Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rhubarb? What can be done?

Agree with Biddly, you can crumble it or stew it and give it a sponge topping.

I just gave away 1.3kg of rhubarb on Tuesday.

Do you need actual recipes? Coz I'm not sure about them. I just cook the rhubarb in the microwave and find a crumble recipe online :oops: I never remember the right measurements between the flour, sugar and butter(think that's right)

chop it up and cook with a coupl eof large tablespoons of sugar at a high heat. Serve with vanilla ice-cream.

You could add a chopped up apple or some strawberries if you like.

I suppose i cook the rhubarb first? Do you boil it in water?

Yes and NO!! There's enough liquid in rhubarb that you just chop it up, put in pot, sprinkle on some sugar(to taste, I always go with less coz more can be added later iykwim), let simmer til soft.

I dunno how you'd do that in the oven though. I don't use an oven tbh. You can microwave it too, same method plus maybe a spoonful of water to get it started.

I will go and look at some books and see if I can find an oven only recipe.

Crumble is the only decent way to serve rhubarb. It's dead easy.

Stew rhubarb in a little water and lots of sugar. Add some ground stem ginger and leave to cool whilst making the crumble.

Bowl of sifted flour. Couple of tablespoons of sugar. Few dollops of butter. Touch of salt and cinnamon. Rub all together with your finger tips until it's all lumpy.

Poor onto top of stewed rhubarb and slam into the oven for about half an hour at quite hot. When the crumble has goldened and the syrup has caramalised it's ready for the custard.

Four egg yolks to a pot of cream and a pot of sugar simmered and whisked for about ten minutes until thick like custard consistency. Add a couple of drops of pure vanilla essence.

I am traditional English pudding god. I get it right perfectly every time :)

You weirdos! You don't need to cook the rhubarb first for crumble! Just cut it into 1cm lengths, sprinkle with sugar and cinammon, top with crumble and bake.

Or, stew it with a little sugar and cool it. Pour some plain yoghurt and a small carton of cream into a tupperware container and add some slivers of stem ginger and a spoon of the syrup it comes in. Freeze, taking it out every half hour or so to stir with a fork to break up ice crystals. When almost completely frozen, pur the rhubarb in and just swirl around a bit, Freeze again - voila! Rhubard Ripple!

You weirdos! You don't need to cook the rhubarb first for crumble! Just cut it into 1cm lengths, sprinkle with sugar and cinammon, top with crumble and bake.

Or, stew it with a little sugar and cool it. Pour some plain yoghurt and a small carton of cream into a tupperware container and add some slivers of stem ginger and a spoon of the syrup it comes in. Freeze, taking it out every half hour or so to stir with a fork to break up ice crystals. When almost completely frozen, pur the rhubarb in and just swirl around a bit, Freeze again - voila! Rhubard Ripple!

Best suggestions EVER.

I have rhubarb at home

and I'm home alone tonight

*plans mass rhuhbarb eating session*

I'm going google it. I need to know!!

Also remember:

Rhubarb and Health
These red stalks have purgative or laxative properties, thus consumption of large quantities can be harmful. However, a normal serving size of rhubarb can keep the body regular.

Rhubarb is high in calcium, more than a comparable cup of milk. Unfortunately, the calcium is in the form of calcium oxalate, which blocks absorption of calcium not only from the ingested rhubarb itself, but also from any other food eaten at the same time.
Cooking converts the oxalic acid into an inorganic crystalline form which can build up into kidney stones. Those who tend to develop kidney stones with oxalate content should avoid rhubarb.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhealthinformation/a/rhubarbhealth.htm

Eaten occasionally, it should be fine but I've seen many members of one side of my family suffer greatly from symptoms that could well have been connected with their high rhubarb consumption. Esp my gran, who had a bloody great rhubarb patch & made all sorts of things, from rhubarb. Incl wine/champaigne, jam, pies & crumbles & suffered all sorts of kidney & bone-problems in later life. :(

I'm still trying to rid the garden of all her rhubarb even today. Dispite it being well over a decade since I first dug it out, very year a few stems still emerge. It just seems to keep coming back & back from the slightest remaining root. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom