Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Really difficult plane landings

HAL9000

Based on a post by DownwardDog about landing a MiG-21PD, I thought we should have a thread on tricky landings

Two ones that spring to mind are............

• Locals decided to have a go at shooting down a DHL airbus taking off from
    Baghdad airport. Left wing is damaged with fuel leaking out.

All hydraulics lost
pilots cannot change the Ailerons, rudder or elevators
slats and flaps are retracted, these are used to allow the plane to fly at slow speed.
Only thing they can control are the engines.

normal_2047833-L.jpg

end result

1.jpg
:)

more details here https://web.archive.org/web/20050625095108/http://asasi.org/2004_PPTs/Malinge_Airbus Bagdhad_ISASI04_PPT.pdf

• Other landing I was thinking about, F15 lost its wing and kept flying

One-wing-F-15.jpg

http://theaviationist.com/2014/09/15/f-15-lands-with-one-wing/

EasyJet flight just managed to land with Kate Moss on board!

Possibly for the last time because as I understand it they are trying to ban Moss, who was disruptive, from flying with them again! :)

Gimli Glider is another ...

Although it wasn't just a landing, the BA Flight 9 - Speedbird 9 - that injested volcanic ash in June 1982 from Mt Galunggung, but after gliding for 10 minutes, 3 engines were restarted. Landed safely at Jakarta, despite the sandblasted windscreens.

Gimli Glider is another ...

Although it wasn't just a landing, the BA Flight 9 - Speedbird 9 - that injested volcanic ash in June 1982 from Mt Galunggung, but after gliding for 10 minutes, 3 engines were restarted. Landed safely at Jakarta, despite the sandblasted windscreens.

landing was tricky for speedbird 9

"a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse.
:eek:

"As Flight 9 approached Jakarta, the crew found it difficult to see anything through the windscreen, and made the approach almost entirely on instruments, despite reports of good visibility. The crew decided to fly the Instrument Landing System (ILS); however, the vertical guidance system was inoperative, so they were forced to fly with only the lateral guidance as the first officer monitored the airport's Distance Measuring Equipment (DME). He then called out how high they should be at each DME step along the final approach to the runway, creating a virtual glide slope for them to follow. It was, in Moody's words, "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse."[1] Although the runway lights could be made out through a small strip of the windscreen, the landing lights on the aircraft seemed to be inoperable. After landing, the flight crew found it impossible to taxi, due to glare from apron floodlights which made the already sandblasted windscreen opaque"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

There was the wonderfully named Operation Frequent Wind where, during the US evacuation of Vietnam, someone landed a Cessna on a carrier.

wiki said:
One of the more notable events occurred on the USS Midway when the pilot of a VNAF Cessna O-1 dropped a note on the deck of the carrier, the note read "Can you move these helicopter to the other side, I can land on your runway, I can fly 1 hour more, we have enough time to move. Please rescue me. Major Buang, Wife and 5 child." Midway's CO, Captain L.C. Chambers ordered the flight deck crew to clear the landing area; in the process an estimated US$10 million worth of UH-1 Huey helicopters were pushed overboard into the South China Sea. Once the deck was clear Major Buang approached the deck, bounced once and then touched down and taxied to a halt with room to spare.[21] Major Buang became the first VNAF fixed-wing pilot to ever land on a carrier. A second Cessna O-1 was also recovered by the USS Midway that afternoon

Technically, any landing you can walk away from is a good one ! and no-one moves faster than an RAF pilot who has just made a rough landing and is expecting an outbreak of fire.

(These are comments made to me by retired RAF pilots and ground crew, btw)

Reminds me of a story my late Grandad told me. He was based in overseas (Sicily I think) in the Air Force during the war. He was waiting at the airport for a plane load of his comrades to fly in only to witness the plane plough into the runway, burst into flames and kill everyone on board :(

He never used to talk about the war unless he was shit faced and the only time he ever left the country in his life was to kick Nazi arse.

Got to fly in a falklands air service islander basically a People carrier with wings :mad:
Flying sideways into a grass strip was intresting in an omg we are going to die way:(

Back
Top Bottom