Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Racism in Lambeth and Brixton

I am wanting to open discussions about racism in the borough and also offer a thread that can be a place where people can find out examples of racism and resistence in one place ...

Two weeks after the ascendancy to ancestorship of former central Brixton resident, Darcus Howe, and one week after the anniversary of the Brixton Riots, here is an example:

Trying to work this one out. I take it that the Met want to stop officers up for sack from defending themselves using the Equalities Act. If the Met get this other government bodies will use this as a precedent?

Basically someone defending themselves will not be able to argue that discrimination on race or gender is connected to the Met trying to sack them? That the Met will not have to prove that discrimination plays no part in this?

This thus weakens the range of the Equality Act. With Brexit looming the Equality Act is the only way to defend ones self as , now "we have our borders back" there will be no recourse to EU human rights legislation? I did think the European Court of Human Rights was separate from the EU? So not necessarily affected by Brexit?

Seems to me that if there is Equality Act it should not be allowed to have get out clause of Judicial Immunity. If the Met is so sure it does not discriminate it shouldn't be afraid of it being using in dismissal cases.

Can you explain more the background Lee Japser ?

I've looked at this

Black Activists Rising Against Cuts. (BARAC)

But feel I'm guessing as not expert on the Equalities Act.

Trying to work this one out. I take it that the Met want to stop officers up for sack from defending themselves using the Equalities Act. If the Met get this other government bodies will use this as a precedent?

Basically someone defending themselves will not be able to argue that discrimination on race or gender is connected to the Met trying to sack them? That the Met will not have to prove that discrimination plays no part in this?

This thus weakens the range of the Equality Act. With Brexit looming the Equality Act is the only way to defend ones self as , now "we have our borders back" there will be no recourse to EU human rights legislation? I did think the European Court of Human Rights was separate from the EU? So not necessarily affected by Brexit?

Seems to me that if there is Equality Act it should not be allowed to have get out clause of Judicial Immunity. If the Met is so sure it does not discriminate it shouldn't be afraid of it being using in dismissal cases.

I've looked at this

IMHO the authorities are trying to rule out equalities issues being cited in disciplinary cases, as you suggest. Maybe Lee Japser will confirm.
Having been through an ET case revolving around disability issues, I note that the English/American common law system dictates that the parties take positions which may well involve lying through their teeth and allege breeches of law or neglect of duty in a quadrille around potential compensation.

I am wondering what happens in Europe, where the situation is more inquisitorial. Do European police officers have tribunals, and how do they operate?

I've looked at this

As he appears to otherwise engaged, try:

Black Civil Right groups win Supreme court ruling (click for more)

More here:

P (Appellant) v Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis (Respondent) [2017] UKSC 65 On appeal from: [2016] EWCA Civ 2

SimonWoolley-RaceForJustice.jpg

Race and race-related issues in Lambeth are not featured on here quite as much as they used to be. Neither are incidents relating to youth violence - there used to be discussions about what drove youth violence and criminality, unless I've missed them, there's not as much evidence of them as there used to be...

Quite ...

Council staff in one of London’s most ethnically diverse boroughs have accused bosses of institutional racism, claiming that racial tension is escalating at the local authority with devastating consequences ..."

Staff accuse Lambeth council of institutional racism (click for more)

Quite ...
Council staff in one of London’s most ethnically diverse boroughs have accused bosses of institutional racism, claiming that racial tension is escalating at the local authority with devastating consequences ..."
Staff accuse Lambeth council of institutional racism (click for more)
Within that article is the following paragraph, which seems to indicate not much change in perception on the side of Unison and their members on one side and Lambeth Council on the other side in 15 years:
This is not the first time Lambeth council has been accused of institutional racism. In 2003, an eight-month investigation concluded that a key part of the south London authority, which was then Labour-led, had a culture of discrimination, bullying, victimisation, sexual harassment and unprofessional conduct.

I find the Independent almost impossible to read - pop-up adverts and demands you register etc.
I am at a loss to understand where we are in government today.
Before the compulsory registration cut in I gathered it was alleged that Lambeth Council had spent over a million points fighting this case.
And they had now agreed to pay ninety four thousand pounds compensation to thirty four people.

Meanwhile Lambeth libraries are having a teach-in on the Poll Tax revolt - it says elsewhere on Urban today.

Personally I's settle for allowing Minister Farakhan to say what he wants in Kennington Park and have a month or two off my Council Tax thank you very much.
What a load of bullshit.

Nearly four years later, it still seems remarkable that Lambeth Council were able to ban local man, Abdul-Hakeem Muhammad, who has lived in Brixton all his life, from speaking at a public event which he helped to organise. It is a shame that no-one from Lambeth Council, including the EventLambeth 'Officer-in-Charge' of the matter, Gabi Grose, will come forward to explain their involvement in this, and why they considered such action necessary:

Nation of Islam leader Abdul-Hakeem Muhammad: ‘We want to move forward after ban on Louis Farrakhan’

How Black activists took on Lambeth Council and the Met - and won

I am wanting to open discussions about racism in the borough and also offer a thread that can be a place where people can find out examples of racism and resistence in one place.

24 April 2020:

"Brixton Buzz extends its congratulations to Philip Normal, the UK’s first openly HIV+ mayor, who has now been elected Mayor of Lambeth ...

... We’ll be looking to enjoying some colourful moments from our new major!

Source: Philip Normal, the UK’s first openly HIV+ mayor, is the new Mayor of Lambeth

13 January 2022 - some "colourful moments":

Labour councillor and ‘La’ t-shirt maker Philip Normal resigns over ‘racist, Islamophobic’ tweets

52936443-10403285-image-m-21_1642179394862.jpg

"Equality was always at the heart of my politics when I was younger"

Philip Normal (previously known as Philip Burr) quoted here: Philip Normal, the UK's first openly HIV+ mayor, teams fashion with politics

24 April 2020:

Source: Philip Normal, the UK’s first openly HIV+ mayor, is the new Mayor of Lambeth

13 January 2022 - some "colourful moments":

Labour councillor and ‘La’ t-shirt maker Philip Normal resigns over ‘racist, Islamophobic’ tweets

52936443-10403285-image-m-21_1642179394862.jpg

"Equality was always at the heart of my politics when I was younger"

Philip Normal (previously known as Philip Burr) quoted here: Philip Normal, the UK's first openly HIV+ mayor, teams fashion with politics

It was actually Brixton Buzz that broke the story about his racist tweets as soon as they came to light.

If you gave a shit about racism rather than taking constant cheap digs at a local, non profit independent blog, you should be congratulating the site for not only breaking the story in the first place but keeping up the pressure until he was forced to stand down.

Tweets from ex-Mayor of Lambeth mock ‘hairy Arabs, Muslim women and big black men’

Lambeth leader condemns Philip Normal’s ‘deeply offensive tweets’ and ‘appalling statements’

Philip Normal resigns as Lambeth councillor after shocking social media posts revealed

Back
Top Bottom