Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

peculiar books, bizarre books and unexpected books for tiny little niche readerships

Pickman's model

Starry Wisdom
i'll start you off with this little gem

51rGneShVTL.jpg

Published
  • Hoboken : Taylor and Francis 2014
Physical description
1 online resource (276 p.)
ISBN
Notes
  • Description based upon print version of record.
  • Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Contents
  • A Day in the Life The Team The Seasons The New Gig The Food & Techniques Menu Planning Provisioning Outfitting the Kitchen/Galley Breakfast Lunch Hors D'oevres Dinner Showtime! The Houses The Yachts The Islands The Planes Cooking for Celebrities The Dark Side Your Career Becoming a Private Chef
Summary
  • A Wonka-Like Journey into an Ultra Private World of Decadence and Excess From cooking for Martha Stewart, Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs, and Jerry Seinfeld to more than 20 of the world's most reclusive billionaires, Chef Neal Sheldon Salisbury has been serving the world's power elite for more than 15 years. His new book, The Billionaire's Chef: Cooking for the Rich and Famished takes you on a journey around the globe and into the private world of working for, living, and travelling with the world's billionaires. You'll find stories and tips on event planning and social etiquette, but that's not all. You'll get career advice from someone who has been to the top of the game, made mistakes, and groveled his way back into the game. The book goes beyond polite smile-inspiring stories and gets into the real-life challenges lived by Chef Neal and his peers, detailing disappointments and unexpected triumphs, battles of ego, the money, the sex (or sometimes lack of it) coupled with the loneliness-all a part of the job. Written with passion, love, and respect for craft and artistry, this book focuses on what is unique about the operation of kitchen on a superyacht or plane, even an impromptu or cleverly improvised kitchen on a beach. Chef Neal offers an honest, yet surreal view of what it is like to have worked as a top private chef during the "Golden Age" (1998-2008) of superyacht building / cruising and grand estate renovation / building. Whether you read it for escapism, as a practical career reference, or to help you throw better events doesn't really matter-just enjoy the trip.
Subject
Related item
  • Print version:: Salisbury, Neal The Billionaire's Chef : Cooking for the Rich and Famished Hoboken : Taylor and Francis,c2014 ISBN: 9781466587557
Language
  • English

worst-book-covers-titles-19.jpg

All thanks to the bad book covers thread!

Surely these are all books you knew existed otherwise you wouldn't post the covers.

Also, if they were books you never knew existed until you knew about them, surely that applies to all books you know about.

Immanuel Kant was the son of a Scottish leatherworker. Konigsberg his home town is now the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad between Poland and Lithuania.

Grandson, apparently, with the name being originally "Cant". (Says Wiki) I absolutely did not know that. Not sure if it would ever had made reading Kant and waiting for the verb to show up eventually somewhere on the next bloody page any less tedious, but I LOVE pointless snippets like that. Thanks. :) My challenge now is how can I manage to work that casually into a conversation. Hmm. :D

Came across this researching early rocket history,

http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Angel-Otherworldly-Scientist-Whiteside/dp/0156031795

Was looking for rocketry and got,

"a cast of characters ranging from Robert Millikan to L. Ron Hubbard, Pendle offers a fascinating glimpse into a world long past, a story that would make a compelling work of fiction if it weren't so astonishingly true."

Which was much better.

I expect the OP may be familiar with the book,as Parsons liked his Thelema .

The Wiki entry (not found in my research) is a good read too, lots of spoilers for the book though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer)

"Parsons jerked off in the name of spiritual advancement" while Hubbard "scanned the astral plane for signs and visions."[113]:D

ETF.Paranoia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom