Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opening Fxxxing Paint tins

searching 'how to open a can of valspar paint' results in lots of people moaning about the same and returning them to B&Q. AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHH!

its a new extremely stupid type of plastic lid
without a gap so you can't easily insert a stout flat-bladed screwdriver? :facepalm:

How quickly will you use up the tin? Cos you could just stab through the plastic lid and cut a hole for getting the paint out, then tightly wrap the tin up in several layers of thick plastic bags to keep it from drying out.
EDIT: Like maomao said :)

I knew there was a reason I stuck with "traditional paints" ...

Sorry, friendofdorothy - I use a large, flat bladed screwdriver on metal tins. Pinging off the "jeebus clips" from new tins is one of my guilty pleasures.
Not sure how I would deal with those plastic ones. I presume there's a sealing ring to remove ...

I've always used a chisel, the blade is wider than a screwdriver and gets more leaverage
I agree the tool is massive help for metal and the normal plastic lids. The valspar lids however have done a deal with Satan and despite it being nice paint at a good price I'll be honest the lids do put me off.

Valspar lids are a fucking nightmare, I've got dodgy hands and can't get into the fuckers at all.

I dunno whether this video helps at all, although they struggle with it an all:

Don't know what they are faffing about with it. I've had similar tins of paint. There is a tab on the edge of the lid. You lift it up and snap it off. You then place your thumbs on the flat central part of the lid and your fingers in the gap where the tab was. Press down with the thumbs and pull up with your fingers and the lid comes off. :hmm:

Don't know what they are faffing about with it. I've had similar tins of paint. There is a tab on the edge of the lid. You lift it up and snap it off. You then place your thumbs on the flat central part of the lid and your fingers in the gap where the tab was. Press down with the thumbs and pull up with your fingers and the lid comes off. :hmm:
Lifting and snapping a tab can be tricky anyway if you've got small or not very strong hands - I gave up on a pack of feta the other day and stabbed it open with a knife in rage :D

Really couldn't face wasting time getting the bus to b&q and back (hour & half to two hours) so decided to have one more go.

My thumbs still ache from my efforts this morning.

Took two of us and large screwdriver - but did it in the end. Neither of us have fingers or thumbs strong enough to open the paint in the way it indicated. I loosened the outside bit either side first then the grlf pressed the middle of the lid with both hands, while I used the screwdriver as a lever.

What a faff! Will never buy that paint again!

Used half tin today, then covered tin with cling film and didn't close lid properly so i can finish off the painting without all that pain tomorrow.

Last edited:
I knew there was a reason I stuck with "traditional paints" ...

Sorry, friendofdorothy - I use a large, flat bladed screwdriver on metal tins. Pinging off the "jeebus clips" from new tins is one of my guilty pleasures.
Not sure how I would deal with those plastic ones. I presume there's a sealing ring to remove ...
Yes metal tins if I can find them from now on.

Really couldn't face wasting time getting the bus to b&q and back (hour & half to two hours) so decided to have one more go.

My thumbs still ache from my efforts this morning.

Tppk two of us and large screwdriver - but did it on the end. Neither of us have fingers or thumbs strong enough to open the paint in the way it indicated. I loosened the outside bit either side first then the grlf pressed the middle of the lid with both hands, while I used the screwdriver as a lever.

What a faff! Will never buy that paint again!

Used half tin today, then covered tin with cling film and didn't close lid properly so i can finish off the painting without all that pain tomorrow.
You want to push the cling film or a carrier bag/piece of plastic right down inside the tub so it's resting on the surface of the paint and right out to and up the sides of the tub, rather than just over the top of the tub with air between plastic and paint - just do it in a way that there is as little air as possible in contact with the surface of the paint in the tub/tin- that will help stop it going off.

No tab to break off, so it maybe it was a different style of lid you had. This lid was solid enough not to yield much at all. Or you must have thumbs of steel.

Back
Top Bottom