Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

please tell me about your ties with the new york mafia

Still weirdly spell bound by these shits. It’s the damn interviews, some are just captivating full stop. What’s wrong with me lol

I must have gone through 100 hours of “statue of limitations now over” interviews with NYC LCN. They also give often a very real and visceral sense of what nyc was like in the 70s, 80s, 90s in working class Italian hoods

Not mafia, BigMoaner, but have you seen 80 Blocks From Tiffany's?

Thread:

Film:

Not mafia, BigMoaner, but have you seen 80 Blocks From Tiffany's?

Thread:

Film:

Benign Neglect and Planned Shrinkage
Verso Blog 25 March 2017
The frequency and scale of the spectacular fires that consumed much of the South Bronx and other areas of New York City throughout the 1970s can in large part be blamed on the recommendations for fire service reduction made by the New York City-RAND Institute and HUD between 1969 and 1976. In 1973, urban epidemiologists Deborah Wallace and Rodrick Wallace got access to Rand's fire service reports. Immediately recognizing the flimsy pseudoscience that undergirded their claims, they began to write and campaign against the station closures and the other policies based on Rand recommendations.

"By 1978," the Wallaces write in their introduction to A Plague on Your Houses: How New York Was Burned Down and National Public Health Crumbled (published by Verso in 1998), "we discovered that the Rand-recommended fire service cuts had triggered an epidemic of building fires and heated up a related epidemic of building abandonment. We submitted a grant proposal to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to assess public health outcomes of this massive destruction of housing in New York's poor neighborhoods. The NIH did not even review our proposal. That research plan, carried out over a period of fifteen years without federal funding, resulted in this book."

In the excerpt below, Wallace and Wallace situate the development of Rand's recommendations in the context of the deliberate de-industrialization of New York undertaken by federal and state officials.

looks like a good companion to Rubble Kings. Never ceases to astonish me how fucked they let it get. Because its a union town, because they were black areas. They'd rather let the city rot than let the people in in it live their lives.

i mean it's stupid and probably feeding into somethign extremely toxic but joey merlino, the one time lead of the Philly Mafia, who was running a mass criminal empire for a long while, has just been interviewed. as said, it's a bit sad, but i do find these old type mobsters fascinating. loan sharking, book making, social clubs, "forget abooutt it".

I have a broad range of cultural tastes, from dubstep to Zen buddhism to heidegger to poetry.

also got a massive unrelenting obsession with the american mafia 🥹 :D not sure what the fuck is wrong with me.

totally obsessed with the Deep Cover podcast where they interview donnie brasco about his six years. spellbinding.

it's the audacity of it all.

I have a broad range of cultural tastes, from dubstep to Zen buddhism to heidegger to poetry.

also got a massive unrelenting obsession with the american mafia 🥹 :D not sure what the fuck is wrong with me.

totally obsessed with the Deep Cover podcast where they interview donnie brasco about his six years. spellbinding.

it's the audacity of it all.
i bought a book when i was in junior school about famous criminals and was obsessed with lucky luciano, lepke buchalter, meyer lansky and dillinger. it had illustrations of fellers in fedoras and trenchcoats firing tommy guns. been with me ever since.
i also got at the same time a book of famous murderers but lizzie borden didnt dress as stylishly so i wasn't that interested.

Reactions: tim
"It was La Crossing Nostra"
(Idris2002)

(sry for mudoch link)
“He spent his life looking over his shoulder but he forgot to look both ways before crossing the street,” one police source said.

this was fascinating. sad change of a neighhourhood that was once a thriving community where everyone knew each other. not really mafia related directly, but mulberry street was a hot bed of teh five families (and this chap was a member of the gambino family but doesn't mention it)."

Back
Top Bottom