Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phil Collins - Time for re-evaluation?

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
Following on from a discussion on Adam & Joes 6Music show, i thought they had a point - is it time to re-evaluate the work of dear Phill Collins?

They reasoned it was, and also accused those of called him bland and boring of being lazy thinkers, and just going with the flow.

After this i looked up Collins on Youtube, and i have to admit i knew loads and loads of his songs, some are pretty good too; Mama, Against all Odds, Sussudio, In too Deep, One More Night, Invisible Touch, Take Me Home, Follow you Follow me, Land of Confusion, Turn it on Again, Jesus he Know's Me and the superb song - Easy Lover.

Bruce Springsteen turned it around - remember how he was the byword for shit after he was massive in the 80's - what a backlash that was.

Now - i know i'll get loads of flack for this thread, but actually think about the songs he has done, especially compared to much of todays bland shit, and the crap bands like U2 put out. He's not so bad after all.

I'm not saying he's a Bowie or Stevie wonder type figure, far from it, but is he really as bad as you think he is?

most of phil's solo tunes now make me want to slit my wrists or go on some shooting rampage with a fully automatic AK47 with hollow-point bullets :D

"easy lover" is a great song, but i think that has to be down to the other phil. on his own, collins is awful. his version of 'you can't hurry love' is the all time nadir for popular music. name something that's worse. it isn't.

"easy lover" is a great song, but i think that has to be down to the other phil. on his own, collins is awful. his version of 'you can't hurry love' is the all time nadir for popular music. name something that's worse. it isn't.

That song he did for the 'Buster' soundtrack, it was called 'Groovy Kind Of Love.'

Worse than even a Jive Bunny compilation, and that's saying something.

I'm not saying he's great, but is he really as shit as everyone thinks?

Have we just been conditioned to think that cos everyone says it?

He's done better stuff than say, Kylie, and people love Kylie

By the way, i love Bruce and don't think collins is fit to touch the cap in his back pocket - but was just using it as an example how 10 years ago everyone hated him, collins style, and he was re-evaluated. Same to a minor extend with Dire Straits

No, he's still shit, there were a couple of jungle remixes of 'In The Air Tonight' about last year, you have to say that the drum sounds on that track are very good, but the horrible synth and his horrible voice and everything except the drum sounds and the bits that were nothing to do with that song were fucking terrible

I'm not saying he's great, but is he really as shit as everyone thinks?

Have we just been conditioned to think that cos everyone says it?

He's done better stuff than say, Kylie, and people love Kylie

By the way, i love Bruce and don't think collins is fit to touch the cap in his back pocket - but was just using it as an example how 10 years ago everyone hated him, collins style, and he was re-evaluated. Same to a minor extend with Dire Straits

make sure you drink plenty of water before you go to bed;)

I like a few of his songs - I will never be able to butcher another hooker without the sounds of Su-su-sidio playing on my chunky Walkman

Don't worry, I can steer laser guided munitions to their house via their IP address.

is he really as bad as you think he is?

Er... yes. His crimes are legion. :mad:

(-Usual caveat applies: drummed a bit for Eno, blah blah blah...)

What really disturbs me is the crossover effect of that appalling Urban Renewal album. My noisy neighbour listens to Eminem and Maxi Priest every fucking day, but occasionally sticks on a bit of Phil Collins, presumably when he's in a mellow mood... :( :D

Lets look at the facts... he's an excellent drummer, a highly accomplished songwriter and buster was ok in the 80's... and he's a multi million selling artist... objectively he wins.

but he is still a bit of a penis

Back
Top Bottom