradition' they refer to includes the opportunity for robust refutation of anything in the book by anyone who cares to refute it.
Also, excessive censorship has no affect on people at all, other than to just consolidate them in their position. This is especially the case if they have a sense of victimhood. Whereas if you atleast provide them with your analysis and offer them a different perspective then atleast there's a small chance that you will change their mind or make them think. Such censorship is not ethical or practical and it's a good idea for us to think about how it affects people's psychology, even that of bigots. Though at the same time I see no obligation to give bigots a platform necessarily and it also makes sense to draw a line somewhere, especially when we're talking about the extremities of bigotry.

Last edited:
The accusations of 'genocide denial' against Noam Chomsky have no basis in fact, neither did the accusations that Chomsky was 'pro-Khymer Rouge'. These are smears, no doubt because he is anti-NATO and anti-US imperialism (and rightly so). I imagine it is much the same with similar accusations made against John Pilger. Hmmm, smears against someone for being against the political status-quo - seems familiar doesn't it.

This Libcom article explains things, and they are not the only ones to have also noticed this smear campaign

Do you think that the connection with Epstein is a smear?

No. And I think we need to find out more about it.
Best just to avoid having heroes. Like Pilger, Chomsky was influential on me when I was young. That won't be changed if it turns out Chomsky has turned into a bit of a cunt in his old age.

Tbh the impression I get from Chomsky now is that something cognitive has changed in him in a way not uncommon in very old people: he's reached a point where not only does he not care what other people think, he doesn't really care that deeply about other people at all. So I don't expect much from him nowadays. I don't really care about the Epstein stuff. It's disappointing, but it's probably unrealistic to expect introspection and contrition from a 95 year old.

And then when questioned about it said something like "So. I seen him a few times. None of your business who I see"

Reactions: tim
Back
Top Bottom