Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me some Cookbooks for Chinese food?

I bought this book when I was at university from the catering library. It's out of print now but it's without doubt the best cook book I've ever owned. Chinese comes out tasting just like it does from the takeaway plus some more traditional type recipes too.! Really good, well detailed, and goes in to technicalities in the foreword about how you should approach Chinese cooking.

As I said, it's now out of print but you can pick up a second hand copy for peanuts on amazon. Seriously, you can buy it for £0.01 (+p&p). Go look.

Really worth it. Go buy it. I could not live without this book. Best book I ever bought. Honest.

View attachment 82553

International Cuisine: China: Amazon.co.uk: Christine Yau, Norman Fu, Deh-Ta Hsiung: 9780340811184: Books

I've just bought an acceptable copy for £0.02. Thank you for the enthusiastic recommendation.
Following a link on Amazon I saw this. The ultimate for car camping chinese cooking. Maybe I should buy one for my Alps trip this summer. :hmm:

20352_600_500.jpg

But how do you connect it to the exhaust pipe?

Last edited:
"Every grain of rice" by Fuschia Dunlop is what started me cooking Chinese food again. (I'm half-Chinese and my dad was a chef)

Another vote for Fuchsia Dunlop... Her "Sezchuan Cookery" book has had me turning out restaurant quality grub to the amazement of both me and anyone I've cooked for! Seems to be silly money on Amazon at the minute though...

I bought this book when I was at university from the catering library. It's out of print now but it's without doubt the best cook book I've ever owned. Chinese comes out tasting just like it does from the takeaway plus some more traditional type recipes too.! Really good, well detailed, and goes in to technicalities in the foreword about how you should approach Chinese cooking.

As I said, it's now out of print but you can pick up a second hand copy for peanuts on amazon. Seriously, you can buy it for £0.01 (+p&p). Go look.

Really worth it. Go buy it. I could not live without this book. Best book I ever bought. Honest.

View attachment 82553

International Cuisine: China: Amazon.co.uk: Christine Yau, Norman Fu, Deh-Ta Hsiung: 9780340811184: Books

I've just bought the other cheap copy of this on the strength of your raving about it, it better be good!

Another vote for Fuchsia Dunlop... Her "Sezchuan Cookery" book has had me turning out restaurant quality grub to the amazement of both me and anyone I've cooked for! Seems to be silly money on Amazon at the minute though...

It's what's putting me of buying them just yet, even second hand they hold their value.

Anyone else who wants it better hurry up! there's one left on there for £4.99 and all the other copies are £25 - £40!

£40?!??!

my lord!
I've just bought it, you rotter putting ideas in my head :mad::D

I have this one, which is great (there is a spicy peanut aubergine dish in it which is practically the only way I can eat the slimly little fuckers!), but wanted something a bit more wide ranging.

Ken & Ching: Our China Homecoming (Hardback): 9781849904988

I've bought 4 cookbooks in the last week, but only one arrived so far.

The Madhur Jeffrey one had a nice Coconut chicken one in. My girlfriend said it was one of the the best things she's ever eaten. :cool:

Ha! I don't think I own any Dunlop books but I have a bloodhound nose for finding things others can't or don't know about :) I am reading this thread with interest though. There's a nice little Chinese supermarket here in Derby if you're passing GS. My favourite shop in all of Derby.

Bumper postal haul today. :cool:

3 books for less then a tenner. I'm tempted by the Fuchsia Dunlop one that you found cheaply at the end of the month Mogden, but my gf is already telling me I've not used the Vegan ones I got before xmas enough. I'm going to do a Gurkah Pork one tonight that reads like a fusion between chinese and indian. I don't remember eating anything like it in Nepal, but sounds lush.

Ha! I don't think I own any Dunlop books but I have a bloodhound nose for finding things others can't or don't know about :) I am reading this thread with interest though. There's a nice little Chinese supermarket here in Derby if you're passing GS. My favourite shop in all of Derby.

There's quite a large one in Northampton where my folks live I found recently. Home to giant woks, 20L bottles of soy sauce and massive packs of takeaway trays, I suspect it's aimed more at the trade then people like me.

Chinese supermarkets are aimed equally at trade and home. Most have catering level stuff as well as smaller...

Sure. I was able to get lots of stuff I needed, including my huge wok. It just amused me the size of some of things.

Actually a bigger problem for me is that I live in a rural area and whilst with Indian food once you've got the spices and dried stuff, I can get most of what I want from my local co-op, with Chinese style food there is a lot more fresh stuff I can only get when I go into Manchester.

Wing Yip is aces...

Their satay sauce is great and also their Kung Po sauce.

If your going there again let me know and i'll send you a preference list.

If you want to cook 'chinese take away' style curries, let me know and i'll post up how to and send you some malaysian curry powder ( I bought a 10kg tin which is 1/2 full)

Wing Yip is aces...

Their satay sauce is great and also their Kung Po sauce.

If your going there again let me know and i'll send you a preference list.

If you want to cook 'chinese take away' style curries, let me know and i'll post up how to and send you some malaysian curry powder ( I bought a 10kg tin which is 1/2 full)

Do it.... I'm always trying to get close to takeaway style with curries etc, and I can do a pretty passable 'chicken with green peppers in black bean sauce', one of my staple takeaway orders, but share the knowledge pls!

Will do Moo! I'm out and about at the moment. It's got soda bicarb and rosewater in it afascr. You only marinade for an hour and it's used to tenderise the meat. You might have to wait till this evening when I get back for more.
Where's the marinade? It's New Year's tomorrow. :(

Pretty please.

I have no idea. I think it's minimum a few hours from memory not too long. It's in a section of the book, but I'm out drinking cocktails.

Back
Top Bottom