Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Dalian Atkinson

OMG just heard the news about this. I was there at Wimbledon when he scored that wondergoal, as well as the League Cup semi v Tranmere and the final v Man Utd. On his day Dalian was unstoppable, and his partnership with Dean Saunders was the best Villa strikeforce apart from Little and Gray in the 70's. Always seemed like a nice kid too. What a tragic way to die, only 48 too. I'm sure any Villan who remembers him from back in the day will be really sad today, I know I am. RIP Dalian

It's always 'dies after being shot by taser' and never 'killed by police'.

Reckon if I tasered a copper and he died of heart failure shortly afterwards, the headlines would read very differently.

No age at all to go, RIP Dalian.

Mzee Mohammed died on custody just a few weeks ago. It didn't get the same publicity. This isn't news to black and brown ppl we know our lives don't matter.
The following article appeared in the immediate aftermath of the killing of Dalian Atkinson:

Dalian Atkinson was black and mentally ill – we shouldn't be surprised he was Tasered to death

One can only hope that these criminal proceedings help his family get to the bottom of why he was killed (and by whom).

it's a long way to a conviction sadly

Indeed. I do wonder how many people in a jury would ever convict a cop of murder when they were 'acting in the line of duty'. There does seem to be a deference to cops in which they are allowed to get away with so much more because of who they are. I'd be astonished if he get's convicted.

Next step will be all the whaling and gnashing from the police hierarchy and police federation about the system not protecting officers who risk their life on a daily basis... etc. All before the thing gets anywhere near a courtroom.

Following the lifting, earlier today, by Judge Simon Drew QC, at Birmingham Crown Court of an order protecting the identitities of the police officers involved in the killing of Dalian Atkinson, the two police officers can now be identified as West Mercia Police Constables Benjamin Monk and Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith.

Both officers were present at the hearing at Birmingham Crown Court today, at which their own lawyers agreed that anonymity could not be justified.

Prosecutor Paul Greaney QC told the court: 'The parties recognise that the principle of open justice is one of the highest importance. The parties are all agreed that anonymity cannot, on the evidence, be justified.'

20963876-7681633-image-m-141_1573662004848.jpg

(Source: as stated in the image)

PC Monk (right) is charged with Mr Atkinson's murder and his manslaughter, while his colleague PC Bettley-Smith (left) faces a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Following the lifting, earlier today, by Judge Simon Drew QC, at Birmingham Crown Court of an order protecting the identitities of the police officers involved in the killing of Dalian Atkinson, the two police officers can now be identified as West Mercia Police Constables Benjamin Monk and Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith.

Both officers were present at the hearing at Birmingham Crown Court today, at which their own lawyers agreed that anonymity could not be justified.

Prosecutor Paul Greaney QC told the court: 'The parties recognise that the principle of open justice is one of the highest importance. The parties are all agreed that anonymity cannot, on the evidence, be justified.'

20963876-7681633-image-m-141_1573662004848.jpg

(Source: as stated in the image)

PC Monk (right) is charged with Mr Atkinson's murder and his manslaughter, while his colleague PC Bettley-Smith (left) faces a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Update: The trial of PC Benjamin Monk of West Mercia Police, who is the police officer accused of murdering former footballer Dalian Atkinson in Telford, is now due to start on 26 April 2021 at Birmingham Crown Court.

PC Monk, 42, was charged in 2019 with murder and an alternative charge of manslaughter in connection with the incident in 2016 in which Dalian Atkinson was killed.

PC Monk's colleague, PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, 31, previously entered a not guilty plea to a charge alleging that she assaulted Dalian Atkinson occasioning actual bodily harm prior to his killing on 15 August 2016.

A pre-trial review is set to take place on 20 April 2021.

Update: The trial of PC Benjamin Monk of West Mercia Police, who is the police officer accused of murdering former footballer Dalian Atkinson in Telford, is now due to start on 26 April 2021 at Birmingham Crown Court.

PC Monk, 42, was charged in 2019 with murder and an alternative charge of manslaughter in connection with the incident in 2016 in which Dalian Atkinson was killed.

PC Monk's colleague, PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, 31, previously entered a not guilty plea to a charge alleging that she assaulted Dalian Atkinson occasioning actual bodily harm prior to his killing on 15 August 2016.

A pre-trial review is set to take place on 20 April 2021.

I'll have finished my Jury Service the Friday before at Birmingham Crown Court!!

Back
Top Bottom