Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Richmond Park

sleeper

Unspecified
It's a great park, it's actually the biggest 'walled' city park in europe.
It boasts all sorts of wildlife, it's also a famous magic mushroom picking ground.

I live quite close to it (near roehampton gate). I was wondering do any peeps have any experience as to how long it might take to cycle to the Kingston gate (from Roehampton Gate).

In case you didn't know it provides a very good short cut when there are reports of traffic on the A3, but I don;t drive much.

I reckon it's about 4-5000 yards..anyone have any idea how long it should take a fit non-smoking young man to complete.

I would do it and find out.. :oops: .but it may take far too long. I'm guessing an hour, but surely someone on here has done it.

I reckon so if 20mins. your probably thinking of the one near asda (robin hood), that only takes about half hour walk :confused:

Probably less than 20 mins. It's under 20 mins for a full lap of the Park on a road bike (not hanging around, but not on the rivet either). Uphill from Roehampton Gate though, whichever way you go - either a sharp shortish hill if you go clockwise, or a longer drag anti-clockwise.

Richmond Park is fantastic - best place in London.

Bahnhof Strasse said:
For some reason I prefer Bushy Park.

They have white deer :cool: it's a lot less busy too...

I usually go to Bushy if I'm over that way but Rochmond is MUCH bigger and has a gradient so makes it more interesting.:)

20 Minutes to lap the park. I don't actually believe that. Maybe on a super bike, and if that what u mean buy 'road bike'..my apologies :oops:

It's not a lap it's half way round! :D

map_large2.jpg

Is Richmond park the one with the rutting red deer?

If so I have been planning to go there with my camera. Anyone know if it is this one or another?

Also there is a park in London with a lot of Herons apparently content with humans close by around them, does anyone know which park that is?

weltweit said:
Is Richmond park the one with the rutting red deer?

If so I have been planning to go there with my camera. Anyone know if it is this one or another?

Richmond has them, as does Bushy (Bushy also has white deer)

weltweit said:
Also there is a park in London with a lot of Herons apparently content with humans close by around them, does anyone know which park that is?
Tooting and Clapham Commons often have Herons about

:rolleyes: Herons content around humans...stand on one leg and it makes sense eh.
(this was not supposed to make sense but in fact to express the absurdity of the heron comment)

sleeper said:
:rolleyes: Herons content around humans...stand on one leg and it makes sense eh.
(this was not supposed to make sense but in fact to express the absurdity of the heron comment)
I've cycled past one on Clapham Common and it was only a few feet from the fence - a family were stopped, gawping at it and it didn't flinch

I used to walk up to Richmond park in my lunch at my last job, bit too far to go now though sadly.
I'd say it would take about 20 minutes from Roehampton to Kingston gate. Maybe less actually as quite a lot of it is downhill I think.

From looking at the picture I now remember white deer are in fact light brown in colour and have white stripes/frazzles/spots

If you're in the area of Richmond and Bushy parks, try Crane Park in Whitton. It's not massive, but proper wild and is packed with paraqueets.

Orang Utan said:
I've cycled past one on Clapham Common and it was only a few feet from the fence - a family were stopped, gawping at it and it didn't flinch

Someone showed me a photo they had taken of a fenced in area near a river or stream with perhaps 10 grey herons standing near the bank and lots of people walking by. Stupidly I have forgotten which park they said it was in.

In the wild herons are very wary of people and quite hard to get close enough to photograph unless you are using a hide. Thats why I wonder where this park was.

zenie said:
Happy to oblige

albino+deer.jpg

:)

Many thanks zenie, thats a handsome beast, great antlers. From a photogs pov I would want to make photos without a brick wall as the background though, prefer something more natural looking :)

Roehampton to Kingston gate should be no more than 15 mins if you go on road, theres a gravel cycle path you could use as well if you want to avoid traffic and that would be a bit longer.

that route is all flat apart from one climb that goes from Robin Hood gate up Kingston Hill which is pretty steep but not too long.

My record lap on road was 17 min but then I was drafting someone for most of it, solo it's more like 21 mins.

sleeper said:
From looking at the picture I now remember white deer are in fact light brown in colour and have white stripes/frazzles/spots

What the one I showed you? Nah they really are white :D

weltweit said:
Many thanks zenie, thats a handsome beast, great antlers. From a photogs pov I would want to make photos without a brick wall as the background though, prefer something more natural looking :)

That was the best that came up on google image search ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom