Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Revolution in Sudan starts

Famine looms in Sudan
aljazeera. 12 Feb 2024
As war continues unabated in Sudan, an acute food emergency could kill hundreds of thousands of people by next year.
In West Darfur, the RSF and allied militias conducted an ethnic cleansing campaign – possibly genocide – by driving “non-Arab” communities from their land.

The RSF has also systematically looted aid warehouses, banks, cars, homes and jewellery from across the country while, to make matters worse, the army is restricting aid to regions under RSF control and cracking down on grassroots initiatives trying to feed their communities.

“By … preventing people from accessing food, the [army] and RSF may be perpetrating starvation crimes,” stated the Clingendael report. “What is clear is that both generals show every sign of intensifying the war with reckless disregard for the humanitarian consequences.”

This is a news report from Sudan. It’s in the town where I worked as Academic Manager, and where I shopped. I fear for the safety of my friends and their families, I’ve heard nothing from any of them for a very long time.

Why on earth is the Foreign Office talking to the RSF?

could the actual real reason be they have previous experience with 'migration issues'?

Seems like any time the subject of the crisis in Sudan appears on Reddit, the comments get flooded with a whole bunch of whataboutery referencing the Israel vs Palestine conflict. Which is ironically marginalising in and of itself.

Seems like any time the subject of the crisis in Sudan appears on Reddit, the comments get flooded with a whole bunch of whataboutery referencing the Israel vs Palestine conflict. Which is ironically marginalising in and of itself.
It is even more ironic when I'm pretty sure I've seen Palestinians expressing concern regarding the situation in Sudan.

The situation looks to be getting worse - tens of thousands of people have been killed, millions displaced, children are dying of hunger, and villages have been razed.

The New York Times reported on the 19th of June that the city of El Fasher in Darfur, Western Sudan, faced disaster:

The city of El Fasher, home to 1.8 million people, is now at the center of global alarm. If it falls, officials warn, there may be little to stop a massacre.

Fighters battling Sudan’s military for control of the country have encircled the city. Gunfights rage. Hospitals have closed. Residents are running out of food.

The advancing fighters are known as the Rapid Support Forces — the successors to the notorious Janjaweed militias that slaughtered ethnic African tribes in Darfur in the 2000s.

Both the military and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have restricted incoming aid.

NYT report (archived) (content warning: rape and other war crimes)

The situation looks to be getting worse - tens of thousands of people have been killed, millions displaced, children are dying of hunger, and villages have been razed.

The New York Times reported on the 19th of June that the city of El Fasher in Darfur, Western Sudan, faced disaster:

Both the military and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have restricted incoming aid.

NYT report (archived) (content warning: rape and other war crimes)

Thanks for sharing this. I vaguely remember 2012 and learning about Sudan (I was still quite young and I was really obsessed with African affairs for a while) and well ... There aren't really words for what is happening there right now.

Thanks for sharing this. I vaguely remember 2012 and learning about Sudan (I was still quite young and I was really obsessed with African affairs for a while) and well ... There aren't really words for what is happening there right now.
Yeah, it's horrific.

Information here on how UAE are fueling the conflict:

Shouldn't be behind a paywall. I watched this video which also outlined it too in the first ten minutes though has some speculation in it.

Last edited:
'Nothing To Eat': War-Torn Sudan Faces Mass Famine as Military Delays Aid
Common Dreams. Jul 26, 2024
Both parties in Sudan's civil war are to blame for a looming mass famine, experts say, and the military's blocking of U.N. aid at a border crossing with Chad exacerbates the problem.
Sudan's military is blocking United Nations aid trucks from entering at a key border crossing, causing severe disruptions in aid in a country that experts fear may be on the brink of one of the worst famines the world has seen in decades, The New York Timesreported Friday.
The border city of Adré in eastern Chad is the main international crossing into the Darfur region of Sudan, but the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), the state's official military, which is engaged in a civil war with a paramilitary group called the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), has refused to issue permits for U.N. trucks to enter there, as it's an RSF-controlled area.

Famine is ravaging Sudan, but the world can’t get food aid to millions of starving people
Sept. 27, 2024
More than half the people in this nation of 50 million are suffering from severe hunger. Hundreds are estimated to be dying from starvation and hunger-related disease each day.
But life-saving international aid – cooking oil, salt, grain, lentils and more – is unable to reach millions of people who desperately need it. Among them is Raous Fleg, a 39-year-old mother of nine. She lives in a sprawling displaced persons camp in Boram county, in the state of South Kordofan, sheltering from fighting sparked by the civil war between the Sudanese army and a paramilitary called the Rapid Support Forces.
Since Fleg arrived nine months ago, United Nations food aid has gotten through only once – back in May. Her family’s share ran out in 10 days, she said. The camp, home to an estimated 50,000 people, is in an area run by local rebels who hold about half the state. The Sudanese army won’t let most food aid cross the lines of control into the area, aid officials say.

Article and vid, either are worth looking at. Complete devastation in what was once a thriving community in Khartoum:

PTK I suspect it is, in part 'oh it's Africa again' :(
Sudan is not familiar to us through Bible stories, unlike Palestine.

Sudan is not familiar to us through Bible stories, unlike Palestine.
Jerusalem's Survival, Sennacherib's Departure, and the Kushite Role in 701 BCE
An Examination of Henry Aubin's Rescue of Jerusalem
But now another theory — advanced in a 2002 book, The Rescue of Jerusalem: The Alliance between Hebrews and Africans in 701 BC, by a Canadian journalist, Henry Aubin — is rallying new respectability: an army led by Africans from present-day Sudan repelled the Assyrians. The army’s commander would have been a young Kushite, Taharqo, who later became Pharaoh.
Kush/Cush, then Nubia, centered along the Nile Valley in what is now northern Sudan and southern Egypt.

Head of Sudan's RSF accuses Egypt of being involved in airstrikes on group's troops
October 10, 2024
CAIRO, Oct 9 (Reuters) - The leader of the Sudanese paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, accused Egypt of being involved in airstrikes on the group's troops in a recorded speech on Wednesday.

He also accused Cairo of training and providing drones to the country's army, which has recently gained an upper hand in the conflict that has ravaged the country for almost 18 months.
The Egyptian foreign ministry later issued a statement in which it denied Hemedti's accusations regarding the participation of Egyptian aviation in the ongoing war in Sudan.

"While Egypt denies those claims, it calls on the international community to ascertain the evidence that proves the truth of what the RSF militia leader said," the foreign ministry added.
While Egypt has been perceived as close to the Sudanese army and its chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the country has joined efforts by the U.S. and Saudi Arabia to mediate the conflict.
Cairo also hosted talks between rival political factions earlier this year.

In his recorded video message, Hemedti said Egypt used U.S. bombs in its strikes.
"If the Americans were not in agreement these bombs would not reach Sudan," he added.

He also referred to Tigrayan, Eritrean, Azerbaijani and Ukrainian mercenaries being present in the country and reiterated accusations that Iranians participated in the war alongside the army.

Supply blockade forces MSF to stop care for 5,000 malnourished children in Sudan
MSF. Press Release. 10 October 2024
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been forced to stop outpatient treatment for 5,000 children with acute malnutrition in Zamzam displacement camp in North Darfur, Sudan, because the warring parties have blocked deliveries of food, medicines, and other essential supplies for months.

As supplies ran low at the end of September, MSF was forced to stop care for 5,000 children on an outpatient basis, including 2,900 children with severe acute malnutrition. Only MSF's 80-bed hospital remains functioning in the camp to treat children at the greatest risk of dying.
“There is an urgent need for a massive supply of nutritional products and food to help people, it is currently a catastrophic situation,” says Michel-Olivier Lacharité, MSF’s head of emergency operations. “MSF is calling on the various stakeholders, the governments, the allies of the parties to the conflict, the Rapid Support Forces, the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Joint Forces, to facilitate humanitarian aid delivery to the camp.”

Some limited supplies have arrived in recent weeks, including medical supplies that MSF was able to transport, but the quantities remain far too low to meet the needs of people suffering from malnutrition in Zamzam camp, which has a population of approximately 450,000.

People treated in hospital in Kassala state as Sudan faces cholera crisis
October 15, 2024
At a hospital in Sudan’s Kassala state, the epicentre of a cholera outbreak in the war-torn nation, patients young and old filled the wards. The disease has been spreading in areas devastated by recent heavy rainfall and floods especially in the east of the country which is also sheltering millions of people displaced by the conflict between the Sudanese military and the powerful paramilitary group, the Rapid Support Forces.

Sudan Faces One Of The Worst Famines In Decades
Forbes. Oct 18, 2024
On October 17, 2024, United Nations experts issued a statement warning that Sudan faces one of the worst famines in decades. According to the statement, a staggering 97% of Sudan’s internally displaced persons (IDPs), and civilians who remain in their homes, are facing severe levels of hunger.
The U.N. experts, including Michael Fakhri, Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food; Balakrishnan Rajagopal, Special Rapporteur on the Right to adequate housing; Olivier De Schutter, Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights; Pedro Arrojo-Agudo, Special Rapporteur on the human rights to safe drinking water and sanitation, accused the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) of using “starvation tactics” against 25 million civilians in the country.
As they noted, “Never in modern history have so many people faced starvation and famine as in Sudan today. (...) In order for the starvation and famine in Sudan to end, is for RSF and SAF to stop immediately obstructing aid delivery in Sudan through bureaucratic–administrative barriers, and attacks against local respondents and for foreign governments to halt the financial and military support of the SAF and RSF.
Humanitarian organizations should be allowed to expand their operations and deliver essential food items and medicines. It is critical for humanitarian organizations to utilize all available channels for humanitarian deliveries, including lesser-used routes, to ensure aid reaches the most vulnerable populations.”

Back
Top Bottom