Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Quiche and Gravy - crap/not crap

Quiche with gravy

• Total voters

fudgefactorfive

The relentless taunting of the barbarians that litter the u75 chatroom has driven me to this :mad:

In typical Royle Family styley, the chatroom asked me what I was having for my tea the other week. I replied, truthfully, that it was quiche, veg and gravy. The storm of derision that followed was utterly devastating, mainly due to being completely unprepared for it: it has never, for one second, occurred to me that there is anything wrong with having quiche and gravy together on the same plate.

If we're going to get down to specifics, I'm a veggie, so it was broccoli quiche, spuds, broad beans and veggie gravy.

What's wrong with that!

<stops thinking> it sounds like it could be alright.

i'll ask the wife if we can have it one evening.

pip-pip :)

FFF I frequently find your posts slightly controversial but yet thought-provoking and authoritative. However, on this issue you are clearly wrong, wrong wrong my friend.

Whilst I generally approve of the Urban culture of live and let live and everyone making their own choices, egg products and gravy are clearly not designed to be on a plate together. It's written. Somewhere.

milesy said:
<stops thinking> it sounds like it could be alright.

i'll ask the wife if we can have it one evening.

pip-pip :)
:( Wish i had a wife who would cook and clean for me, and make me cups of tea and other lovely stuff that i have to do,,,,,

Poot said:
It's written. Somewhere.

it's on the internet. here. but just cos it's on the internet it doesn't make it true. it says so on wikipedia under the article for "the internet." so it's gotta be true.

fudgefactorfive said:
The relentless taunting of the barbarians that litter the u75 chatroom has driven me to this :mad:

In typical Royle Family styley, the chatroom asked me what I was having for my tea the other week. I replied, truthfully, that it was quiche, veg and gravy. The storm of derision that followed was utterly devastating, mainly due to being completely unprepared for it: it has never, for one second, occurred to me that there is anything wrong with having quiche and gravy together on the same plate.

If we're going to get down to specifics, I'm a veggie, so it was broccoli quiche, spuds, broad beans and veggie gravy.

What's wrong with that!

There's very little difference between having a bit of gravy on your veg or sticking a dressing on your salad. So I don't see a problem with it at all.

Someone said to me earlier this week, they went out for a posh meal and had a starter of strips of raw tuna with avocado ice cream. That sounds like much more if an iffy combination that quiche, veg and gravy. But it's really none of my buisness what people eat together.

I offer the fact that i was 6 months pregnant at the time as defence for the incident of jam doughnuts with pickled onions. However, I'm well aware that after that it would be a huge hypocracy to comment on anyone else's food combination choices.

I told my boyfriend about the quiche-and-gravy-hating masses gathering like stormclouds on the internet and he said "I suppose they don't like cheese and jam sandwiches either". But he's foreign.

toggle - the gravy doesn't just go on the veg - I like to slop it over about a third of the quiche too, and run it around the back so that the pastry gets nicely soaked.

toggle said:
There's very little difference between having a bit of gravy on your veg or sticking a dressing on your salad. So I don't see a problem with it at all.

Someone said to me earlier this week, they went out for a posh meal and had a starter of strips of raw tuna with avocado ice cream. That sounds like much more if an iffy combination that quiche, veg and gravy. But it's really none of my buisness what people eat together.

I offer the fact that i was 6 months pregnant at the time for the incident of jam doughnuts with pickled onions. However, I'm well aware that after that it would be a huge hypocracy to comment on anyone else's food combination choices.
:eek: Jam doughnuts and pickled onions!!!!!!!!

I bet that was a mad tingtastic combo,,:D

psycherelic said:
With veggie gravy it might be a bit acceptable, but surely it would make the pastry go soggy :confused:

Its not a nice thought......

Although, im partial to a vinegar sandwhich every now and then:eek:

Gravy.

Blech.

It's the shit the dinner ladies insisted got poured over ALL of this vegetarian's lunch.

No wonder I was thin until 15.

No wonder I suddenly got a bit strapping just about after 15.

Die, dinner ladies, die. Preferably drowned in vats of your own stinking gravy.

:D AAhhhh,,,, where can i get one of you from,, Tescos????

:mad: Damn Ms Pembrokestephen and her cunning ways of catching the rare man servent!!

:D

*Miss Daisy* said:
:D AAhhhh,,,, where can i get one of you from,, Tescos????

:mad: Damn Ms Pembrokestephen and her cunning ways of catching the rare man servent!!

:D
She's a bit cunning like that: even I don't know how she managed it, what with me being resolutely and really rather happily flying solo and all :D:D

*Miss Daisy* said:
:( Wish i had a wife who would cook and clean for me, and make me cups of tea and other lovely stuff that i have to do,,,,,

she's buggered off to stonehenge. the child and i both think she's abandoned us cos she doesn't love us anymore.

i should listen to my good friend rorymac. whenever i tell him what the wife has been up to he says "you should nip that in the bud, son".

he's right :(

pembrokestephen said:
She's a bit cunning like that: even I don't know how she managed it, what with me being resolutely and really rather happily flying solo and all :D:D
:D She must be a wiley wise women of the world,,,,,,

Dude, it's not the "quiche & gravy" that's the problem....:eek:

It's the quiche that's the problem!!!! :eek:

I mean seriously.......... quiche!!!!

:eek:

EastEnder said:
Dude, it's not the "quiche & gravy" that's the problem....:eek:

It's the quiche that's the problem!!!! :eek:

I mean seriously.......... quiche!!!!

:eek:
Shhurely I must be mistaken,, for a min then, i thought you was mocking the very suggestion that quiche is the bizz,,,

psycherelic said:
With veggie gravy it might be a bit acceptable, but surely it would make the pastry go soggy :confused:

I like pastry that is soggy from the dressing on the salad that i prefer to eat with quiche. it's yummy.

*Miss Daisy* said:
Shhurely I must be mistaken,, for a min then, i thought you was mocking the very suggestion that quiche is the bizz,,,
Quiche should only ever be eaten by the type of person who wears corduroys, watches Antiques Roadshow and listens to Brotherhood Of Man.

:cool:

toggle said:
I like pastry that is soggy from the dressing on the salad that i prefer to eat with quiche. it's yummy.

Yes but that's cold salad dressing soggy - and tart too.... not warm and tepid gravy soggy... different thing altogether...
food-smiley-016.gif

gaijingirl said:
Yes but that's cold salad dressing soggy - and tart too.... not warm and tepid gravy soggy... different thing altogether...
food-smiley-016.gif

Still sounds better than the raw tuna and avocado icecream, or the jam doughnuts with pickled onions:D

*ignores predictable anti-quiche knee-jerk savagery*

I do actually have a T-shirt that says "Nobody knows I eat quiche". I made it myself when I was younger and more idealistic.

fudgefactorfive said:
I do actually have a T-shirt that says "Nobody knows I eat quiche". I made it myself when I was younger and more idealistic.
Does it go with your corduroys?

:(

Back
Top Bottom