Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to make busy Effra Road / Brixton Water Lane junction safer for pedestrians

Rushy

basically a scrotum
1670236115869.png

A petition has been started asking Lambeth to improve the pedestrian crossing outside Hootenanny and Sainsburys, where Effra Road, Brixton Water Lane and Tulse Hill meet. I've raised this with the council numerous times over the years but never thought to start a petition myself :oops:. It would be great to get some traction behind it.

Two of the four crossings are marked as crossings but have no pedestrian phase, so people just guess and run. It's risky enough on your own, let alone with kids and a dog and your shopping. And since lockdown Brixton Water Lane is often backed up for much of its length. With drivers desperate to get through the short light phase outside Sainsburys cars are often seen jumping red lights putting pedestrians at even more risk.

Hopefully whilst they are at it they can take a moment to look at the Morval Road junction too.

(Any chance of a Buzz plug editor?)

Signed. Thanks for starting this. If there's a Buzz article (🤞) I'll share it in one of the big Brixton parents FB groups which should help.

Happy to support - thanks for posting.

My memory is that the main reason given for this not happening before was prioritising traffic flow. Is that right or was there another reason?

Happy to support - thanks for posting.

My memory is that the main reason given for this not happening before was prioritising traffic flow. Is that right or was there another reason?
I seem to recall reading something about TfL vetoing a new crossing some year back. Not sure why traffic is any more important here than it is at the other end of Brixton Water lane, where there is a 4 way pedestrian phase which works perfectly.

I seem to recall reading something about TfL vetoing a new crossing some year back. Not sure why traffic is any more important here than it is at the other end of Brixton Water lane, where there is a 4 way pedestrian phase which works perfectly.
Absolutely agree.

I was waiting to cross from Sainsbury's to effra road recently, on the bit with no pedesrian lights, and had to wait a good 10 mins or more. thankfully it wasn't raining. Most traffic lights usually have some part of the sequence where all 4 roads are on stop even for a few seconds - but not there. No cars giving way to pedestrians and cars still driving as the changed meant there was no let up between light changes. Eventually myself and another pedestrian built up courage to step out on to the road anyway in the hope the cars would just stop. Not ideal while dragging a heavy shopping trolley and for those less able to leg it.

Posted here: Petition launched to make a busy Brixton junction safer for pedestrians

The petition site sure likes to know a lot about the people trying to sign it :(
just signed - yes they want your full name and address and email and whether you live, work or study in the area, which I dont mind giving (can they be trusted to keep that info secure?) But fucking hell, all the people who sign have their names visible to the public, which I do object to - is that even legal?

I was waiting to cross from Sainsbury's to effra road recently, on the bit with no pedesrian lights, and had to wait a good 10 mins or more. thankfully it wasn't raining. Most traffic lights usually have some part of the sequence where all 4 roads are on stop even for a few seconds - but not there. No cars giving way to pedestrians and cars still driving as the changed meant there was no let up between light changes. Eventually myself and another pedestrian built up courage to step out on to the road anyway in the hope the cars would just stop. Not ideal while dragging a heavy shopping trolley and for those less able to leg it.
You shouldn't have to, but you can come out of Sainsburys, turn left, and then cross the zebra crossing just beyond Josephine Ave, then head back towards Effra Road.

Not ideal, but quicker and safer than the scenario you describe.

You shouldn't have to, but you can come out of Sainsburys, turn left, and then cross the zebra crossing just beyond Josephine Ave, then head back towards Effra Road.

Not ideal, but quicker and safer than the scenario you describe.
Yes I do know But why should pedestrians have to go out of their way with heavy shopping in all weathers, while car drivers sit in the warm ignoring us and getting in the way? Particularly true for those less mobile. As you say we shouldn't have too.

You'd think the Sainsburys store would have some interest given how many of their customers presumably walk/cycle there.
I read somewhere that Sainsburys offered to pay for it but TfL blocked it. Can't remember where though. Something here about them offering to pay £100,000 to improve the crossing.

FAssmR3WUAAoXvu

Last edited:
Are TfL responsible for that junction?

I’ve always thought that anything with a 20 limit is the responsibility of the council, 30 and above, ie Brixton Hill, is TfL.

Could a local councillor get some movement on the issue?

Are TfL responsible for that junction?

I’ve always thought that anything with a 20 limit is the responsibility of the council, 30 and above, ie Brixton Hill, is TfL.

Could a local councillor get some movement on the issue?
They say they are liaising with the petitioner and campaigning on it but no detail.

Back
Top Bottom