Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Relaxed screenings at cinemas

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
It's super annoying that there's this 'one size fits all' attitude towards autism and neurodivergent folk, and how the tick box attitude to inclusion means that cinemas offer 'relaxed screenings' where people can walk in and out of the auditorium, the lights aren't turned off or down so much.

I think as well as 'relaxed screenings' cinemas should offer 'turn off your phone and shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down and sit the fuck still screenings' because this autistic person gets really irritated by people who talk through movies, play with their phones, people who get up and down and go in and out of the auditorium. Why? Whhhhyyyyyyy?!?!? Why pay to see a movie and then not fucking watch the fucking movie? Argh!

So I don't want relaxed anything goes screenings, I want silent and still screenings, please.

I have not heard of this - are they really claiming that having people wander in and out etc is more comfortable for autistic folk? 🤨 that sounds like the exact opposite

Relaxed screenings are not aimed solely at people with autism. People with other disabilities - ones where it's hard to sit still for long periods, or to not make noise, for example - may benefit from these screenings.

I think that silent and still would be a regular screening?

Picturehouse (small chain, there's one in Stratford near me and others dotted around) do screenings particularly catering to Autistic folks - sound not so loud, lighting not fully turned off so the screen isn't so bright in comparison.
The one where people are allowed to wander round and talk sounds more like the one they do for people with dementia (they are pretty good at having a range of different settings in which you can go to watch a film!)
I don't go to the cinema much tbh because I find it all a bit argh these days so I haven't tried out any of these showings.

I think that silent and still would be a regular screening?
You'd think wouldn't you? Not been able to find one of those since about 2012 or thereabouts. Me and my partner (late) are/were both autistic and we gave up going to see the films we loved because it was no longer possible.

Those "quiet hours" at supermarkets miss the point too. It's not the lighting or the music that exhausts me and stresses me out, its the getting to the supermarket, the having to deal with the sheer number of products, finding stuff, making decisions. I usually run out of energy before I've got everything i need so then its locating the harder to find items while fraying seriously at the edges, and that's when the noises, the beeps, the noisy people, te too bright lights, etc. becomes hard to deal with. I often just go and pay and leave without finishing my list. It's why i now use the self service tills because i just don't have it i me to queue and deal with humans at the end of a shop. The whole supermarket experience is damaging to autistic people, and cannot be fixed with a few changes here and there. I try to get most of my stuff by delivery now but still have to do a sainsburys shop once a week. I used to go shopping in the dead of night but that's not a thing down here in darkest Kent.

You'd think wouldn't you? Not been able to find one of those since about 2012 or thereabouts. Me and my partner (late) are/were both autistic and we gave up going to see the films we loved because it was no longer possible.

I can imagine, not been for ages tbh.
I'm autistic and OH is ADHD so even watching a film on telly can be challenging cos of one or the other of us getting distracted, wanting to talk through bits of it, point out plot holes etc. :oops:

If you're in London, try the BFI. Not eating, no phones, no talking. :thumbs:
Not been in London for a few years. Try going to the cinema in the suburbs!! :(

That said, I did go to see that Sopranos prequel a couple of years ago in Dover and really enjoyed it. but even then, in a late night screening with about 12 people in the audience I had to move cos a bunch of idiots came in and sat right behind me making obscene amounts of noise with their noisy food wrappings!!

I can imagine, not been for ages tbh.
I'm autistic and OH is ADHD so even watching a film on telly can be challenging cos of one or the other of us getting distracted, wanting to talk through bits of it, point out plot holes etc. :oops:
I think i used to upset my other half for talking about films as we watched them. He saw it as criticism i think and just wanted to watch. We had a bit of a row about it and we never watched a film together again. Didn't affect the relationship though as we had plenty of other things we did together.

I think i used to upset my other half for talking about films as we watched them. He saw it as criticism i think and just wanted to watch. We had a bit of a row about it and we never watched a film together again. Didn't affect the relationship though as we had plenty of other things we did together.

Yep I just think me and OH are on a different kind of pace when it comes to watching films/TV.

I gave up cinemas many years ago - the soundtracks to most films are far too loud for me.

The other reason dates back to before the smoking ban. for me, the combination of the film's fast flickering as it's projected plus second-hand tobacco smoke equalled a migraine,

Yep I just think me and OH are on a different kind of pace when it comes to watching films/TV.
i talk to my other half when i can - my beliefs say he's in spirit and visits often - and whenever i watch one of his types of films i pull it to pieces mercilessly while apologising at the same time.

I suspect a lot of the pensioners at the picturehouse I go to use it as a place to keep warm. Free tea and filter coffee before 5pm for members, and there often seem to be people snoring at the members free screenings.

Relaxed screenings are not aimed solely at people with autism. People with other disabilities - ones where it's hard to sit still for long periods, or to not make noise, for example - may benefit from these screenings.
I don't dispute that other disabled people might benefit from these screenings, and I'm not asking for them to be stopped.

ETA: Sorry, mrsfran don't know if you've already read this, but in hindsight I think saying "I don't dispute that" might come across as argumentative and I didn't mean to. I should've just said "I agree..." Apologies.

Relaxed screenings might have a wider remit now, but iirc, they arose from the demands of mums of autistic kids who - quite reasonably - wanted to be able to take their kids to the cinema without being shushed or glared at or asked to leave because their kids were spoiling the movie for other patrons.

Just as 'quiet times' in supermarkets, without loud music and intercom announcements, came about because of the demands of Autism Moms.

Other disabled people probably benefit from supermarket quiet times too.

It's just a bit frustrating that such companies probably feel like they can tick a disabled accessibility box as they've 'solved' the problem of making their venues/premises/services accessible to autistic people. And in a way they have. For * some * autistic people. But not all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom