Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

only 845 attendance for first sat home game??

Lex

Why was this? was thinking the queues were going to be long, wouldn't get a good view etc but the atmoshere was as flat as the performance

Most of our fans that make up the 1500+ attendances are families with kids, and they are busy doing things other than football. Holidays, theme parks, BBQs etc.

I thought the atmosphere was good, sounded loud from the stand, considering we lost so badly!

Last season we got 877 at home to Canvey Island, so around the same crowd, as Canvey brought the 'difference' in away fans.

Hardly a panic....I was a bit shocked at how one fan said to me before the game he thought it would be 1,800!

Besides...there's been some posters on here moaning about the lack of enjoyment as the crowds got bigger...you can't have it both ways! ;)

I was hoping we'd get 1,000, but certainly wasn't expecting much more than that. For me the season starts too early, and one regular columnist in last week's NLP was complaining that our league didn't start a week earlier (i.e. the first Saturday in August) like the Southern League and the Conference. Until three years ago the Isthmian league traditionally started on the third Saturday of August; this was amended to the second Saturday in 2013 when the size of divisions increased to 24 and number of fixtures to 46. (Essentially one extra Saturday game and three extra midweek games. Midweek games always produce substantially lower attendances than for the same fixture played on a Saturday - we don't need these extra games.) Plus we have four cup competitions and we've just had ten pre-season games. It's too much. I don't need that much football. I'd rather have fewer games, quality over quantity, then I'd look forward to them more.

Most of our fans that make up the 1500+ attendances are families with kids, and they are busy doing things other than football. Holidays, theme parks, BBQs etc.

I thought the atmosphere was good, sounded loud from the stand, considering we lost so badly!

Spot on BIG. Only really seemed to go flat after the fourth Leiston goal which (unsurprisingly) seemed to knock the stuffing out of the fans and the players. We have s strong Student support and don't believe they are back yet. Should also note that Saturday saw the Camberwell Fair take place in Burgess Park so another event that would have impacted on the family support. Something like 35000 people turned up for that last year.

Last edited:

I guess this is probably correct but still always surprises me nonetheless - personally I much prefer going to matches at this time of year when the weather is good, than Nov-Feb when it's wet and freezing (not to mention the now-annual winter-time perormance slump).

Attendances at all game are lower in August. Even Premier League games have lots of empty seats as people are away on holiday etc, this doesn't always show up in attendance figures because most clubs publish the attendance total including season ticket holders even if they are not there. Just have a look on Match of the Day and you will see thousands of empty seats at Arsenal even at 'sold out' matches.

Attendances at all game are lower in August. Even Premier League games have lots of empty seats as people are away on holiday etc, this doesn't always show up in attendance figures because most clubs publish the attendance total including season ticket holders even if they are not there. Just have a look on Match of the Day and you will see thousands of empty seats at Arsenal even at 'sold out' matches.
So 322 empty seats against Liverpool is thousands iyo? Perhaps you could link to where arsenal say they count all season ticket holders as present, or hold your hands up and say it's supposition and not fact.

Agree; we've been a couple of hundred down on our late season average in the Conference National and we have a new manager etc and a fair bit of buzz so although not the excitement of the run-in don't think it's the football that's keeping people away.

So 322 empty seats against Liverpool is thousands iyo? Perhaps you could link to where arsenal say they count all season ticket holders as present, or hold your hands up and say it's supposition and not fact.

Arsenal announce attendances 6,000 higher than official Met Police figures

Arsenal released a statement to explain their position. “We are clear in all our communication that the figure we are announcing reflects the number of tickets sold," the club said.

“The club are comfortable with using ‘number of tickets sold’ as the measurement for attendances, and believe it is a reliable and relevant one. We have no plans to review this at present.

Would say that's pretty clear...

It has always been like that down at Millwall too.Lots of empty seats on Saturday that are usually taken by season ticket holders and families.

Attendances at all game are lower in August. Even Premier League games have lots of empty seats as people are away on holiday etc, this doesn't always show up in attendance figures because most clubs publish the attendance total including season ticket holders even if they are not there.
Any idea why clubs do this?

Arsenal announce attendances 6,000 higher than official Met Police figures

Arsenal released a statement to explain their position. “We are clear in all our communication that the figure we are announcing reflects the number of tickets sold," the club said.

“The club are comfortable with using ‘number of tickets sold’ as the measurement for attendances, and believe it is a reliable and relevant one. We have no plans to review this at present.

Would say that's pretty clear...
thank you
and if you could, please, with information on 'most clubs publish attendance figures including season ticket holders even if they are not there'.

thank you
and if you could, please, with information on 'most clubs publish attendance figures including season ticket holders even if they are not there'.

From that same article - "Arsenal, like most clubs, base attendance figures on the number of tickets sold rather than the number of people in attendance. The official figure will therefore include season ticket holders, whether they are at the game or not."

thank you

From that same article - "Arsenal, like most clubs, base attendance figures on the number of tickets sold rather than the number of people in attendance. The official figure will therefore include season ticket holders, whether they are at the game or not."

Back
Top Bottom