Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Railton Road Low Traffic Neighbourhood - Help please

kittyP

Pluviophile
Firstly sorry if there is already a thread, I did search but couldn't find one.

I drove down Railton Road yesterday for the first time in months, I was in a stream of other cars and noticed I got funnelled through some planters with signs on them.
I now know from looking up on line when I got home that it is part of a low traffic scheme and that you are not allowed to use it as a through road at all. :facepalm: @self

There were loads of other cars just driving though so I didn't have time to work out what the situation was until I was home.

The only problem is I came back the same way after picking my meds up from the chemist. :(

Does anybody know what kind of penalty charge I can expect?

I have looked online and I can't find proper details.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect that if the cameras aren't in place, then you won't get a fine. Can you walk there to check? At least you'll know for next time!!

I drove down Railton Road yesterday for the first time in months, I was in a stream of other cars and noticed I got funnelled through some planters with signs on them.
I now know from looking up on line when I got home that it is part of a low traffic scheme and that you are not allowed to use it as a through road at all. :facepalm: @self

There were loads of other cars just driving though so I didn't have time to work out what the situation was until I was home.

The only problem is I came back the same way after picking my meds up from the chemist. :(

Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid the cameras are in situ and it's a £130 fine. Sorry to break the bad news.

You might be able to appeal as councillor Jim Dickson was on Twitter recently saying the signage needed to be better. I know there’s one ANPR camera at the Herne place end but I’m not sure if the fines are operational yet

You might be able to appeal as councillor Jim Dickson was on Twitter recently saying the signage needed to be better. I know there’s one ANPR camera at the Herne place end but I’m not sure if the fines are operational yet

Thank you. I really couldn't work out what the situation was until I came home and googled.
And even then it was online articles about it that let me know the situation, nothing officially from Lambeth was any help.

I don't really understand twitter, only if it's not to difficult would you be able to link to the tweet you mention?
No worries if not :)

For what it's worth I completely understand the reason for putting restrictions there, the traffic is often terrible, whether I get fined or not I will no longer go that way, I just wish that it was clearer exactly what had happened.

Was this the tweet

Thanks in advance.

Railton LTN is part of the Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood. Been covered in this thread.

You can comment on the scheme. Comment that signage is inadequate.

For what it's worth I completely understand the reason for putting restrictions there, the traffic is often terrible, whether I get fined or not I will no longer go that way, I just wish that it was clearer exactly what had happened.

complaints this nice about the ltn really aren’t on, you need to be properly angry

OneLambeth: Anti-LTN Protest

Date: Saturday 12th September.

Time: 2.00pm till 5.00pm.

Event: OneLambeth: Anti - Low Traffic Neighbourhood Protest

Group: OneLambeth

oh do fuck off

“Wre a diverse, apolitical group of Lambeth residents adversely affected and deeply concerned by the impact of LTN schemes.

We are cyclists and car drivers from a wide range of occupations, backgrounds and ethnicities. We are local authority residents, private renters and homeowners”

no you aren’t, you are taxi drivers and tory stooges.

One Lambeth have a right to their views but what cheeses me off is that they call themselves 'One' as if they are the voice of all residents in the borough. Clearly they ain't. Can't they change it to 'Some Lambeth (and a few from outside)' to better reflect?

One Lambeth have a right to their views but what cheeses me off is that they call themselves 'One' as if they are the voice of all residents in the borough. Clearly they ain't. Can't they change it to 'Some Lambeth (and a few from outside)' to better reflect?

its very clearly a set of fake grassroots efforts setup by a pr company working on behalf of who knows. I’m sure they have actual members ( useful idiots ) who think it is real, and I’m sure they agree with some of its aims.

its very clearly a set of fake grassroots efforts setup by a pr company working on behalf of who knows. I’m sure they have actual members ( useful idiots ) who think it is real, and I’m sure they agree with some of its aims.

What is the name of the PR company?

So its not "clearly a set of grassroots efforts set up by a PR company".

Don’t you think the timing, the naming and the seo is suspiciously good ?

The content on the about pages is different, but gets exactly the same key points across.

“One Dulwich campaigns for timed restrictions as a pragmatic, compromise solution to road closures that the majority of residents can support.

Our supporters belong to different political parties and none. One Dulwich is therefore not affiliated to any political party or special interest group.”

“OneRailton is a diverse, apolitical group of local residents who are deeply concerned by the impact of the Railton Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN) on our community.

We hail from a wide range of occupations, backgrounds and ethnicities, and many of us are keen cyclists, walkers and some also drive.“

“One Oval' are a diverse, apolitical group of triangle residents and members of the wider local community adversely affected and deeply concerned by the impact of the Oval Triangle Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN)

We are cyclists and car drivers from a wide range of occupations, backgrounds and ethnicities. We are local authority residents, private renters and homeowners.”

Oneoval doesn’t appear to be very diverse of OneRailton.

This stuff always comes out in the end, so we will see

Last edited:
Just to update I didn't get a penalty notice through in the end.
I lost sleep worrying about for weeks anyway :facepalm:
I have noticed that traffic on the main routs in Brixton is much heavier and slower even on a Sunday evening.
I'm not saying that I think the scheme is a bad idea. Just commenting on what I've noticed.

Thank you. I really couldn't work out what the situation was until I came home and googled.
And even then it was online articles about it that let me know the situation, nothing officially from Lambeth was any help.

I don't really understand twitter, only if it's not to difficult would you be able to link to the tweet you mention?
No worries if not :)

So, you didn't even get a letter through the post notifying you of these changes? Wandsworth is in a similar situation and people are really angry about it. I'm one of them. Traffic here is chaos now, everyone stuck on traffic: buses, ambulances, people who have to drive for work, and it's like that ALL DAY. We're trying to get it reversed because it was a good intention but the road has led everyone to a heavily congested hell ;) People living along the newly congested routes are suffering with the pollution too. I cycle and drive but as a cyclist the roads feel LESS safe and MORE polluted than ever! :facepalm::facepalm:

So, you didn't even get a letter through the post notifying you of these changes? Wandsworth is in a similar situation and people are really angry about it. I'm one of them. Traffic here is chaos now, everyone stuck on traffic: buses, ambulances, people who have to drive for work, and it's like that ALL DAY. We're trying to get it reversed because it was a good intention but the road has led everyone to a heavily congested hell ;) People living along the newly congested routes are suffering with the pollution too. I cycle and drive but as a cyclist the roads feel LESS safe and MORE polluted than ever! :facepalm::facepalm:

I might not have got a letter because I don't live directly around the area.
Different ward maybe.

Back
Top Bottom