Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question about PAYG on overland trains…

story

Changing the facts
Can I use my contactless card to travel from London to Brighton?

I‘m sure I’ve done this in the past but the internet says I can’t.

Last edited:
If it's an Oyster card then you're limited to travel within Zones 1 to 6 (with a few exceptions)

Not Oyster, t’would be my bank card.

But probably better to buy a ticket.

What’s the betting all the barriers are open as I travel with my redundant ticket…

Like, buying a ticket to a gig and and then discovering you’re on the list. I soothe my broke-arse annoyance with the thought that if I were to buy the band a drink it would cost as much as the ticket anyway, so I’ve bought them a drink.

Not Oyster, t’would be my bank card.

But probably better to buy a ticket.

What’s the betting all the barriers are open as I travel with my redundant ticket…

Like, buying a ticket to a gig and and then discovering you’re on the list. I soothe my broke-arse annoyance with the thought that if I were to buy the band a drink it would cost as much as the ticket anyway, so I’ve bought them a drink.
Ah, that's a bit different, as skyscraper101 said.

It's all a complete mess really. I live on the very edge of Zone 6. Of the three closest stations two of them are in Zone 6 and one is outside. If I'm travelling into London I normally use my Oyster card on the Caterham line. If I was closest to the other station which is on the East Grinstead line I'd have to use my Key Smart card issued by Southern.

I haven't yet worked out if the Key Smart card will work if I visit friends who are also just outside Zone 6 but on a different line.

I’ve bought ma ticket.
12 quid more expensive to travel from Victoria than from Blackfriars. Which seems a bit bonkers.

I don’t get it

standing joke on threads about rail tickets. you obviously missed a few threads that got somewhat out of control a few years ago.

a maltese cross printed on the ticket means you can do whatever it is that a maltese cross printed on the ticket means you can do. if it hasn't got one and you try to whatever it is then it's ALL YOUR FAULT

i can't remember what it actually means now. i think the rules are available for inspection in the basement of an office on alpha centurai.

the whole damn thing is completely bloody crackers.

standing joke on threads about rail tickets. you obviously missed a few threads that got somewhat out of control a few years ago.

a maltese cross printed on the ticket means you can do whatever it is that a maltese cross printed on the ticket means you can do. if it hasn't got one and you try to whatever it is then it's ALL YOUR FAULT

i can't remember what it actually means now. i think the rules are available for inspection in the basement of an office on alpha centurai.

the whole damn thing is completely bloody crackers.
I think the reference is whether your ticket covers you outwards-from-London for a journey, or includes cross-London travel. But I am sure teuchter will be along to give us the specifics.

I'm nearly in Brighton now.

This story is now spread across three threads:

This one
Where are you on the network
Hot gigs

Last edited:
I think the reference is whether your ticket covers you outwards-from-London for a journey, or includes cross-London travel. But I am sure teuchter will be along to give us the specifics.

It means the ticket also includes travel via the underground, not just on national rail to the terminus station. Eg if you bought a ticket from Brighton to South Ken rather than just Victoria.

The Oystercard map above is mostly the same as the PAYG map. There are a few lines outside London that accept PAYG, but not Oyster, but all the ones that accept Oyster PAYG accept contactless PAYG.

It means the ticket also includes travel via the underground, not just on national rail to the terminus station. Eg if you bought a ticket from Brighton to South Ken rather than just Victoria.

Ah yes, I thought it was something akin to that.

Although not sure if it is the same if the cross London bit involves Thameslink or Crossrail or if that's different. Although Crossrail tickets ought to involve a cross...

'London Terminals' means the London terminals that it's valid to from that station, not any London terminal station. I think that might just have been the cause of the original argument - someone had tried to travel to a London terminal that wasn't one of the valid London terminals from where they travelled from...

When it was BR, tickets from south of the thames used to say 'London (SR)' so you could change somewhere and go to any southern region terminus station, which was relatively simple.

Is it too late to say you could have got off the train at east Croydon and tapped out and saved money? At least I think that’s possible, maybe it only saves money for travelling to Gatters

I confess that at this point I'm Liking posts despite not really understanding the complexities I've unleashed.
1668029475638.jpeg

I think Southern do have contactless, but just for their own tickets rather than Oyster.

I occasionally travel to Brighton for work and it’s always a bit of a pain having to decide which way to travel. Contactless linked into TFL would be much easier.

View attachment 350892

I think Southern do have contactless, but just for their own tickets rather than Oyster.

I occasionally travel to Brighton for work and it’s always a bit of a pain having to decide which way to travel. Contactless linked into TFL would be much easier.

Don't they only have "contactless" - for the whole route, that is, beyond the Oyster PAYG zones - for tickets on phones, not tapping your card in at the turnstiles?

This has all.gotten a bit Mornington Crescent.

Anyway.
I'm now on the fast train to Victoria. My ticket is a return to Blackfriars.

Stay tuned to find out if I get away with this jiggery pokery!

Is it too late to say you could have got off the train at east Croydon and tapped out and saved money? At least I think that’s possible, maybe it only saves money for travelling to Gatters

I don't know.

Why would I get off at East Croydon :confused:

Back
Top Bottom