Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prof Stephen Hawking: thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence

This article argues (somewhat clumsily) that despite the huge investment of money and time we are no nearer to making a computer with generalised intelligence. Because it's impossible.

I found it interesting as a reminder that there's always a new development in computing that AI-enthusiasts pin their hopes on, but which never solves the problem for them.

I found it interesting as a reminder that there's always a new development in computing that AI-enthusiasts pin their hopes on, but which never solves the problem for them.

I think somewhere along the way they got distracted by the sex bots.

A couple of interesting points, but nothing compelling.
Explain, surely the argument is about what is "intelligence." It is now multi-faceted and very different from what Turing originally thought of.

I struggled with this article tbh from the beginning, " when it was discovered that electronic computers are not just number-crunching machines, but can also manipulate symbols. " eh?

Edit: i got to the end and was a worthy read

Last edited:
Explain, surely the argument is about what is "intelligence." It is now multi-faceted and very different from what Turing originally thought of.

I struggled with this article tbh from the beginning, " when it was discovered that electronic computers are not just number-crunching machines, but can also manipulate symbols. " eh?

Edit: i got to the end and was a worthy read

Well, exactly - a machine that cannot manipulate symbols cannot really be called a computer in any sense at all.
As a sixth form sociology essay it does pretty well, but there's little of anything new that's substantial.

How is AI conscious?
I was watching this tonight and found it fascinating.

...from the point of view of consciousness not being a computation.
He discusses what happens when we humans "lose consciousness" and are for example anaesthetised...what happens to human consciousness and the physical mechanisms within the workings of microtubules.

I would like to know more.
Anyone got links to lectures etc? Not up to reading reams but online videos or lectures would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom