Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

# On The CD Player Today (take 6)

Prince - Sign 'O' The Times

I feel weird about this album. I love all his other classics, Purple Rain, Dirty Mind, 1999, et al, but this is a bit of a sprawling mess with no real focus, yet is often cited as his finest work.

Prince - Sign 'O' The Times

I feel weird about this album. I love all his other classics, Purple Rain, Dirty Mind, 1999, et al, but this is a bit of a sprawling mess with no real focus, yet is often cited as his finest work.

A lot of music journalists say that.
Me, I reckon it's because it's the best showcase of the breadth of his musical talent, because I certainly don't think it's his best album per se, as we discussed earlier. :)

yesterday: Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere

today: a bunch of freebie newspaper 70s/disco comps fronted by Tony Blackburn's remote controlled corpse.

Battles_GlossDrop_DIGITALpackshot.jpg

Steve Hillage - Motivation Radio
Alien Sex Fiend - Maximum Security
A Certain Ratio - Flight..And Then Again
cat sitting for a mate who has the most awesome record collection ever. that's just from the first box and there are more listen to. there are dozens more boxes. some of them i daren't play cos they're too valuable. feeling a little bit like bill bailey and dylan moran housesitting with priceless vintage wine bottles. <spills wine on record cover>
i have also discovered that cats and turntables don't mix

A lot of music journalists say that.
Me, I reckon it's because it's the best showcase of the breadth of his musical talent, because I certainly don't think it's his best album per se, as we discussed earlier. :)

Each to their own, ultimately. I'd say Purple Rain shows his range just as much, but is better, but it is only my opinion.

The Jam - Beat Surrender
Harry Mudie - Dub Conference, Vol.2
The La's - The La's

i share a birthday with the genius, giorgio moroder, so i have begun the 26th of April, pretty drunk, after a whole weekend of hedonism, listening to his ace productions. this is one of his best and is another reason to keep awake for yet another 15 minutes before reluctantly throwing in the towel:

kinell - not heard any GFR for YEARS! Used to bloody love them when I was 15!:cool:

I've been drawn to playing a fair bit of late '60s-early '70s hard rock-type stuff recently, GFR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Lizzy, Led Zep. GFR though, their sound was always a little bit different, a bit more stoned before "stoner rock" was a musical genre. :D

recent listening:
Vive Le Rock presents Revolution Rock
Scars Of Tomorrow - Design Your Own Fate
Tin Star - The Thrill Kisser
Hot Chip - The Warning
Kyle - Aphrodite
Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
^ re-recordings by a modernish lineup.
Classic Rock - Death From Above : a Rise Above Records sampler

Back
Top Bottom