Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Please recommend me some European action movies

It's a while since I've seen it, but it's not really blowing-shit-up-style action, is it?

The list to check out so far:

• Déjà Mort
  • Gangsters
  • Mr 73
  • Amsterdamned
  • Chrysalis
  • Gamblers
  • Le Convoyeur
  • Autumn
  • Almost Blue
  • Not For Or Against
  • Amnesia
  • Romanzo Criminale
  • Gomorrah
  • Largo Winch
  • Brotherhood Of The Wolf

Any more for any more?

Oh, and talking of Magyar films, has anyone seen the 1980 Kojak Budapesten, in which New York cop Kojak turns up at a conference in Hungary and ends up solving crimes? More to the point, can anyone source me a copy of it?

Run Lola Run is excellent :cool:

I was referring to the other type of movie that Germany is known for :(

That is only known to those who are really interested in that sort of thing and strangely enough is only ever referred to in the UK. :hmm:

Romanzo Criminale
Gomorrah

I've finally been getting down to watching the films I got in on the various recommendations made here - Romanzo Criminale was the first one I watched, and whilst I appreciate there is some skill and talent in play, I really didn't like it. Promised much more than it delivered, IMHO. Sorry!

But I will be trying out Gomorrah in the near future, and I suspect it will be a whole lot better.

Just to let all those who have made suggestions know that their help has not been in vain, here's the state of affairs so far...

Previously seen
36 Quai Des Orfèvres AKA Department 36
Lola Rennt AKA Run Lola Run
La Haine AKA Hate
Pusher

Watched
Pacte Des Loups AKA Brotherhood Of The Wolf
Romanzo Criminale
MR 73

Cued up
Truands
Gomorra
Largo Winch
Amsterdamned
Il Divo
Ni Pour Ni Contre
Revanche
Zazie Dans Le Metro(!)
La Fille Coupee En Deux
Almost Blue
Kontroll

Having trouble locating
Déjà Mort
Chrysalis
Gamblers
Le Convoyeur
Autumn
Amnesia

Have you seen Mesrine?

Fucking ace :cool:

It was pretty good, I definitely preferred the first part, the second seemed to lose its way somewhat.

I managed to get hold of Le Convoyeur - I thought it was very good indeed. It's about a loner with an air of mystery who joins a tinpot payroll security firm at a time when it's suffering from repeated robberies, low morale & wages, and an impending takeover by a big American company. It is lit, shot and edited with economy, and the script does not spoonfeed the audience with plot points.

Cavale is part of the generally very good Lucas Belvaux trilogy - it's the strongest film of the three. The second being as shit as Terry and June and the third very good. It's not a normal trilogy, it's a connected series of views of a series of small events and their effects on a group of interacting characters - each one done in a different Genre the terry and june one done in bourgeois french farce style - and all intended to be both stand-alone and watchable in any order. Belveaux is one of the most interesting directors/actors out there right now and someone who really really hates capitalism. The other two films are:

An Amazing Couple
After the Life

I'm ahead of you there, at the other place. The third one's got no seeds, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom