Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phil Collins - Time for re-evaluation?

It's always worth posting this again;

iu

I like him very much. My dad used to listen to him and get a bit teary either in the car on the drive back from my nana's or on the evenings my mum would go to visit her mum. As such old Phil has a special place in my heart.

I had a neighbour who played Phil Collins' Another Day in Paradise non-stop, morning til night, at full blast - after six months I went after the cunt with a hammer, and got nicked.

He wasn't hurt, but only because I couldn't get beyond his security door.

Plod let me off after I explained the circumstances, and agreed to pay for any damages to the door/windows that I attacked.

They also warned him against playing anymore Phil Collins.

Phil Collins is shit!

Think autocorrect must have changed "minutes" to "months" here.

theres a really good R&B album of artists covering his songs. The version of 'another day in paradise' is better than his original

the man himself comes off as a raging bell

Saw Genesis years ago and Collins was great, one of the best shows I ever went to. And Iv seen lots.

Dam Funk included Thru These Walls in a playlist of his favourite tunes :eek:

Code:
https://open.spotify.com/user/residentadvisor%28ra%29/playlist/2aHZHD2lPwptzMMWss3PL2
Can't embed the playlist for some reason

I couldn't stand Collins before and I twice as much would not be able to to stand him now.

I saw some extracts from his warts and all biography the other week.

He veered into alcohol abuse because Switzerland is so boring. Once, he fell down some stairs as he was so drunk. Another time, he leant over to do something and banged his head so hard, he bled. Even as a fucking drunk, we was a lightweight. A fucking tax dodging lightweight

No compromise. No rehabilitation for Collins.

"We had a life, we had a love,
But you don't know what you've got 'til you lose it
Well that was then and this is now
And I want you back
How many times do I have to say I'm sorry
How can something so good go so bad
How can something so right go so wrong
I don't know, I don't have all the answers
But I want you back
How many times can I say I'm sorry
You can run, and you can hide
But I'm not leaving less you come with me
We've had our problems but I'm on your side
You're all I need, please believe in me
I only wanted someone to love
But something happened on the way to heaven
It got a hold of me and wouldn't let go
And I want you back
How many times do I have to say I'm sorry
You can run...
They say you can't take it with you
When you go
And I believe it
But taking what I've got or being
here with you, you know
I'd rather leave it
You can run..."

Read these lyrics. read them. Even Paul McCartney would be sickened if he produced these

I heard him interviewed on radio 4 a few weeks ago, bit of a dull cunt if that's anything to go by. Nothing much to say.

Musically though - his 70s discography has some very great records in it: albums by eno, fripp and cale, loads more besides. I like quite a few of his 80s hits, although some make me nauseous. I haven't paid attention since then, but then: I haven't paid attention to stevie wonders recent output either, and he follows a similar trajectory. No-one hates stevie.

8 years on from op ...

... and the Abominable Collins is still just as shit now as he was back in 2008, and has been since for the last few decades ... :hmm:. Just IMO like ;)

I missed this thread in 2008 for whatever reason. I wouldn't even have known about it but for this evil disinterring ...

:mad:

Now its 12 years since the OP. I think Collins is well on the rehabilitation trail.

Does most of you on this thread's hatred still burn so bright, or have you mellowed as you settle into your dotage, like Phil.

This is a great song BTW

how about this

with phil bloody collins. in geneva.

i've never quite worked out if this was a joke or what

Back
Top Bottom