Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rhubarb? What can be done?

Or, stew it with a little sugar and cool it. Pour some plain yoghurt and a small carton of cream into a tupperware container and add some slivers of stem ginger and a spoon of the syrup it comes in. Freeze, taking it out every half hour or so to stir with a fork to break up ice crystals. When almost completely frozen, pur the rhubarb in and just swirl around a bit, Freeze again - voila! Rhubard Ripple!
This sounds so lush... I might have to get some rhubarb just to try it :oops: :)

Despite it being well over a decade since I first dug it out, very year a few stems still emerge. It just seems to keep coming back & back from the slightest remaining root. :mad:

I don't really eat it coz of the calcium issue. I think I have a genuine fear of my bones faffing up :oops: It's why I don't really like given it to my daughter either and she is staying at my mum's(the usual recipient) just now.

But you should dig round where the roots are and hope for a dry summer. That's how I got rid of the other patch of ours. Dug a trench round it, hacked it to pieces every so often and possible used a weed flame thing on it. Never came back :cool:

That would be the entire top third of the left hand side of my garden - when I say she had a big patch, I'm not kidding - The stuff recurs all over & especially alongside the path. Roots must have spread under there.

no crumble tonight unfortunately. too caught up with tattoo work and post-tattoo beers. but deffo knocking up a rhubarb crumble tomorrow, all ingredients purchased and ready to go. and custard and cream, all being well. moose's rhubary rhipple sounds lush too but am sticking with the simple for now :)

rhubbarb and apple crumble :cool:

mix 4oz of plain flour with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, crumble up ~@1.5oz of butter, and then add 3oz of brown sugar. that is 'crumble' :cool:

meanwhile, cook one 1(one)lb of rhubarb, cut into inch-strips along with the big apple, is slowly cooked for 15 mins with 3oz of brown sugar. pour off some liquid after. put stewed rhubarb & apples in tin, top with crumble, heat on gas mark 5/6 for 30-50 mins. eat and enjoy :)

If you do get round to it, taste as you go for sweetness - the rhubarb I get given is very tart, but I like it that way. Other peeps might like it sweeter. :)

I made a strawberry and rhubarb pie last weekend. I used a shop bought sweet pastry case and filled it with the stewed rhubarb (cooked gently in a pan with some sugar-no water needed) and sliced strawberries. I poured over some red jelly and then served it up with some fresh custard once the jelly had set. Rhubarb and strawberry work really well as the sweetness of the strawberry sets off the tartness of the rhubarb. Lovely :)

Unless you are intending to use it quickly the easiest thing is chop it up and freeze it all.
I have a glut of rainbow chard and no idea what to do with it, they have got huge, may even be too late now?

Back
Top Bottom