Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post-Olympics Comedown... :(

twentythreedom

Patterdale Terrorist
R.I.P.
I'm dreading it tbh. Ring your fears and anxiety to this thread, we can help each other through the pain.. Me, I've got PreOlympicClosingAnxietySyndrome already :(

I've enjoyed watching lots of obscure sports, it's a shame they won't be on tv after this

well, there's paralympics after that, so the comedown can be postponed for a while. Best cure for it? Take up a new sport! ;)

There'll be some inspiring stories to come in the Paralympics. Unfortunately with only Channel 4 covering them it'll take a little more effort to find them.

Newsnight about to report how olympic boxing medals can be bought... no specific doping stories have come out yet either (there was one doping failure i heard of, but ive forgotten what and who it was now)...sportwise it all feels very wholesome and above board at the moment...that cant last...and if it does its just because the corruption/cheating remains hidden...

I'm dreading the return to normal daytime TV (I'm on holiday ATM), it's been great to be able to watch great stuff like the triathlon, with massive enthusiastic crowds all over, on weekday morning tele. Next week back back to Treasure in The Attic & Kyle. :facepalm: Glad I'm back to work soon.

There'll be some inspiring stories to come in the Paralympics. Unfortunately with only Channel 4 covering them it'll take a little more effort to find them.

I know it's advertising and lefties are supposed to hate it, blah blah... but Channel 4 have done a brilliant job in advertising the Olympics, far better than that LloydsTSB inspired animated shite the BBC put out.

paralympics46_460.jpg

I was beginning to think about the post Olympics comedown as early as Sunday night, the half-way point. It's compounded by there being shit all worth watching on tv generally apart from sport. Britain easing off on the medals between now and the end might soften the withdrawal. There's the 3rd test match, of course, but it's just not the same.

I fear massive overuse of the words 'inspiring' and 'inspirational'.

You may be right but from this distance it's hardly hyperbole. I can see the word being used as a form of patronisation, as a media synonym for 'brave' or 'dear thing'.
That was not my intention here though.

It will be difficult, but the chances are Luis Suarez or John Terry will probably do something like punch a toddler or score a goal by throwing huge bundle of cash wrapped around two WAGS in the first away game that they are involved in, everyone will get caught up in the outrage of it all and we will forget this glorious few weeks when normal people behave wonderfully.

I like this very much. Not so much the "super-crip" stuff. The Paralympics are great though, I love them because they are so obviously underfunded and surrounded by slightly embarrassed able-bodied people.

Given my disability background, I'm supposed to be supportive of the Deaflympics. Now THAT'S embarrassing. You're deaf, so you can't quite do a lot of the "normal" sports quite as well as hearing people for practical reasons, but you're also not allowed to be in the paralympics because frankly, it's a bit of an insult letting deaf people into the 100m wheelchair final.

My dad's girlfriend was in the GB bowling team in the last Deaflympics. She's shit. :D

Charity shield must be soon......?
Chelsea v Man City sounds good to me...it'll be a wicked match! :cool: Also Gills play Bradford :cool:

I'm looking forward to broadcast media returning to its usual reports of doom and gloom rather than daily updates of brit toffs winning medals in a corporate tournament.

I'm looking forward to broadcast media returning to its usual reports of doom and gloom rather than daily updates of brit toffs winning medals in a corporate tournament.

Mohamed Farah, is a war refugee who should maybe win a medal tonight. He aint a toff. Jess Ennis, Jade Jones and Nicola Adams aint posh either. All got gold medals because they've been training since they were about 6. I agree the corporate shit sucks, but I take my hat off to the athletes.

sunny jim, sorry, I forgot to make it clear the majority of medals were for toff sports. Would Mr Farah have got a medel had he wanted to be a rower, shooter or some equestrian hopeful?

sunny jim, sorry, I forgot to make it clear the majority of medals were for toff sports. Would Mr Farah have got a medel had he wanted to be a rower, shooter or some equestrian hopeful?
Those events you refer to only make up 15 of our 58 medals so far. Even if you include sailing, it only brings the total up to 20. You're talking out of your arse.

I'm dreading it ending too. Especially as I was looking at the time difference in Rio and realising next time I doubt I'll be able to watch as much live as I have this time. Paras will be good but will be back at work and will also miss the 34 channel coverage.

Those events you refer to only make up 15 of our 58 medals so far. Even if you include sailing, it only brings the total up to 20. You're talking out of your arse.
As you seem to know it all, and before accusing me of 'talking out of my arse', care to supply a social-econimic breakdown of contestants background? ...Thought not. :D
Lord Moynihan has condemned the dominance of public school-educated athletes in Team GB as “wholly unacceptable” and called for an overhaul of the education system to increase the number of state-school pupils winning medals.

Back
Top Bottom