Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pointless Friday Night Music Poll/Discussion #1

Who?

• Total voters
TBH, I don't really know Dylan or Young much - sacrilege, I know! So it's Bowie out of those guys. I reevaluated Springsteen after listening to him in the light of his autobiography (which is excellent)

He has a lovely voice. His MTV Unplugged is great.
He's also musically diverse. The difference between After the Gold Rush and the grungey Mirrorball (which is my favourite album of his) is amazing.

Bowie was often brilliant but did some bilge.
I listen to Springsteen far more than Bowie, occasionally Young (Harvest/After the goldrush are great Sunday morning records) and never Dylan

Re. Dylan - I really like his songs and the harmonica, just not keen on his voice!

Dylan, Bowie, I don't own enough albums be the other two to make a more assured assessment.

Although I did pick up Nebraska recently and it's hauntingly brilliant.

Bowie does nothing for me. He made too much dross in the 80's when I was forming my musical tastes and has never managed to restore his rep. I know I'm well in the minority here but that's how it is. Love Neil Young and like a lot of Springsteen but both had made some poor music over the years IMO. The best is Bob.

Bowie does nothing for me. He made too much dross in the 80's when I was forming my musical tastes and has never managed to restore his rep. I know I'm well in the minority here but that's how it is. Love Neil Young and like a lot of Springsteen but both had made some poor music over the years IMO. The best is Bob.

Love Bob, but tbf, his output in the 80s isn't all that. Oh Mercy being an exception.

Total respect for all of them but I’ve very little interest in most of their music.

Neil Young and Dylan I just find equally dull AF. I really couldn’t name a track between them which I could get down to.

The only Bowie number I really like is Let’s Dance. A couple of others from that album are ok but can’t be doing with most of the glam/ziggy stuff or his 90s era, just sounds like boring dross to me. Heroes is ok but so totally overplayed it annoys me. That said, the track he released the day before he died, Where Are We Now was pretty special so I’ll give him that.

Springsteen maybe has a few more than any I like, like Human Touch, Streets of Philadelphia, Lucky Town. I quite like some of the tracks from Born In The USA like Glory Days, and Cover Me, but I really can’t stand any of those OTT cheesy overly indulgent good time Americana tracks with saxophone. So by process of elimination I’d have to go with Bruce.

Last edited:
Bowie (particularly Hunky Dory)
Young (particularly Harvest)
Dylan (earlier rather than later)
Springsteen (if I really have to)

The only Bowie number I really like is Let’s Dance.

I love Let's Dance. It has that brassy, IMHO very eighties sound. Shows how his music evolved with the times, in the way that it evolved from glam to funky stuff like Golden Years in the 70s.

I love Let's Dance. It has that brassy, IMHO very eighties sound. Shows how his music evolved with the times, in the way that it evolved from glam to funky stuff like Golden Years in the 70s.

It’s by far my favourite track of his. I love the production, the grove, the video, everything. It’d be the only track of his which would make my top 50. Credit to Nile Rogers too of course.

Back
Top Bottom