Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Really difficult plane landings

Climb out from SXM with a full fuel load and passengers necessitates use of the entire (fairly short) runway.

You don't want to land short of the runway here...

That is the SXM 2hats speaks of. The landings are insane. Take off on the shortish runway is straight towards a mountain, aircraft go right up to the beach to use every inch of runway. It is dangerous but popular to try and hang on to the fence as large aircraft get ready for the off, people get blown across the road and in to the sea, hilariously breaking arms and legs in the process. Still, anything for a few Facebook likes...

That is the SXM 2hats speaks of. The landings are insane. Take off on the shortish runway is straight towards a mountain, aircraft go right up to the beach to use every inch of runway. It is dangerous but popular to try and hang on to the fence as large aircraft get ready for the off, people get blown across the road and in to the sea, hilariously breaking arms and legs in the process. Still, anything for a few Facebook likes...

I'm amazed that 747's are allowed to fly from there.

If I had a bucket list, which I don't yet, but I like the idea, being on that beach for a few hours watching the 747s come in would be on it :)

You only get one or two a week, but the arrival times of the big jets is listed on a chalkboard in the bar next to the beach.

And St Martin is fucking lush, so if you can scrape together the necessary for a Caribbean break you could do a lot worse...

Almost misjudged it this time … a Westjet 737 comes in too low and executes a go around:

I'm amazed that 747's are allowed to fly from there.
They flew (no longer operate that route) in direct but had to take off with minimal fuel and would stop at another Caribbean airport to juggle passengers and gas up for transoceanic flight. More recent wide body jets (A340) can fly out transoceanic direct.

Would love to see an A380 at St Marteen :D
Highly unlikely as it is neither economically viable to fly it there nor can the airfield physically accommodate it (for taxiing, at the very least). A330/340’s are more common for long haul to there.

Back
Top Bottom