Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince with Miles Davis - Sign O' The Times - Live at Paisley Park New Year's Eve 1987

Brilliant, I am so chuffed I got to see him perform live at the Dome. Outstanding concert.
Looking forward to watching this. :thumbs:

I've just listened to Sign O' The Times all the way through for the first time in ages - I remembered it as being a little too long and with quite a bit of ballast, and it turns out I was wrong on both counts. I ended up digging out all the 12s from that era so I could play the extended versions too (why is there no long mix of I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man??)

Truly awesome,
After listening to the bootleg for decades, I can't believe I am finally hearing (and seeing!) this so clearly. Prince at his peak for me. Crying at the performance of my favourite song, If I was Your Girlfriend (56:35).
I had a tape of this, it got lost or pinched, so good to see the visuals now too. Well posted, thank you.

I've just listened to Sign O' The Times all the way through for the first time in ages - I remembered it as being a little too long and with quite a bit of ballast, and it turns out I was wrong on both counts. I ended up digging out all the 12s from that era so I could play the extended versions too (why is there no long mix of I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man??)
My feeling about Prince is he's channeled all his lifetime of being in (christian) cults into making and recreating his own cult, and each album is a cult session in its own...if you let yourself get into the cult you end up mesmerised and even tunes and lyrics that in the cold light of day and on their own you might not normally like or rate (...how about from Sign O The Times: Starfish & Coffee...The Cross...Adore...It...Hot Thing...) all make sense and all get a pass <especially so on the albums when he was at the height of his powers. And even more so when performed live.

Anything particularly good on the 12s you've got? I've barely heard any of them
And wheres all the releases from the Vaults we were promised...loads of extended and alternate mixes in there supposedly

And wheres all the releases from the Vaults we were promised...
They've just released a 12- LP extended box set of Sign O' The Times, with a load of alternate takes and new stuff from the vaults (this was what prompted me to dig it out). Presume they're planning on doing something similar with the other albums.

Nice, I watched the pre launch show which was excellent. Prince got pissed during that show because his band were more transfixed on Miles than him, so much that they all missed one of his stage cues. I imagine they got hefty fines for that lol

As for the box set I'm not normally one to spend silly money on overblown cash grabbing special releases but I'm going to take a hit on this one. He was in such a rich vein at this point in his career there's bound to be buried treasure in there somewhere. Also the original release was so poorly mixed this should really have been the first of "his" remastered series.

ETA I'm no one to brag but I have a booleg of that DVD.

Is the original release poorly mixed? It sounded grand when I had it in earlier...

And so it should. If you played it by CD though notice how much you had to turn the volume up compared to other CD's of that time. I normally have to put SOTT up to "11 or 12" on the volume dial. I don't have any other CD's that need that much volume.

Regarding 12 inchs. Back in the day I was an absolute Prince fanatic. I brought everything I could get my hands on. US releases, Madhouse, The Time, Mazeratti. Picture discs, coloured vinyl everything I could get my hands on. I used to order alot from record collector megazine I think it was.

Later when I was totally skint I sold all of my records to a second hand record store, we're talking something like 600 records. Not just Prince obviously.

Of all the records I should not have sold were my Prince 12 inches because literally nobody made as many decent 12 inches in the 80's as he did!

A few years ago I brought some of that regret back from Ebay. Pictured here is literally the only Viynl I own to this day. The white one at the bottom if you cant tell is "I wanna be your lover"

DSC_0360.JPG

They've just released a 12- LP extended box set of Sign O' The Times, with a load of alternate takes and new stuff from the vaults (this was what prompted me to dig it out). Presume they're planning on doing something similar with the other albums.
weird, looked on discogs and didnt see that

btw if you want prince videos this channel is a gold mine

loads of live shows and bootlegs and some good interviews too, enjoyed the ones with eric leeds

ETA: in fact the interviews are on this channel

Last edited:
weird, looked on discogs and didnt see that
It literally came out yesterday. Its 13 LPs and a DVD for almost 300 quid.

Nice, I watched the pre launch show which was excellent. Prince got pissed during that show because his band were more transfixed on Miles than him, so much that they all missed one of his stage cues. I imagine they got hefty fines for that lol

As for the box set I'm not normally one to spend silly money on overblown cash grabbing special releases but I'm going to take a hit on this one. He was in such a rich vein at this point in his career there's bound to be buried treasure in there somewhere. Also the original release was so poorly mixed this should really have been the first of "his" remastered series.

ETA I'm no one to brag but I have a booleg of that DVD.

I've finally got around to listening to the SOTT remaster. Master MQA files through Tidal no less and on first listen it's nothing to get too excited about but late at night when you can hear more of the fine details it's absolutely amazing. So many layers of vocals and instrumental parts are dug right out of mix. Especially in If I Was Your Girlfriend where he lays on the vocal overdubs that are recorded at different speeds to give him that weird vocal effect. Also in Housequake. That is genius right there!

If you like Prince and haven't heard it yet, get on it! it's well brilliant :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom