Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a roll mat

sojourner

Where's me readers?
Festie gigs are appearing, and I'll be going solo for a few of them, given the fella will be gigging elsewhere.

I have a little tent, but once you get an airbed in there's very little room left, so I'm thinking maybe a decent roll mat.

Now, I'm 55, so I'd like at least a little bit of comfort, but nothing that weighs too much either.

Don't wanna be breaking the bank either!

Festie gigs are appearing, and I'll be going solo for a few of them, given the fella will be gigging elsewhere.

I have a little tent, but once you get an airbed in there's very little room left, so I'm thinking maybe a decent roll mat.

Now, I'm 55, so I'd like at least a little bit of comfort, but nothing that weighs too much either.

I think I was maybe 42 when I last went to a festival and frankly, bollocks to roll mats. I’d sooner deal with the lack of space.

I think I was maybe 42 when I last went to a festival and frankly, bollocks to roll mats. I’d sooner deal with the lack of space.
Gets a bit claustrophobic when I'm trying to piss into a big bottle with me she-wee though. Head's mashed against the roof of the tent, which is horrible anyway, but worse if it's raining.

I also need room for my merch, rather than trekking to the fucking car and back with it.

How much do you want to spend?

A self inflating roll mat is super useful. You could spend £££ on some super light ones. If you don't mind a bit of weight Decathlon likely has some which are cheaper.
Yes, was wondering about these. They used to be a bit pants, but have they improved a lot?

I don't wanna spend ideally more than £30 tbh.

I'm quite tall but can get a decent night's sleep on a three quarter self-inflating type job where my legs are mostly over the end, mine was from one of the cheaper outdoor stores like Blacks, packs down very small once you squeeze the air out.

I have one of those self-inflating thingies.
They’re ok if you don’t mind spending next day feeling like you had rented out your sleeping body as Andre The Giant’s practise dummy.

Oooh get a self inflator

Weigh nothing fold down to nowt and you can get quite chunky ones

If you get a black one don’t leave it blown up in the sun or you’ll hear a bang and find you have an oblong ballon instead of a mat

You could go insanely ultra lightweight , a former partner, fell and ultra marathon runner used to use a silk sheath contraption that she blew sausage balloons up in. Absolute madness

Love threads like this I’m a proper kit pervert

Blimey can’t remember them being this expensive

Last edited:
I use one of these - or something like it, same company anyway.

Rolls up - easily - to marginally bigger than a lager can. Fairly comfortable, remarkably sturdy.

Can't see length or width on there, only the rolled up measurements.

What are they, do you know/can you find out?

Ah, it's not self-inflating is it?

I use one of these - or something like it, same company anyway.

Rolls up - easily - to marginally bigger than a lager can. Fairly comfortable, remarkably sturdy.

I used to use a similar one from Alpkit (the Numo) but didn't like the vertical tube design. I would often wake up lying on the floor after rolling over in my sleep and the mat going up the side of the tent :facepalm: :D

A pump sack is a decent alternative to a self inflating mat too. Dead easy to use then once you've blown the mat up you have a spare dry bag/stuff sack :thumbs:

I lifted one of these from our kids garage last year when I helped him move. I don't normally steal from my siblings but it was on the back of finding half of my camping kit in his garage that I though I'd have some of his. He's still not noticed it's missing.

Packs quite small and I put my 3/4 length thermorest under it for added warmth. It's fine on it's own though. Several folk have slept on it without issue.

I was gonna suggest Planet X but they've stopped doing them. In absence of that, try Decathlon.

Millets/Blacks/Go Outdoors, they're all the same business, often have 30 percent off sales. And if B has a Blue Light Card they allow discount. Otherwise keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl for half/self inflatable mats. I've got a Planet X one and used it for Bearded and it did for my tubby ass. I've also got a Decathlon one but it's heavier.

I also recommend one of these pillows. Literally can of pop size when folded up. Excuse the messy link. I know I've mentioned it but if B hasn't got a Blue Light Card, get one. Comes under social care and you get great discounts like 10 percent off at Asda currently. Feel free to message if you want me to check which things you can get discount on.

Trekology Camping Pillows for Adults Kids, Inflatable Pillow for Camping, Inflatable Travel Pillow, Blow Up Pillows for Camping, Small Pillow for Travel, Beach Pillow Inflatable Cushion Fishing Pillow https://amzn.eu/d/fDToN2d

Don't wanna be breaking the bank either!

Those of us getting on in years are well advised to avoid an old school rolly mats. Something inflatable is far more comfortable, as has been mentioned get one that is made for backpacking. They deflated to a very small pack size. I was in Decathlon the other day and was checking out this fella: Inflatable Trekking Mattress - MT500 air L - 180 x 52 cm - 1 person

That one is £45. If that’s too much then an older style self inflator might be decent, although heavier and much larger to pack. Outdoorsey types generally have stop using the old self inflators in the main. This one: Self-inflating trekking mattress - MT100 L - 180 x 52 cm - 1 person £35

Back
Top Bottom