Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me some Cookbooks for Chinese food?

So Kwoklyn Wan who has done quite a good cookbook around Chinese takeaway food has a series on Prime. May have to check it out later

Apparently Indo-Chinese is a thing. Don't remember having it in India years ago, but did Chili Chicken last week and it awesome. Spicy ginger goodness. I'm going to try it with pork tonight.

Got a copy of The Food of Sichan for Xmas. Some amazing looking stuff in here. My cupboards aren't terrible in terms of ingredients, but I'm still going to need to go a fair bit of shopping!

Does anyone have a good & simple fakeaway recipe for sweet n sour sauce to go with deep fried chicken/pork balls? Not the sweet n sour main dish, the luminescent red pouring sauce.

There are a few “takeaway authentic” versions around like the Ziangs one on youtube, which starts with deep frying sliced fruit and ginger in oil, but I’m after a reliable “easy” version. I’ve heard it can be made with fruit juice or squash plus vinegar and ketchup in the right proportions, but didn’t have any success when I tried.

Does anyone have a good & simple fakeaway recipe for sweet n sour sauce to go with deep fried chicken/pork balls? Not the sweet n sour main dish, the luminescent red pouring sauce.

There are a few “takeaway authentic” versions around like the Ziangs one on youtube, which starts with deep frying sliced fruit and ginger in oil, but I’m after a reliable “easy” version. I’ve heard it can be made with fruit juice or squash plus vinegar and ketchup in the right proportions, but didn’t have any success when I tried.

I think the most "authentic" is to buy it from a Chinese supermarket.

Last edited:

• 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp vinegar
  • 0.50 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp cornstarch /potato starch mixed in 2 tsp of water (may not be necessary - potato starch is the better option)
Put everything together apart from the starch slurry into a saucepan. Heat up until sugar is dissolved. Add the slurry if necessary bit by bit to reach desired consistency.

If you like the thick gloopy texture that some chinese takeaways have, double the amount of water and add a little more slurry.

You can also add a tiny amount (try half teaspoon at a time or less) of orange squash, or a tablespoon of pineapple juice , or both if you like the flavour.

Just experiment with it.

• 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp vinegar
  • 0.50 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp cornstarch /potato starch mixed in 2 tsp of water (may not be necessary - potato starch is the better option)
Put everything together apart from the starch slurry into a saucepan. Heat up until sugar is dissolved. Add the slurry if necessary bit by bit to reach desired consistency.

If you like the thick gloopy texture that some chinese takeaways have, double the amount of water and add a little more slurry.

You can also add a tiny amount (try half teaspoon at a time or less) of orange squash, or a tablespoon of pineapple juice , or both if you like the flavour.

Just experiment with it.

That is very similar to how I do it, except I use white sugar for a more takeaway bright red sauce. You can substitute the water (except for that used to make the starch slurry) with pineapple juice.

Not looking for a recommendation for a cookbook - just want an idea for a veggie side dish to go with a "Chinese Fakeaway" (ie. Chinese/British restaurant type fare cooked at home) meal.

Other dishes will be:
Sweet & Sour Prawns (for pescetarian OH)
Kung Pao Chicken (for me)
Egg Fried Rice
Vegetable spring rolls

Just want an interesting veg dish to go with it.

OH always asks for chow mein or lo mein with the above, but it's too carbtastic and despite him asking for it, he never eats much of it cos he loves egg fried rice too much and doesn't have room for a noodle dish too! So a light veggies dish is what I am after.

Snow peas or mange tout stir fried with sliced garlic. A splash of cooking wine, salt and a generous pinch of msg.

Snow peas or mange tout stir fried with sliced garlic. A splash of cooking wine, salt and a generous pinch of msg.

That's an excellent plan, thanks - not sure I'll be able to get snow peas but should be able to manage mange tout, or if not then some green beans sliced and cooked briefly with Shaoxing and garlic.

Not looking for a recommendation for a cookbook - just want an idea for a veggie side dish to go with a "Chinese Fakeaway" (ie. Chinese/British restaurant type fare cooked at home) meal.

Other dishes will be:
Egg Fried Rice
Vegetable spring rolls

OH always asks for chow mein or lo mein with the above, but it's too carbtastic and despite him asking for it, he never eats much of it cos he loves egg fried rice too much and doesn't have room for a noodle dish too! So a light veggies dish is what I am after.
Do you have any black bean paste or dry fermented black beans themselves? Broccoli, green beans and sliced carrots in black bean sauce is an awesome, tasty side dish.

Or if you have or can get some Jimmys then mixed veg satay made with a teaspoon of that paste has a wonderful flavour which people will recognise from takeaway food.

Both of these are very much U.K. Chinese takeaway style, rather than authentic Chinese food. Although maybe the black beans can be done in authentic style? I guess so, but I’m not at all experienced with that, so hesitate to put my food in it.

Other dishes will be:
Egg Fried Rice
Vegetable spring rolls

Another szechean one for you. Green beans.

Lightly par boil them so they still have plenty of crunch. Small amount of oil in the wok and add Szechean Peppercorns so they toasted and give flavour to the oil. Quickly fry the green beans and add a bit of dark soy sauce.

Pak Choy or Choy sum in oyster sauce? Mix up about 1/3 oyster sauce with 2/3 light soy and a splash of white wine vinegar. Stir fry the pak choi/choy sum briefly, add the sauce and then stick a lid on the wok for a bit, take the lid off to thicken the sauce. Serve with fried crispy garlic sprinkled on top.

Back
Top Bottom