Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Restaurant London Bridge area

ash

Inittogether
I am meeting a friend who is travelling in and arriving at London Bridge. Does anyone have any decent restaurant suggestions around there. I don’t tend to eat out around there these days.

One thing Mrs Numbers and I do up there is a left or right first or second sesh/crawl.

We plot in one of the pubs and have a drink. We then flip a coin to see if we’ll take a left or right when we leave the pub and flip a coin to see if we’ll go into the first or second pub. One drink in each pub.

Great fun.

As ever, it depends on what you want to spend, and whether you’re doing lunch or dinner. A couple of dozen street food options in Borough Market (remember it's closed on Mondays) and Roast is still ok if you don’t mind hauling your bags up a couple of flights of stairs. Old favourites around there are La Barca, on Lower Marsh, which is a very solid, well established Italian gaff; and The Duke of Sussex, on the other side of the green does very good pub grub. Both of those are more Waterloo though, so a 10 minute walk from London Bridge. The DoS is also worth a visit just to laugh at their pub sign of Harry and Meghan, if it's still there:

1688027557315.png

Closer to LB, you've got The Barrowboy and Banker, which is a decent Fullers pub with a by-the-numbers menu at the foot of the bridge itself, so it's easy to find and a good meeting point. Coté sometimes gets a bad rap because it's a chain but I often take visitors to the one in Hays Galleria, after a South Bank walk. Nice little spot right on the river with regulation French favourites. Have the fish stew or the steak. For a proper treat, book a table overlooking the river at the Oxo Tower restaurant, but there are scores of pubs and eateries within half a mile of LB station, so you could just have a wander round and see what takes your fancy. Don't go to Silka; Indian gaff in Borough Market. Rip-off wankers.

Last edited:
Wander down Tooley St to the Ivy at Tower Bridge. Still good. And actually reasonably priced. London Bridge itself is a bit shit really, loads of traffic and lost tourists.

As ever, it depends on what you want to spend, and whether you’re doing lunch or dinner. A couple of dozen street food options in Borough Market (remember it's closed on Mondays) and Roast is still ok if you don’t mind hauling your bags up a couple of flights of stairs. Old favourites around there are La Barca, on Lower Marsh, which is a very solid, well established Italian gaff; and The Duke of Sussex, on the other side of the green does very good pub grub. Both of those are more Waterloo though, so a 10 minute walk from London Bridge. The DoS is also worth a visit just to laugh at their pub sign of Harry and Meghan, if it's still there:

View attachment 381125

Closer to LB, you've got The Barrowboy and Banker, which is a decent Fullers pub with a by-the-numbers menu at the foot of the bridge itself, so it's easy to find and a good meeting point. Coté sometimes gets a bad rap because it's a chain but I often take visitors to the one in Hays Galleria, after a South Bank walk. Nice little spot right on the river with regulation French favourites. Have the fish stew or the steak. For a proper treat, book a table overlooking the river at the Oxo Tower restaurant, but there are scores of pubs and eateries within half a mile of LB station, so you could just have a wander round and see what takes your fancy. Don't go to Silka; Indian gaff in Borough Market. Rip-off wankers.
Thanks we’re not after pub grub or chains and I’ve already checked Roast and it’s closed for refurb. We are very familiar with the area used to spend most weekends doing Waterloo to a borough Market south bank walk with young child but not aware of anywhere really good to eat in.
Been to the OXO tower years ago and thought it was overpriced and over rated.
I forgot about La Barca which is a good option - really good food when we have been before and reasonable but as you say more Waterloo.

Last edited:
At Tower Bridge you have the nicer bit of the riverside. But it's a nice stroll between the two bridges along the river.

Definitely great views across the river to The City and the ToL/Tower Bridge, but not many (any?) restaurants; and of course, City Hall is there so you run the risk of bumping into Sadiq Can't.

Banker Central though. If you're going to go that far you might as well go up to Commercial Road, and take your pick of the Bangladeshi greasy spoons.
I was going to say 'there's also that splendid medieval banquet place!' but Google suggests it's permanently shut. 😢

(Yes, yes I did have a terrible terrible work Christmas party there. Drinking extremely heavily was literally the only way to get through it. At least my Spanish boss forked out for decent wine as he reckoned the stuff provided with the Christmas party deal was undrinkable.)

I was going to say 'there's also that splendid medieval banquet place!' but Google suggests it's permanently shut. 😢

(Yes, yes I did have a terrible terrible work Christmas party there. Drinking extremely heavily was literally the only way to get through it. At least my Spanish boss forked out for decent wine as he reckoned the stuff provided with the Christmas party deal was undrinkable.)

Didn’t know that was there. Shame to have missed it. Looks fun.

my suggestion is to buy some cans - you can get 3x G&T deals at the London Bridge M&S - and have some drinks next to the London Bridge Pier Clipper station. Theres a little bar there that has a DJ playing music outside - its nice and mellow. You can sit at the bars own tables and buy a drink from them, or sit in the public seating bit and still be right next to the music and enjoy perfect river scene/sunset etc

the bar is new and i cant find a name or picture of it but made this:

london b.png

this is one of those 360 views of the spot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom