Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics Countdown starts now

LOGOC have let this clip stay up. It doesnt feature the Olympic Stadium, but it does give a tantalising peep of something that is booked to happen tonight in a different part of London sometime between 9 and 10....

You know, JC, something you said ages ago about the grumps realising they'd 'missed the biggest party ever thrown' really spoke to me. It supported my saguinity and now I'm excited :cool:

I'm not sure what you mean by that last part, but yeah, it was sort of funny. The naysayers bragged about how they were going to leave town for the Games, and they did. Then, after what happened, and everyone else was talking about it so glowingly, the naysayers sort of took on the expressions of whipped dogs. They turned defensive in their explanations of why they skipped the biggest party ever.

Lots of TFL announcements telling everyone not to travel from where they live to where they work :D

It's not just Transport for London, at least one of the train companies, IIRC South West Trains, have been advising people heading to some Olympic event to travel by car! :facepalm: :D

Yep, it was South West Trains:

Rail bosses have recommended that spectators travelling to the Olympic sailing events in Weymouth go by car.

South West Trains has warned there could be significant disruption during the Games, with an extra 80,000 passengers a day on its network.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-18874000

Of course you are! :)

Oh, I am - the 12th of August, I have absolutely no interest in the Olympics or indeed any sports or sports events whatsoever.

I may make an exception and watch the ladies beach volleyball, not that I have any interest in volleyball.

London is of course bigger, and with more people and larger excess crowds; but your subway infrastructure is that much larger as well. If they increase frequency to the max, it should be able to handle a hell of a lot of people.

Our trains usually run every four minutes. By increasing it to every one minute, capacity was increased fourfold.

At peak times, the tube is often at the max already. At my station, Bethnal Green, I get irked if I see four minutes' wait for the next train at peak times, not just because I'm spoilt (though there's that too), but because that train will invariably be much fuller than usual - you just can't get on. I usually just hang on till the next train a minute later or sometimes the one after that (or the one after that). But they're saying we'll have to wait an hour to get to platform. This is what they're planning for and expecting people to live with.

This station, btw, currently has works underway for a memorial for 140+ people who were killed in a stampede during an alert in WWII. It still has exactly the same infrastructure; the stairs are the same narrow ones where babies got trampled underfoot. At peak times it always feels overcrowded and it's hot and stuffy on the coldest of days.

Yesterday at this station, of the three ticket machines, only one of which actually takes notes, one was working. No members of staff around to help, humungous queue for the sole manned ticket office, meaning three of the seven or so barriers were inaccessible. :facepalm: FFS - I thought they'd actually make sure at least the ticket machines were up to scratch.

The tube journey itself was fine though, so there is hope. There weren't actually many more people than usual, it was just that the station was borked. A station two stops from Stratford. Stratford itself was carnage, my friend who works there says.

My point wasn't really that the transport system will be so overloaded - I do still think it might not be as bad they say because maybe they're not taking into account all the people who've been allowed to work from home or who've taken leave when they might not have done usually, and surely a few people will give up and walk or something? But that there has been SO much advertising saying that it'll be terrible that it has increased the doom and gloom.

Stratford to Liverpool Street/Bank is the busiest part of the network at peak times, apparently (I read one time).

I gave up on waiting for 3 packed trains at B Green and learned to love the District line :D

Yesterday at this station, of the three ticket machines, only one of which actually takes notes, one was working. No members of staff around to help, humungous queue for the sole manned ticket office, meaning three of the seven or so barriers were inaccessible. :facepalm: FFS - I thought they'd actually make sure at least the ticket machines were up to scratch.

Again: somebody's fucking up. Here, they had extra machines, special low portable fencing to create queues if crowds got too large and to separate egress from ingress; and a horde of worker/volunteers in color-coded jackets, some with bullhorns, to help with questions and to facilitate crowd movement.

09-wf-lifeguard.jpg

02-transithost1.jpg

...and the crowds were large:

picture-21.png

Again: somebody's fucking up. Here, they had extra machines, special low portable fencing to create queues if crowds got too large and to separate egress from ingress; and a horde of worker/volunteers in color-coded jackets, some with bullhorns, to help with questions and to facilitate crowd movement.

09-wf-lifeguard.jpg

02-transithost1.jpg

...and the crowds were large:

picture-21.png

TBF, the Olympics haven't officially started yet, so there might be some of that stuff in place, but at Bethnal Green there just won't be room for much of it. There's a park behind one of the entrances so they should be able to queue some people up there if they're organised enough to think of it, but the other entrances are pretty narrow and the station itself is too (as most tube stations are, really). And, like I said, the wait times might be doom-mongering anyway. Making sure all the ticket machines are working will help.

The local paper, or something else? In the local paper I either bin it or go straight to the local history bit, which can actually be OK.

Nah, an actual letter. I've scanned it ... Let's see if I can work out how to post it.

Of course they are, this is Great Britain! :D

TBF, I expect a fair few minor cock-ups right up until the last day, these will generally be blown out of proportion by the media and provide some mildly amusing moments along the way.

I don't expect any major cock-ups and I expect overall it will be viewed as a great success, despite having no real interest in it I don't, like some, hope anything major goes wrong - I've never been one to piss on someone else's party.

LOGOC have let this clip stay up. It doesnt feature the Olympic Stadium, but it does give a tantalising peep of something that is booked to happen tonight in a different part of London sometime between 9 and 10....

Maybe James Bond is going by boat if the weather's too bad for helicopter? :hmm:

What time does the opening ceremony start, and how long does it last?

Thanks - I'm going to be watchiong it with the kids and want to know how late they can stay up :)

Back
Top Bottom