Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Riot Police Storm Lewisham Council Budget Cuts Meeting (NOW)

Hard to tell how many of those tweets are first hand and how many are just repetition (I don't have twitter experience).
Best wishes to the people down there. Shame Lewisham stuck with the usual suspects last election - there was an independent bloke running for mayor who was willing to do the job for the average wage instead of the excessive wedge we're paying Labour's bloke.

If it says 'RT' at the beginning of the post it means 're-tweet' i.e. they have copy and pasted directly from someone else's feed.

this is unbearable, am just down the road and was going to be there but broke my foot last wednesday, im gonna be feeling like this all week aint i :mad:

well fucking done everyone

latest on council meeting vote - not confirmed

Lewisham cuts package approved. 36 for. 3 against. 11 abstain. Greens and tories against. Lab for. Ld abstain.

Lewisham wont forget this labour

that was pretty tasty - pitched battles with police & security in the reception of the town hall with the mayor & council cowering in the chamber upstairs shitting themselves - sporadic acts carried out inside elsewhere in the building - police units called in from as far away as camden, main roads through roads in catford shut down - only one person lifted as far as I know on the night

that was pretty tasty - pitched battles with police & security in the reception of the town hall with the mayor & council cowering in the chamber upstairs shitting themselves - sporadic acts carried out inside elsewhere in the building - police units called in from as far away as camden, main roads through roads in catford shut down - only one person lifted as far as I know on the night

Good stuff!

:D wicked news, lets keep up the momentum

Hmm, think I'd trust LD's version of events rather than the SWP's.

you prefer outright lies to exageration? odd.... [oops, misunderstood!]

Anyway, a fairly typical over-reaction by the cops, they seem intent on taking us straight back to poll tax days!

Apology accepted - and I withdraw my remark (though I'll leave it there for context) - but Sue had specifically said Love detective was going to be there before the bit you quoted......always helps to read the thread...:D

Fair enough protesting, but what's so great about trying to storm a meeting of elected democratic representatives?

because it was meant to have been a publicly open meeting where members of the public had a right to both attend and speak at - members of the community attempted to exercise that right tonight and were met with a barrage of police & private security violence

all previous council meetings that contained cuts topics have either been held in rooms capable of fitting large amounts of the public in and in addition the meetings broadcast on a telly in an overflow room - for tonight's meeting however, they decided not to have the meeting in a room even close to capable of accommodating all those who wished to attend (limiting the attendance to only 40 despite knowing that hundreds would be turning up - despite intense lobbying of the council in the run up urging them to either hold it in a bigger room or at least open up another room and broadcast it), nor did they see fit to broadcast the meeting on the screen in another room like they usually do - they knew the numbers who wanted to attend and did their best to ensure that hardly anyone could - despite it being a pivotal moment for the community and so called local democracy, instead what we got was the symbolism of labour councillors cowering away behind closed doors in a sham undemocratic meeting (guarded by thugs with riot shields, dogs and horses )abdicating their responsibilities to the community in favour of waving through the cuts package - tonight was a collective act of mass anti-social behaviour in and against the community, perpetrated just as much by councillors as the police

because it was meant to have been a publicly open meeting where members of the public had a right to both attend and speak at - members of the community attempted to exercise that right tonight and were met with a barrage of police & private security violence

all previous council meetings that contained cuts topics have either been held in rooms capable of fitting large amounts of the public in and in addition the meetings broadcast on a telly in an overflow room - for tonight's meeting however, they decided not to have the meeting in a room even close to capable of accommodating all those who wished to attend (limiting the attendance to only 40 despite knowing that hundreds would be turning up - despite intense lobbying of the council in the run up urging them to either hold it in a bigger room or at least open up another room and broadcast it), nor did they see fit to broadcast the meeting on the screen in another room like they usually do - they knew the numbers who wanted to attend and did their best to ensure that hardly anyone could - despite it being a pivotal moment for the community and so called local democracy, instead what we got was the symbolism of labour councillors cowering away behind closed doors in a sham undemocratic meeting (guarded by thugs with riot shields, dogs and horses )abdicating their responsibilities to the community in favour of waving through the cuts package - tonight was a collective act of mass anti-social behaviour in and against the community, perpetrated just as much by councillors as the police

Well I think if it was an open meeting and they knew it would be popular they should have arranged for a bigger venue or had some kind of application and lottery system if spaced was limited to allow some people attend. What were people doing inside, anything to provoke a police response or was it a complete over reaction?

Back
Top Bottom