Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prof Stephen Hawking: thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence

weltweit

Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30290540
Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

Not if mankind manages it first...

(e2a: technically equivalent).
I think his concern is that developed and physically unlimited AI could develop itself in a much faster way than Humans can evolve thus in a few years far outstripping us.

And, for example, perhaps we could not hold them to Asimov laws ..

Look at the title of the thread.
I don't see anything wrong with it, anyhow it comes from the sub title of the article.

And it isn't as if machines aren't taking over bit by bit already, you don't need workers to weld cars together anymore and in Wolfsburg there has long been a lights out factory making engines.

I don't see anything wrong with it, anyhow it comes from the sub title of the article.

And it isn't as if machines aren't taking over bit by bit already, you don't need workers to weld cars together anymore and in Wolfsburg there has long been a lights out factory making engines.
Are they killing non AI folks too? Or is there some measure of control over them?

but very clever tools are not AI welt

I always wondered with AI how we'd ever really know if it wasn't just a machine made so cleverly we can't tell the difference. I suppose spontaneous creativity could be an indicator....but..

but very clever tools are not AI welt
No indeed, clever machine tools are still tools, but I think it pertinent that machines increasingly do jobs which used to be done by humans. Even fairly basic machines. You are right that they are not AI though.

I always wondered with AI how we'd ever really know if it wasn't just a machine made so cleverly we can't tell the difference. I suppose spontaneous creativity could be an indicator....but..

Back
Top Bottom