hiraethified
Fantastic set of pics here

New-York-Subway-1970s-k.jpg

fff.jpeg

New-York-Subway-1970s-o.jpg

New-York-Subway-1970s-a.jpg

New-York-Subway-1970s-g.jpg

Riding The New York Subway - 1977-1984 - Flashbak

Excellent stuff , I did ride that Subway a little later (Xmas 86) and it was still pretty similar.

just so long as everyone understands that boom boxes were a bane.
nice to see someone carrying a copy of the Voice tho'.

Well spotted ! - in the 1980's (late) , being so obsessed with NYC in London , I used to treat myself to a very expensive copy in a newsagent in Central London. It "died" recently - another casualty of the time .....

Well spotted ! - in the 1980's (late) , being so obsessed with NYC in London , I used to treat myself to a very expensive copy in a newsagent in Central London. It "died" recently - another casualty of the time .....

do you have a pm function?

Rio is still a bit like that. That kind of mad mess. Or it was when i lived there 9 years' ago anyway. In some way totally different - but parts of it are a tropical mid 80s Manhattan

Anyone really prefer the post Sex and The City, home of the cronut version? What an incredible clash of everything life should be the city once was.

Back in the 80's I used to ride around pretty much everywhere - to be fair daylight - Brooklyn and the Bronx. My NYC friend (who had long given up on the Subway) - used to say - "You went here ? - using up your 9 lives" -when I mentioned I had enjoyed a ride on the El to Marcy Avenue or up to 180th in the Bronx.

Nothing ever happened , in fact in certain places people used to make the effort to talk - not having seen a "tourist" there , probably ever. Those crap photos have not survived several house moves. Alas.

Those are awesome photos. Thanks for sharing and linking to the article. As "dangerous" as it was in NY those days, I'm so grateful to see pictures like these. It makes me appreciate growing up in Boston and doing something similar with a camera - just start snapping away, paying no mind to life around me. It's all about life's experiences and to see this stuff gives a better glimpse into stories I hear from my (older) cousins who lived in NY as well as Massachusetts..

Back
Top Bottom