Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police Spy Bob Lambert Confronted at St. Andrews

Well theres a differnce between a one off shag (which is still very shit) and a cop based intimate relationship - which is even worse.

I agree with where your coming from - but wonder wether it might partly be to do with the male coppers having ongoing relationships with their victims - but i didn't know weather this was the case with the female cops.

clearly there is also the element that doing it do a female is seen as worse becasue they are more 'fragile vuneralbe' etc - when its should be seen as equally shit.

I'd feel fucking horrible if I found out I'd had sex with an undercover.

Reactions: ymu
Now this is getting very interesting. I think the PSC/related people may have some serious questions to ask themselves - as does exter university.

Its a c&p spy - no ones making that argument here. I hope.
I'd defend the right of anything which was born onto this planet, to have the right to live out its life. No one species is more important than the other. It's only this illusion of inteligence which makes humans think they're more worthy of life than every thing else. Quite frankly, thoughts like that show the exact opposite.

I'd defend the right of anything which was born onto this planet, to have the right to live out its life. No one species is more important than the other. It's only this illusion of inteligence which makes humans think they're more worthy of life than every thing else. Quite frankly, thoughts like that show the exact opposite.
Picture missing.

Just a reminder:
Undercover police had children with activists

Two undercover police officers secretly fathered children with political campaigners they had been sent to spy on and later disappeared completely from the lives of their offspring, the Guardian can reveal.​
One of the spies was Bob Lambert, who has already admitted that he tricked a second woman into having a long-term relationship with him, as part of an intricate attempt to bolster his credibility as a committed campaigner.

The second police spy followed the progress of his child and the child's mother by reading confidential police reports which tracked the mother's political activities and life.​

Anyone know if this is the same Bob Lambert in 2004:

The security services, who know a real terrorist threat from a tabloid fabrication, actually wanted us to engage with al-Qaradawi and Special Branch believed his visit was important in preventing al- Qaeda from recruiting young British Muslims. An internal Special Branch report said ‘Sheikh al-Qaradawi has a positive Muslim community impact in the fight against al-Qaeda propaganda in the UK. His support for Palestinian suicide bombers adds credibility to his condemnation for al-Qaeda in those sections of the community most susceptible to the blandishments of al-Qaeda terrorist propaganda.’ The head of the Special Branch Muslim Contact Unit, Detective Inspector Bob Lambert, told Andrew Hosken: ‘It became clear that most of the Muslim groups we were working with – those groups which were proving to be effective at the grass roots and in persuading young people not to get involved in dangerous activity – held City Hall and the Mayor in very high regard.

Rejecting criticism from journalists like Nick Cohen and Martin Bright that we were ‘appeasing radical Islam’, Bob Lambert said, ‘We were worried about young London Muslims who in some cases could have become al-Qaeda terrorists and supporters. Ken is part of an alliance which says to
the same young people, “Look we can empathise with your grievances, the same grievances that al-Qaeda exploits for terrorist recruitment – we have the same grievances; you don’t have to go down that road …” Where the mayor was useful was with his record of support for minorities, I think
potentially, if anyone can, he is well placed to broker dialogue … Only through engagement can you hope to move people forward.’

This is from Ken Livingstone's memoir, You Can't Say That and it's referring to 2004.

(Cheers to Paul for the tip),

what are they dave?
Mostly to do with obfuscation of sources, failure to clearly corroborate sources, inconsistencies in some areas of their analysis (eg classification and numbering conventions), and similar issues which could be reasonably ascribed to the desire to protect journalistic sources.

In addition whilst there is an index, there is no proper referencing of sources. The book borrows liberally from texts such as Eveline Lubbers' Secret Manoeuvres In The Dark and John Vidal's McLibel, and the Peter Taylor documentary series True Spies, without accurate attribution, and sometimes conflates Lewis/Evans' narrative or original research with that of the previous authors.

Most troubling on this front, they borrow from Taylor's work seemingly without reservation, despite the documentary's interesting genesis - at a time of Security Service/Special Branch inter- and intra-factional fighting. Lewis and Evans regurgitate the same claims made in the Taylor documentary (such as the Newbury private security spy hired by Thames Valley Police) without further standing them up.

(In contrast, Lubbers contacted Taylor to find out which private security company the Newbury spy worked for, but after checking through his notes he was unable to tell her whether he had been told the firm's name, and if he had been which firm it was; he could only find general reference in his notes to three security firms.)

The authors also fail to transparently explain their methodology in identifying police spies (hence the confusing exposure/non-exposure of 'Rod Richardson').

There is a general failure to provide historical context to the various (identified) police spies.

In terms of the narrative of the investigation into police spies, there is a somewhat disingenuous downplaying of the release of the original Mark Kennedy/Mark Stone exposure story on IndyMedia. Tony Thompson is also whitewashed out of the story (bar a thank-you in the acknowledgements).

There's other stuff, but it's late and I'm sure the above gives an idea.

In case you hadn't seen it, here's the New Yorker piece which came out today.

You may be familiar with the basic elements of the story, but this is the first time some of the background details have been publicly aired. And some of them are gruesome.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/25/the-spy-who-loved-me-2

It tells the story of Jacqui (previously referred to as ‘Charlotte’), the woman who once upon a time fell in love with a dashing animal rights activist named ‘Bob Robinson’.

In reality, ‘Robinson’ was Robert Lambert, a career-long veteran of Special Branch, who in 1983 was sent deep undercover to infiltrate political groups on behalf of the secretive Special Demonstration Squad.

Almost immediately after being deployed on the ground, complete with the stolen identity of a dead child, Lambert sought out Jacqui at a protest, and began to woo her - which helped ease his way into animal rights groups that she was on the periphery of. Pretty soon they were an item, and by Christmas of 1984 Jacqui fell pregnant with Bob's son.

But in 1987 the relationship fell apart, as Bob became increasingly distant, argumentative, provocative. He began an 18 month relationship with another woman, ‘Karen’, who not part of any activist scene. In 1988, he disappeared completely from the lives of Jacqui, ‘Karen’ and all the people he had befriended during his adventure as a spy - ostensibly on the run in Spain to avoid the clutches of Special Branch, who had already arrested two other members of Bob's ALF incendiary bomb gang.

Between 1988 and late 2012, he made no attempt to remain in the life of his son. It was only when Jacqui realised that her long-disappeared ‘Bob Robinson’ was the same man as the former secret policeman Bob Lambert who had been accused of having set off a firebomb that gutted a department store whilst an undercover policeman, and tracked him down, that he showed any interest in his own progeny.

And that, in a nutshell, is the “genuine personal feelings” that the Met Police, recently forced to admit that Lambert was one of its spies, thinks drove Lambert to seek out an impressionable young activist, pester her into a relationship, impregnate her, emotionally bully her, dump her and then disappear from her life and the life of their son.

[Cross-posted]

Back
Top Bottom