Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Padron Peppers

Apparently* something like one in twenty is hot. I’ve never had a hot one, but the odds are actually quite high.

(* A friend I have no good reason to doubt, but who is admittedly not a food statistician, told me).
I am sure I had a higher hit rate than that when I ate them! Not that I'm complaining...
First had them in Madrid and had 3 or 4 hot ones there. Over here... none :(

I blame Brexit!

I think how they are grown makes a difference in terms of heat - I grew "Hot Banana" chilli variety this year which is supposed to be a mild one for stuffing and grilling (bit different to padron, but similarly not supposed to be hot, really low on the Scoville scale) and by putting the plant in drought conditions as the fruits were ripening they ended up not like massively hot, but decent jalapeno level of heat.

I’ve bought some

How should I cook them?

Ideally in an air fryer.
If in doubt, stuff with cream cheese, batter and deep fry.
It's one of my rules of life.
padron_peppers_1200-768x1024.jpg

I always enjoy the Padron Roulette when you get 6 mild ones and one killer one (from Sainsburys) but the odds are different with Tesco where hardly any are hot.

Also: excellent with truffle salt
Mine are from Lidl

I can’t recall having seen them in a shop beforehand but must admit I don’t look for them and by much the same basket each week

I always enjoy the Padron Roulette when you get 6 mild ones and one killer one (from Sainsburys) but the odds are different with Tesco where hardly any are hot.

Also: excellent with truffle salt
Did a bunch on a BBQ once for a dinner party.
One poor guest managed to get every single hot pepper. All three of them out of a bunch of like twenty. It was very funny.

11 peppers in total

None of them spicy

Used the Fez909 method, worked fairly well, kind of hard to mess up really!

Not as nice as I’ve had in a restaurant but hardly surprising as my cooking isn’t up to much!

11 peppers in total

None of them spicy

Used the Fez909 method, worked fairly well, kind of hard to mess up really!

Not as nice as I’ve had in a restaurant but hardly surprising as my cooking isn’t up to much!
Keep practising. Who knows, you may eventually encounter a hot padron! :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom